GOT a Zookie! "OVERKILL!"

Latest progress on the build has been centered around the Brakes for a couple weeks. Keep in mind I did automotive brakes, suspension, and alignment as well as electrical for damn near 2 decades so I know my way around a brakes system. Just took my time and too much was away from the shop. ;)
The individual units were right on par with the rest of this bike, NASTY looking. But when I gave the outside a quick cleaning and pulled the dust boots, the pistons on the calipers were in GREAT shape and the masters looked to be mechanically fine as well. Just frozen slides and white chalk aluminum.
So I pulled the bleeders, cleaned them and made sure they were clear, flushed the old fluid with new, then using a small wood block in place of the pads to not over extend the piston, pumped them out and double checked for pitting and found none. So a light coat of fluid on them and compressed them back in. I cycled them in and out a few times to make sure they were moving free and evenly. The rear caliper is a dual piston unit so I fabbed a clamp to hold the free moving side piston while I worked on the other. Got everything moving nice and smooth.
Then came the detailing to clean up the corroded aluminum exteriors with a small wire wheel on my Dremel. The hose exterior protective springs were rotten so I removed them and cleaned the hoses. No cracks, and they look GREAT. A lot of washing with Brake-cleaner and a toothbrush later it all got masked off and applied 3 coats of Duplicolor’s ceramic Caliper paint. Two days to cure and then I lubed the slides and everything got re-installed. Last night I finished the rear so it was picture time. Sorry for the quality of the pics but low light in the shop, black parts, and a shaky hand will do that!

Nice work! I'm pretty crappy with the pic's too, hand always gets shakey while taking them.

Are they rubber hoses though? You gonna get some braided lines on there at some point?

+1. Looks good Hoosier!

When I did my dual discs, I talked to Beatnic about them. He found a kit from another bike that fit- so instead of ordering custom braided lines and fittings for big $$$, the kit was a little over half what I expected to pay.

peteGS said:
I'm guessing he's a member on here Rich? I have yet to source a line for my front brake...

He is- here and on the GSR. He doesn't post a whole bunch but the guy knows his stuff. And WFO named it- my kit was from Galfer (couldn't remember the manufacturer).

Oh yea, Braided stainless are in the future... but need to watch the budget. I've got things I NEED to replace before I replace things that are good. I know about Galfer kits, even seen them on e-bay. But being an Industrial Maintenance Supervisor now, I got my contacts. I get my hydraulic hoses for work made at TF&E in Ft Wayne, IN. http://www.tfe-inc.com/ . I go to the counter and they can make from 1/8" up to massive 4" - 4000PSI JIC fitting 4 row hoses while I wait. But honestly, these feel so damn good and firm now I need to go back and bleed my 'oldWings brakes, they seem too spongy by comparison! It may wind up getting the braided stainless steel lines first. ::)
On another note, I am off work next week, vacation time! Talked to the wifey and she agrees it's a good time to buy some paint and get that part done, GOD I love that woman!

Hoosier Daddy said:
Oh yea, Braided stainless are in the future... but need to watch the budget. I've got things I NEED to replace before I replace things that are good. I know about Galfer kits, even seen them on e-bay. But being an Industrial Maintenance Supervisor now, I got my contacts. I get my hydraulic hoses for work made at TF&E in Ft Wayne, IN. http://www.tfe-inc.com/ . I go to the counter and they can make from 1/8" up to massive 4" - 4000PSI JIC fitting 4 row hoses while I wait. But honestly, these feel so damn good and firm now I need to go back and bleed my 'oldWings brakes, they seem too spongy by comparison! It may wind up getting the braided stainless steel lines first. ::)
On another note, I am off work next week, vacation time! Talked to the wifey and she agrees it's a good time to buy some paint and get that part done, GOD I love that woman!

Awesome dude! Definitely sounds like a plan :D

Doing the braided lines later makes sense, definitely get the stuff done in the order they need to get done. I'm not rushing mine for exactly that reason, but I'm definitely not putting the dodgy old rubber one back on... not sure if it's the original but it's at least older than I got the bike back in about '97 or '98...

Must say my wife's been pretty good with mine too. Can be a PITA to get normal weekend time usually but if I want to take a day or a week off to get stuff done and there's budget, she's usually all in favour... and speaking of that reminds me I need to start planning a week off myself to do paint later this year... ;)

Make sure you post lots of progress pic's and process details because I'll need all the help I can get when I'm at that point...

brakes look fantastic!!! look at some sport bikes for braided lines the lst 3 sets i put on vintage bikes i got for 10 - 15 bucks off take offs from GSXR's

Tank is ready for paint. I took some JB Weld and filled in the badge mounts after roughing up the area with a 60g disc in the die grinder. Used the same 2" disc to shape it smooth and them some premium quality Bondo Gold on that area and what was left of the half dozen or so dents that the Ding-King didn't quite remove. Then filled the emblem holes in the side covers with epoxy and micro-ballons, sanded smooth.
Then shot everything in white primer and sanded with 400g. Paint is bought, Duplicolors White and "Intense Blue Metalic", assorted different widths of masking tape 1/4" to 2" for the EVH paint job.
AND THEN.... Like someone flipped a switch... the temps dropped and rain hit, even when it isn't raining it's over 90% humidity, supposed to go on till Saturday. ::)

On a good note, the Uni air filter is ordered and on it's way.

161-Uni-filter_med.jpg

Thanks Rich, I was starting to have second thoughts on it but your comment came just in time. I really do want to do this! It would be curing by now if Mother Nature wasn't such a fickle bitch. Tomorrow it's back to work for me and I am relegated to evenings and weekends to try and get this done.
Damn-it.

Hoosier Daddy said:
Thanks Rich, I was starting to have second thoughts on it but your comment came just in time. I really do want to do this! It would be curing by now if Mother Nature wasn't such a fickle bitch. Tomorrow it's back to work for me and I am relegated to evenings and weekends to try and get this done.
Damn-it.

I feel your pain... and I agree with Rich!

You gotta do that paint job, I think it will be super cool...

Thanks Pete. That settles it then, doing what I want instead of second guessing anymore.
Sunday... The sun is out this morning!
But it's so humid the house window are all steamed up.. The Hygrometer inside the house here shows 72%.
Guess I'll work on the controls and wiring !

Hoosier Daddy said:
Thanks Pete. That settles it then, doing what I want instead of second guessing anymore.
Sunday... The sun is out this morning!
But it's so humid the house window are all steamed up.. The Hygrometer inside the house here shows 72%.
Guess I'll work on the controls and wiring !

As I believe we've discussed before, better to do that than nothing ;)

Spent the day in the shop... Hurah!
I got the control switches cleaned and mounted, the throttle and clutch cables cleaned and lubed The exhaust hanger fabbed and installed (looks efin good I might add) by then it was 4:00 and I emerged to find it was a pretty nice afternoon... Hey... Nice weather ALL day! Checked the gauge and it said it dropped to 62 % humidity.
I put two cans of the white laquer in the sink filled with warm water. Gave eveything a final wipe down, threw covers on the bikes then went in and grabbed the paint and out to the shop I went. 6 coats later and this is the first stages outcome. Almost looks too good wet sand. Some very slight orange peel on the one side cover but it will come out once I let it curesfor a while and then wet sand for the next color... Go ahead, touch it ... it's dry. ;)

looking good man, I hope to start repainting withing the next two weeks as well. hope it turns out as good as yours.

OH I couldn't stand it... 3rd day of nice weather and tomorrow 2 cold fronts are moving in back to back. So when I got home I wet sanded the white, masked it off rolled the dice and shot the blue.

Nervous touching a couple of test spots but just like the can said, after an hour it was safe to the touch.

When I laid out the stripes on the tank, I thought about the side covers position. So I mounted the 3 on the bike and the side covers are a continuation of a couple stripes from the tank.

Next comes a black stripe of two, think I aleady know where I am putting one.

Back
Top Bottom