GOT a Zookie! "OVERKILL!"

Staffy said:
Have a go with the vinyl and if it looks like ass then take it round and get the quote.

+1 if you're keen to do it yourself...

Personally I'm not even gonna try because I know I'd bollocks it up, but going by your GL I reckon you'll do fine :)

Soounds like a plan... I also sewed the cover on the "Lil Sister" CB seat out of the same vinyl as the the GL's. I'll have to buy more to do it, but I have been pokin around on e-bay and I can pick up more pretty cheap...
Thanks guys

Hoosier Daddy said:
Soounds like a plan... I also sewed the cover on the "Lil Sister" CB seat out of the same vinyl as the the GL's. I'll have to buy more to do it, but I have been pokin around on e-bay and I can pick up more pretty cheap...
Thanks guys

Well come on then, is it done yet? :p

Takin the seat and leather to the ulpholstery guy Friday for a quote and check out his sullpy of vinyl to DIY a cover on the wifeys sewing machine if I go that route. I figured it'll save shipping and I know what i'll be getting.

Today the Mailman cometh... Thank you Dime City!

HMMM those turn signals are a different company than what I got from dcc, look like the same part though......
IMG_20110815_204546.jpg

peteGS said:
Are they on yet? :p
Well, define "on" ;) If you mean "Mounted"?
Then yes, eyes popped open at 3:00 am and my mind started turning. Swear I could hear those parts calling my name... So coffee on and out to the shop I went. Had them mounted by the time I should have been waking up. Still need to wire it all in but want to clean all the original bullet connection points first.

Then this afternoon I actually found black marine grade vinyl and thin foam... had to run to the big city on an errand and stopped by a shop there that had it. So tonight looks free and clear for some seat work!!

Seat update as requested! ;) Since the seat pan was molded I needed to devise a way to mount it. I had a few possible solutions rollin around in my head when I was designing it so here is the way I finally went. I found these tube clips in the trash at work that are used to mount shelving to 1" round pipe and went back to the frame a cut off the original front seat mounts. Naturally that meant a little touch up paint on the frame.
When I had mocked it up I had forgotten the rubber cushion at the rear of the fuel tank so once it was installed the front of the seat was too low.
I attached the clips to thin pieces of wood then glassed those to the bottom of the seat pan. This gave me a way to mount the clips and raise the front of the seat to the proper height...

I will be using some small flathead (countersunk) screws to hold them more secure than relying on the glue....
Next came how to mount the rear. Since I brought the rear fender around forward to shorten it up and that left the original fender mounting holes wide open to use for the seat. I picked up some blind nuts and bolts in a sturdy size of 5/16" (or about 8mm)

I set the seat in place and marked the holes to drill on the rear...

Then scuffed the location with 80g sanding disc, mixxed up some epoxy and pressed the blind nuts in place. I found it was easier to use a large socket as a "Reciever" on the inside and channel locks pressing on a bolt installed in the nuts to seat them through the fiberglass.

And here is the outcome, I think it lined up pretty darn good and now I can move onto covering the entire thing with thin foam and sew up my vinyl cover ... or take it to the ulpholstry guy to sew my leather into a cover.

I'll say it again over here... I like it ;) I especially like how it joins up to the tank like it was made that way... which it was of course, but you know what I mean ::)

Last nights progress. Using some spray adhesive and thin 1/2" foam, I started attached it in sections. Starting in the center and worked my way out to the edges to keep from getting a wrinkle.
I had just done the top, front, and back, keeping it smooth and taught until the adhesive had set, then rolled it over to do the sides.

This is the how it came out, just enough to hide and imperfections in the glass and give me a smooth base for the cover. I just tucked the excess underneath for the pics because wanted to wait to trim it off and let everything dry just in case there was any shrinkage.

Hoosier Daddy said:
Unlike your avatar Swag, there is an inch of high density padding you can not see... ;)

Gold! Pure gold! ;D

But is that padding you *can* see high density or low density? Looks fairly firm regardless :p

I thnk it will be fine. I used a piece of high density pad about an inch think on my cafe seat and was able to ride 8 hours in a day and it was really quite comfortable. It supports without a lot of compression as apposed to the old shit in the 60-80's bikes that had to be think to support after compressing so far.

Looking good Hoosier. The cover should go on without a wrinkle.

Back
Top Bottom