GOT a Zookie! "OVERKILL!"

Yeah, it should be fine. I used the same 1" on both my previous builds seats and turned out pretty comfy. The thinner green foam is not firm, but it's just to smooth out the pan flaws. Didn't want to attach the vinyl cover directly to the glass and see a wave in the edges.
I will admit I took a look at the wifey's yoga mat... but decided it was not in my best interest. ::)

Wise man! Leave that yoga mat alone ;)

If I had a lower profile seat on mine, that higher density stuff definitely would be just fine.

Two layers of foam was the perfect height though which is why I went one layer of high and one layer of the next grade down and it seems to have worked well as far as sitting on it in the garage goes (did a bit more of that last night).

I think you'll be fine with what you've got there :)

Now hurry up and get her covered ok? ;D

I got the seat cover sewn up this weekend...

Then last night warmed it up under the heater while I was digging out my clamps and wood strips and then started the install.

This method has paid off in the past, so I hope it will work for me again. Proof will be when I come home tonight and move the clamps for the next sections. ;)

Well, here it is. It doesn't cover the lip on the tank like I planned, thicker final layer of foam would have helped, mabe I can elongate the holes in the fender and move it forward some... But it does fit the fender nice and my mounting holes lined right up. As a bonus it feels really good to sit on, no sharp corners under my thighs and seems plenty padded, doubt if I could run the IronButt on it but will be fine for cruising around town and maybe a few 1/4 mile jaunts at the track. ;)

Agreed- great work here Hoosier. What all is left to do? Put some gas in it and charge the battery?

Love that paint.......

have you thought about tie'n the white into the wheels, with it on the shocks and that being the only white back there it looks a bit out of place to me... really love how the rear fender and tail light came out, there is just so much going on with chrome, blue, while, flat black, silver, brushed silver, gloss black, polished, and gun metal...
i think getting that down to a bit more uniform would help pull it all togehter man

Thanks guys, really appreciate the props... and Joe I value your input. Funny thing is I was thinking the same thing, looks kind of busy, even with that mellow paint job. ;)
I was hoping the black seat would help tie it all together more. I don't know why the shock springs look white in the pics as they are silver... but maybe if I re-shoot them black it will help. Maybe a small chrome front fender? But yes, the gray, silver, chrome, black, blue and white don't flow as I planned.
*OR* you need to drum up some PC business to get rid of all that excess black colored powder you got. :)
Officially whats left?
-
I soldered and heat-shinked in some extentions for the tail and turn sigs wiring, need to tidy up the run and plug everything in. -Horn, I conected the original and verified it still works but it's ugly as sin.
-Pick up 4 qts of oil and another filter then run it until warm then drain and refill, get the nasties washed out for good.
-Mirrors: I know that seems minor but for some reason picking the right style of mirror by a picture on the internet baffles me. That is the one thing I want to change on the 'oldWing too.
-Headlight trim ring: It's purely cosmetic but this one has a dent with a scuff
It's got gas and run it evry week until warmed up... so if a freak nice day comes, I COULD take it for a shake down ride

i would not go black man... try and pull more of the frame color though the bike... i think that would look really nice

Oh PA-LEEZE! Sunday morning is my time to go out to the shop and play before the Wifey wakes up and it's only friggin 14F (-10C) out there this morning!!!
Plugged in the kerosene torpedo heater just to get it warm enough for the propane tank to convert from a liquid to a gas to fire up the GOOD heater.... I'm gettin too old for this crap!
I did get some chrome engine bits off e-bay and got them installed the other night, plus dressed up the wiring so I am making progress... but DAMN! It looks like winter is officially here finally, and I am almost ready for a shake-down run around the block.

Frozen-frozen-freeze-winter-smiley-emoticon-000590-large.gif

That reminds me of a conversation I had with my neighbor. He is a truck driver and I'm a machinist. One time we were talking about how crappy the weather can be sometimes and he said "Rich, why do we live here? I can drive trucks anywhere down south and I'm sure there are machine shops down there as well."

I really didn't have a good answer.......

Make sure there's no ice on the roads and dress warm! You can still get that shake down run in.

Finally got the money transfer completed into Pay-pal and ordered a pair of these mirrors this morning... I like how there is no plastic and the height of the tube stem is adjustable. Report to follw once I actually lay my eyes and hands on them.

supersize.jpg

Thanks Pete I am thinking with them being adjustable in height I should be happy with them.
Now for the big news... she runs and MOVES! Thats right, here in the Hoosier State it's warmed up to 34 degrees (1C) and I actually rode her!
OK only to the corner and back as it was cold, dark, and damp... but I just couldn't help myself. Started out innocently enough with me out in the shop checking what all needed done, checking the torque on the axles and putting cotter pins in, then going through my head what needed done before actually riding it. Oiled the air filter and fired her up, once it was warm I ran out of excuses so I threw my leg over and raised the kick-stand.
Pretty uneventful as it was just a mile total. But enough to put a grin on my face! Several stop-n-go's in the beginning, one time it was a little stiff to get get out of first gear, but then gently got up to 5th gear. Return trip was more like a regular ride and felt great!

Congrats Hoosier! Definitely a great feeling.

But now what are you going to do for the rest of winter?

Big Rich said:
Congrats Hoosier! Definitely a great feeling.

But now what are you going to do for the rest of winter?
JustinLonghorn said:
I imagine he will find plenty to do with the two ladies in his avatar. Ha.

Heh heh... uhm.... no such luck.
But I do have a line on another project, nothing even remotely solid. Im told of a "old bike" owned by a Dad of a friend of a friend that could be had cheap if not free. Supposedly he got started on it as a project and lost interest. I drove by their place the other day and could see a roller without engine sitting outside the barn...
Plan on going over while I am off work next week. But SHHHHHH don't tell the Missus 8)

Do I need to say it again over here? Yup :D

Wahhooo! Awesome stuff dude! So glad to hear you got her for a run even if it was only a short one :D

And yes, please do tell of the next project...

Went for a longer ride yesterday... on December 26th it was 40+ and sunny(!)
This bike is gonna be a Hoot! I started her up in the shop and let her warm up a while then went around the block. Out here in the sticks thats 4 miles. Gradually working her through the gears harder and harder. Noticed once you get above 4 grand, the exhaust note is awesome and she really pulls. Pulled over to give her a quick inspect and grabbed a pic, then turned around and reversed the route. On the last stretch thought "OK here we go, if it's gonna break, nows the time".
From a rolling start went wide open throttle and grabbed second, then third... looked down and was already doin over 70... DAMN! WHAT A RUSH!
Once home I shut her down and figured after that the oil had flushed every nook and cranny inside the engine so I gave her an oil / filter change while still warm to get the remaining grungies out, well deserved. Now this morning the snow is falling so she sits in the shop waiting for spring. At least I got a taste of what she is capable of WHOO-HOO!

2117918630026369651S600x600Q85.jpg

Back
Top Bottom