1984 Yamaha FJ1100 Touring Turd

Re: FJ1100 Crusty but Trusty

I bought a nice AGM battery and installed it on the bike, crossed my fingers, and turned the key. The neutral light came on...yes. Tried the foot brake, and it worked... yes. Tried the front brake, and the brake light came on...yes. Hit the horn button, and got nothing. Darn. Hit the starter button, and got... nothing. Hmm? Oh, I need to have the clutch in. Pulled in the clutch, pressed the starter button, and... nothing. Hmmm? Thought about it for a second, and saw the kickstand was down. Ah ha!!! Put the kick stand up, pulled in the clutch, hit the starter button, and... nothing. Damn!! I paused there and thought about it a little. Lets try the lights. Nothing! Damn!!!! No running lights and no blinkers. So either all those work when the bike is on, or I have some serious issues. First thing is get out the multimeter tomorrow and chase the power from point to point. I'll also try bypassing the solenoid to see if the starter turns the engine.

Yep - all the lights, indicators, etc should work with the ignition on regardless of whether the bike is running or not. Check fuses / power to the fusebox first up.

Also, the horn stopped working on an FJ1200 I had and it ended up being a corroded switch - a quick sand / clean and it came good (although your problems sound different). Worth checking this and the starter button nonetheless.

I was wishing for the moon, I just hooked everything up, I didn't clean anything and I didn't check anything. But there wasn't anything- buzzing or lights flickering a little, crackling, when I pressed all these buttons. Not a sound. My thoughts are that there is a safety switch not working for the starter, and to clean the controls and check the power to the fuses (as you statred). Good call! ;)

Did a little investigation this morning. Good news is that I have some power to everything. The bad news is that it's only 8.3V. I would venture to say that I need to start cleaning the controls and connections to everything. I understand how to take out the male ends out of the connections and clean them, but how do you guys clean the female ends?

If it's that low to everything check the ground from the battery first.

Yay!! I cleaned the connections for the right side control and the emergency stop switch and starter button both work now ;D I used a concoction of vinegar/salt for the cleaning, and then I dipped it in water with baking soda. Worked really well. I took the left side control apart and it will require some work, it is really filthy. I'll have to do that at work on Monday. I've attempted to install the chain it came with, but it appears to be too short by a link or two. I'll move the wheel all the way forward and see if that helps at all. After that I can hook up the return spring on the right foot control. I have to take the whole bracket off to get to it. I tried from underneath, but I couldn't do it.

So by getting the starter to turn the engine, this tells me the solenoid works, the control works, the starter works, the engine is free and the emergency stop button is functioning. And two of the spark plug wires don't have caps, and was creating a spark to the engine. So at least those coils appear to be working. All good in the hood!!!

I`m happy to report that I did get the chain and the foot brake return spring installed this morning. I also managed to clean the left control. Everything now works with the exception of the blinkers. I forgot my meter at work, so I`ll have to check voltage and continuity tomorrow. Also, the front light works with the hi/lo beam operation. ;D. I ordered new plug boots which should be here soon. I think while I wait for all that, I`ll change the oil, plugs and oil filter. I`m looking for reccomendations for oil. Should I get Yamaha specific, or conventional 15w40? I have read not to use any additives or synthetics. I understand the synthetic, but not the cleaner additives. Is it because of the clutch plates?

interceptor said:
I`m looking for reccomendations for oil. Should I get Yamaha specific, or conventional 15w40? I have read not to use any additives or synthetics. I understand the synthetic, but not the cleaner additives. Is it because of the clutch plates?

Yes - car oils with additives can muck up your clutch. You want to use a motorcycle specific oil, or a diesel oil like Rotella that has no friction modifiers.

If in doubt, get a semi synthetic 4 stroke motorcycle oil - 10w40. There's a bunch of brands out there.

Ok, thanks. There is a motorcycle dealer on my way home from work. Easy enough to stop and get some yamaha motor oil:)

Last week, I ordered a few things off of ebay. First was a new air filter. The one that came with the air box seemed like an aftermarket type, and I really need this to be stock because I don't want to rejet the carbs. (Not sure I would have had to, but who knows) I am worried about the exhaust because what came with it was a 4 into 1 pipe. Hopefully it won't cause too much trouble. Some other things I ordered were: a chain guard, rear foot rest-left side, and most important, a new shifter with the pivot bolt. I couldn't find that bolt and was going to try and make something, but when I received it in the mail, I'm glad I found one. The shifter is actually in better condition, and the pivot/mounting bolt is a lot different that I was picturing. I also cleaned up the front brake reservoir, and installed new crush washers for the hose. I'll grab some brake fluid and try to fill the front brake system tonight. While I was at the dealer, I also ordered another banjo bolt and washers for the hydraulic clutch. I didn't get around to installing the new spark plugs and changing the oil. I figured I'll do that when I check the valves, because I think I need to take the left cover off to rotate the engine anyways. On a side note, this bike is frickin heavy! I've been dealing with CB twins for that last 8 years, and forgot how heavy bikes can be. My V Star I had was heavy, but this thing is a tank!

Here's the funny thing. Even though I haven't gotten too much done in the last few days, I sit back and think about it, and actually I have. A couple of cotter pins, tightening some things, adding some bolts.... it all adds up. I got the piece of crap 4 into 1 header I got with the bike and put it in place. Two of the down pipes have been re welded. They actually fit into place, so I'll cut off the cobbled welds and weld it right. I think with some sanding and paint, it will actually work out. The only thing I am running into right now is that the outlet is 2.25" (57mm)! It seems kind of hard finding a slip on muffler that will fit that big of an outlet. I'm looking for some help with a solution here. Maybe I could build something? Or also looking for a cheap muffler if someone has one sitting around that might work. ebay has a few options, but nothing that I like.
Thanks in advance :)

It was a while ago, but I put a car muffler on my ZX9R and I'm pretty sure the inlet was 60mm.

ZX9During.jpg

In other words, a lot of 4-1 midpipes had a 60mm exit.

Hillsy, thanks for the response ;) That's pretty cool, I guess I would never have thought of that. With exhaust, is it ok to lengthen the whole thing? I mean to say that the outlet is on the right side, right below my foot. I'd like to lengthen the mid section to allow the muffler to sit back more.

Absolutely. It will probably run pretty bad if it ends near the foot pegs anyway.

Today is a big day for me. I received the spark plug boots I've been waiting for yesterday!! I took some time to install the spark plugs a few days ago, installed the new spark plug boots (NGK), installed two new rear brake/running light bulbs (working now), and installed the 4 into header. It turns over and has spark. I'm going to attempt to start it today. If all goes well, I'll be reporting good news later :D

I installed the fuel tank this afternoon, plugged everything in, put some fuel in the tank, crossed my fingers I wouldn`t see any leaks. After watching for a good five minutes, I felt good to go. Turned the key to on, twisted the choke, hit the starter button and..... vrroooommmm!! Its alive! Sounds pretty good with the open exhaust, too . All four pipes were getting hot and when i reved it up, no stumbles and returned to idle quickly. Pretty damn sweet. On a side note, I did order a muffler that will be here later this week. All I have to do now is bleed the brakes and the clutch and I`ll see how it does on the road.

Back
Top Bottom