Harley Davidson, waving, and "the nod line"

Scooter trash said:
The point to be made there is a pecking order. I enjoy stirring the pot wearing my Nazi helmet, black leather jacket on the Chinese scooter.

Wearing the wrong uniform on a Harley is fun too.

You're right, that is kind of the point. But also that those who think they're on top are usually the typical nouveau Harley guy dressing down for the weekend.

Your photo reminds me of a guy I saw in Phoenix once -- typical grizzled Harley guy -- not a newfangled dressed down lawyer, but real dirtbag type, full leather, Nazi helmet, grimy beard, the works, riding a little Honda moped. Hilarious shit!

J-Rod10 said:
Spend much time in the Orange Mound area, Tune? Nice place, I hear.

It's where I send all the tourists for a real good look at Elvis's home town. One foot out the door and just got here a short time ago. Poverty makes desperate people do desperate things.

When they're coming at you, how do you know they're on a Harley? How do you tell one V-twin cruiser from another? Around here I don't wave because there are just too many motorcycles! You have to drive with one hand on the bar and the other constantly waving. Fortunately, most riders are the same mindset. I try to return waves....as long as it's not a Harley rider, or a BMW, or GoldWing, or...

This is hilarious... how about we agree this topic is along the same lines as... racism... haters gonna hate.

I hate the wave, I always have, the whole thing just seems silly to me. I also hate that I do it out of politeness and then get annoyed when I'm snubbed by another rider. I tend not to do it in Toronto, as it seems like everyone who rides here has their head up their ass, but I will return it, of course. I do it when I get out of town, and I think probably because I'm dressed like a spaz and on an old shitty xs400, I get some sort of wave back from almost everyone. It's like being nice to the retarded kid, I guess.

It seems like everything I enjoy, I tend to think the other people involved in it are idiots, I'm beginning to wonder if it might be me...

Naaaah. It's the rest of the world that's wrong, for sure.

manuel labor said:
It seems like everything I enjoy, I tend to think the other people involved in it are idiots, I'm beginning to wonder if it might be me...

Naaaah. It's the rest of the world that's wrong, for sure.

I 'feel ya' Manuel Labor. :)

I wave or nod at 'em all. I used to get peeved when they didn't wave back, but not any more. :)

Haters hate. Jerks are jerks. :D

I never wave at anyone, period. I personally think its stupid. Why would I take my hands off the handlebars to wave at someone I don't know. What if my front tire blew right at that time of the wave and I crashed as a result because I couldn't control my bike. Don't they teach you in motorcycle safety to have both hands on the bars.
Its the same rationale behind why I get so irritated when I see idiots driving down the interstate at 70 MPH with one hand on their hips.

I'm up shifting at +70 so both hands until around 90 :eek: I reall y enjoy the front blowout with tubeless, those bad boys dump all the air in one big bang and the tire rolls off the bead so you rash the rim almost instantly too :eek: :eek:

sbaugz said:
I never wave at anyone, period. I personally think its stupid. Why would I take my hands off the handlebars to wave at someone I don't know. What if my front tire blew right at that time of the wave and I crashed as a result because I couldn't control my bike. Don't they teach you in motorcycle safety to have both hands on the bars.
Its the same rationale behind why I get so irritated when I see idiots driving down the interstate at 70 MPH with one hand on their hips.

I understand to each his own but getting worked up over seeing riders take their hands off the bars is sillyness. Caution is good on a bike but riding along worrying about all the "what if's" sure takes away from the pleasure of riding.

canyoncarver said:
I understand to each his own but getting worked up over seeing riders take their hands off the bars is sillyness. Caution is good on a bike but riding along worrying about all the "what if's" sure takes away from the pleasure of riding.

I assure you I gain as much pleasure as the next guy while riding my bike- while wearing full protective gear and BOTH hands on the handlebars. Maybe I value my life more than you value yours?

sbaugz said:

Never take a hand off while riding to adjust a mirror or close your visor? ::) Really. :)

It's not a "Forrest Gump" kinda wave, just a quick motion that lasts a second or 2. :)

sbaugz said:
I assure you I gain as much pleasure as the next guy while riding my bike- while wearing full protective gear and BOTH hands on the handlebars. Maybe I value my life more than you value yours?

Doubt it. Lame answer.

dg1 said:
What the hell you know??? You jump out'a perfectly good airplanes. ;)

Ha...hell yes I do. I also take my hands off my handlebars, run with scissors, and play with guns.... I must not value life...

canyoncarver said:
Doubt it. Lame answer.

Much agreed. By all likelihood, Steve Irwin should have been eaten by a croc, (being as he didn't always wear full gear =P) but he got barbed through the heart by a freaking stingray. I don't in any way think he "didn't value his life". He simply did what he loved. I think in a way he valued his life more than most because he "took a hand off the bar" every now and again.

Well we wouldn't have that famous quote by All Kidds America... "Look Mom No Hands" If we all were safety bugs ::)

Back
Top Bottom