Just say no to d-rings

IDhICQ8.gif

Haven't we seen three or four examples of mid to high end helmet mfgrs offering the quick release on new helmets right out of the box? It's not like it's even an option, it's the way they come. How is that being lazy or stupid? It may just be a development in helmets that people are going to have to learn to accept. Every now and then new stuff does come along. I can remember when people first argued that helmets may be dangerous to the wearer, actually some people still do argue that point and that only goes to show how resistant some people are to change. New things do come along and what used to be standard for us all eventually becomes as obsolete as jockey shifts and foot clutches.

The point isn't that it wouldn't be sewn on well enough, it's that the teeth on that fucker are gonna saw through your throat in the event of a head slide.

/thread.

How does the other side attach? There is not picture of that.

Just so people don't have to go looking.
vCEfOkn.jpg

I think the point most people are trying to make is that your insurer will more than likely not pay out if they were to find that your helmet had been modified.
Over here in Aus, if we remove the approval sticker that makes the whole helmet illegal for road use.

I've ridden with one for the last two years and can't begin to tell you how unlikely the sawing thru your neck or jugular scenario everyone is predicting seems. Especially in a full face helmet. I suppose a 3/4 or shorty would utilize a longer strap which may give it a little more play, but even so, have you ever heard of anyone being choked, strangled, or even getting a rope burn from a chin strap in a slide? I certainly haven't.

All I can say is that the last three helmets I bought have come equipped with the same type of closure. It wasn't even optional, I didn't ask for it, it was just the way they came out of the box. While not all top of the line, they were generally not cheap quality helmets. Who knows, we may be seeing the beginning of the end for d-rings closures.

Brodie said:
How does the other side attach? There is not picture of that.

Over here in Aus, if we remove the approval sticker that makes the whole helmet illegal for road use.

People sell knockoff DOT stickers here to get away with turtle shells... I think the buckle is likely safe and fine "for those who CHOOSE to use it" hell I waer a helmet for safety 50% and comfort the rest and in some states depending on how I plan to ride or where I don't wear one at all :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: it's my choice. I personally would not change the DD's but would not rule out the option if it passes the mustard.

Boudiepitbull said:
Haven't we seen three or four examples of mid to high end helmet mfgrs offering the quick release on new helmets right out of the box? It's not like it's even an option, it's the way they come. How is that being lazy or stupid? It may just be a development in helmets that people are going to have to learn to accept. Every now and then new stuff does come along. I can remember when people first argued that helmets may be dangerous to the wearer, actually some people still do argue that point and that only goes to show how resistant some people are to change. New things do come along and what used to be standard for us all eventually becomes as obsolete as jockey shifts and foot clutches.

There are helmets that use a snap lock like this:

s-l1000.jpg

But the lock we are talking about here is a friction strap lock which is quite a different story.

.... but even so, have you ever heard of anyone being choked, strangled, or even getting a rope burn from a chin strap in a slide? I certainly haven't.
Well now you have. Read the entire post. I have a nasty scar under my chin from the chin strap from a 40yd slide...BUT the fu*&%er stayed on my head. D-rings on a Shoei, or equivalent Snell/DOT only for my noggin'. Like Tuna said, it's personal preference.

didthetonatten said:
.... but even so, have you ever heard of anyone being choked, strangled, or even getting a rope burn from a chin strap in a slide? I certainly haven't.
Well now you have. Read the entire post. I have a nasty scar under my chin from the chin strap from a 40yd slide...BUT the fu*&%er stayed on my head. D-rings on a Shoei, or equivalent Snell/DOT only for my noggin'. Like Tuna said, it's personal preference.
Sorry, I underestimated the distance of the slide....I just re-read the report, they estimated 70 yds.! Now is it clear why a .10c buckle is just not acceptable?!

i dunno i dont like the idea of jaggedish larger than needed object pressed betweewn me throat and thorax or whatever the fuck it is .if i go for a tumble and get my chin smacshed onto my thotrax and getting a nastti confusion or even a slagged wound of the sarkofffgula

didthetonatten said:

Read my earlier post, 5 days in hospital without any external marks.
(surgical emphysema, it's like 'bubble wrap' under your skin)
Caused by sliding buckle on the old style 'square' helmet closer. That was totally smooth on the outside which is why I didn't have any lacerations. If hole in airway had been above vocal cords, nurse took great delight telling me it would be a very painful death ::)
Helmet did stay on though so I still have a face 8)

So in summary, we have a general consensus the quick release/attach buckle is a novelty and although safe as proved by third party testing is generally unaccepted by the riding community.

Thank you for your input, I ask you to kindly... move the fuck on... nothing to see here :eek:

Bit surprising, there are only a few hundred people who post regularly and two of us have had neck damage caused by helmet straps.
Maybe it's way more common than anyone wants to admit?

I had a pretty nasty bruise from the chin strap from when I laid down my CBR at 65mph 5 years ago. I'll have to dig through and find the pic. Though, it held the lid on my head.

Back
Top Bottom