Austin, TX

J-Rod10

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
Myself, one of the lady friends, and a few others are going down for the 4th of July week. What is there to do? I mean, the bars, strip clubs, I know, and know well, but, what else is there to do, like touristy shit?

Killer BBQ out there... I went to a sort of famous spot by a skatepark about 30 mins out of town, will try to find out exactly where. I like watching the bats emerge from under the bridge on the river as the sun goes down. Cool bars, the Yellowjacket Social Club is where I like to hangout (punk, skateboarders, motorcycle riders).

Was planning on looking up BBQ. I get to Memphis and Kansas City decently often for the pig, but Texas does brisket like no other.

coyote13 said:
Barton Springs or the greenbelt to cool off, hot as fuuuuuuuuuu down here right now
Hot??? We haven't even hit 100 yet.

There's lots of stuff to do. What do you like to do?

Little bit of everything.

Any good art museums? I plan on checking out the Presidential Library.

Last time I was in Austin was for SXSW a couple years ago. That is a bit of a blur. Before that, a recruiting trip to UT. It's been a while.

If you want BBQ go over to John Mueller Meat Co, you will not be disappointed. Brisket with bark like a tree, it's the bomb

Yes the LBJ Museum is great. They have a Beatles exhibition right now.

Blanton Art museum at UT. The Austin Museum of Art is good.

For music check out Austin City Limits and see who is playing.

The Long Center for music and theatre. It's a wonderful venue.

I FLY is indoor skydiving. Too cool.

Top Golf is a mega driving range. Google it.

Probably a show or race or event at COTA. COTA is stunning. XGAMES was last week.

Enjoy the city, 2nd Street for cool, 6th for bars. So Co is cool too.

Oasis for dinner and a sunset. Lake Travis has water now.

Water park in New Braunfels.

The Bob Bullock Texas State Museum is very nice. Has an Imax. The mosaic in the rotunda is wonderful.

The State Capital and Capital grounds is a nice walk tour. Then go south on Congress for a coffee.

That's just off the top of my head.

If you want riding routes let me know. 50 miles to 500.

Much appreciated, guys!

Do they do the super car driving deal at COTA?

I've done it a couple times, told the lady friend I'd take her if they do it there.

J-Rod10 said:
Much appreciated, guys!

Do they do the super car driving deal at COTA?

I've done it a couple times, told the lady friend I'd take her if they do it there.
If the GF likes shopping check out The Domain. It's pretty cool. Whole Foods, Neiman Marcus, Apple Store, boutique shops and lots of places to eat and drink. It's a former IBM Campus that's been converted to lofts, retail, and hotels. An outside shopping village, if you will. It's near Top Golf.

Not sure about Supercar, but lots of track days at COTA. Check their Web site.

For strip clubs Sugar's was the nice place 15 years ago. Yellow Rose is another. If you go to the south side of town you can find full nude if you're into that. The full nude is BYOB, they do sell set ups.

I've not been to any in 15 years so take it with a grain of salt.

Needless to say I love Austin, been 21 years after growing up in Denver for 29 years.

Oh, if you want to Boot Scoot check out the Broken Spoke. You never know who might be playing there.

Appreciate the info.

I'll probably spend more time in Neiman Marcus than the lady does. Not a place in Arkansas that sells the jeans I wear. Neiman does.

When we crossed the country last Spring we stayed over with friends in Wimberley, just outside of Austin. They took us swimming at a little park called The Blue Hole. I don't know how they fared after the recent flash floods out there, but I would go back in a heartbeat. I know it has nothing to do with shopping, bars, or strippers, but to my city dwelling ass it was an enchanted place, and the best little swimming hole I've ever seen. Climb a tree and jump into some ice cold water. Spend some time on a hot afternoon there. You won't regret it.

Quite a few of this swimming holes in and around Austin. Ask your bartender, they've probably got a "secret spot"

I have a good friend down there, he just works all the time, and is in slightly dif fe rent things than I, except for nature. I'm a fiend for a good swimming hole.

Back
Top Bottom