cb125 missing tappet nut

rupaulpierce said:
Where might one find a missing tappet lock nut in a cb125?

If you're lucky, just inside the valve cover, if you're unlucky it fell down the cam chain valley and is now in the bottom of your motor

Yeah I don't see it in there... would it make it's way to the oil pan? I also read somewhere that people have lifted up the head and found it sitting there.

It's most likely in the head still caught between a valve spring and the head casting. It could have found its way to the bottom end. Pull the sump/sump plate/drain screw and see if you can flush it out. Don't be surprised it it's hanging up inside the motor held in place by sticky old oil.

not finding it around the valves... trying to understand the passages and where i have access to poke around with a magnet, anyone know the motor? if it traveled with the cam chain, could it be under the alternator? if i can't find it, can i just cross my fingers and ignore it?

Ever had a motor lock up on you at speed?

The 125 is dead nuts simple. Rebuild it and make sure there's nothing bouncing around in there.

I've got both engine covers off, poking around seeing if I can find this nut without taking the whole engine apart...

Doesn't seem to be in the oil pan, I can't hear it bouncing around or anything. Could it get into the valve spring? What are the possibilities?

Was it there before? As in, have you seen it ever during the time you've owned the bike?

Could be someone's lazy mechanic work just leaving it out. You never know. I'd tear down the motor just to be safe though ::)

adventurco said:
Was it there before? As in, have you seen it ever during the time you've owned the bike?

Could be someone's lazy mechanic work just leaving it out. You never know. I'd tear down the motor just to be safe though ::)

it's in there somewhere, just having trouble picturing where. Doesn't seem like it would fit in/around the valve spring or through the passage to the cam chain.

Back
Top Bottom