1974 Honda CB360 - Tire / Rim size

tozer9

Hi,

I'm looking to put a larger front rim/tire combo on the front of my CB360 and a wider rear tire on the stock rim.

1) Is there a max rim/tire size that I can get away with on the front of the CB360?
2) What is the max tire width I can put on the stock rim and not interfere with the clearance of the rear end?

Thanks

I've seen a few out there with larger diameter front tires, looks good. For the back tire, why not go a little wider?
I'm not looking to have this bike look stock. There will be some stock parts, but I want to give it a modern look.

I hear ya.

Theres a few issues though. The first and foremost is that when you put larger tires on stock rims, it becomes dangerous. It also really screws with the handling. Theres a few (much more intelligently worded than anything Ill type) threads about this here.

You can fit a slightly wider rim to the stock hubs, but than you run into the issue of spokes not fitting correctly.

You can get a wider wheel all together, but thats tough, as theres very little clearance as is.

What exactly are your plans for the bike? Thats actually the real determining factor in this.

+1 for Von,

but i do have to tilt, i have a 74 360 also, and i think i have a 90 up front, and a 100/110? in the rear, and honestly it really did make a difference as now it likes to just line up and go vs slighlty unstable with the previous stock sizes.

course it could have had other things that were done to to make the machine more stable.

who knows.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the concern and pushing me to think about this, but what I'm looking for is a larger diameter rim and tire combo up front, not even sure what it is currently. Not looking to put a larger tire on the stock front rim. I've seen a dirt bike tire up front and the size looks really good.

Rear end I was looking to put a fatter tire on, I understand there is a possible clearance issue, but looking to get a wider tire with respect to the clearance that exists.

Thanks

Not sure if this helps, I wanted to do the same thing on my 75 cl360 but wider tires on front and rear. Stock tires were 3.00x18 and 3.50x18( thats what it said on the stock tires). My shop told me i could only safely go up to a 3.50x18 and 4.10x18. Hope it helps, at least with the rear tire issue.

Good news on the rears, thanks.

What if I said I wanted to go up to a 20" wheel up front. I saw a CB that has a dirt bike tire up front, that was much larger and it looked good. Again, I'm talking size of tire, I'm not talking about putting dirt bike tire up there.

19 would be fairly easy. There are a lot of 19" CB wheels that should bolt right up. 21" wheel would be more expensive (custom spokes?). And then there's the overall diameter and travel of a 21" wheel- compress the forks in the trees and measure the distance from the wheel to the tree. Then add the extra 1.5" (about) from a 21" wheel and tire.

flip4eva83 said:
Not sure if this helps, I wanted to do the same thing on my 75 cl360 but wider tires on front and rear. Stock tires were 3.00x18 and 3.50x18( thats what it said on the stock tires). My shop told me i could only safely go up to a 3.50x18 and 4.10x18. Hope it helps, at least with the rear tire issue.

Duh, do you think maybe your shop has some in stock they want to offload?
That size will affect the handling, and not for the better.
I have the same size on a pair of wheels from one of the other 360's.
Because they are new I fitted them to see what happens
I rode about 140miles last weekend.
OK as long as your only going in a straight line, sucked pretty bad cornering around 55~60.
I wouldn't go wider than 3.25 front and 3.50 rear on stock rims if you want it to handle OK

"DUH" seriously, probably shouldnt make assumptions. First off, I had to order the tires, also how is adding a 1/4" of contact patch going to make a difference for the worse. These are mid 70's 360's not liter superbikes. Maybe we should keep people from putting modern suspension (forks and swingarms=wider wheels=wider tires) on these cafes. If what your saying is true its not going to handle very well. Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

flip4eva83 said:
"DUH" seriously, probably shouldnt make assumptions. First off, I had to order the tires, also how is adding a 1/4" of contact patch going to make a difference for the worse. These are mid 70's 360's not liter superbikes. Maybe we should keep people from putting modern suspension (forks and swingarms=wider wheels=wider tires) on these cafes. If what your saying is true its not going to handle very well. Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't make assumptions, but with limited information it's easy to fill in the gaps. ;D
Does anyone in your local shop actually have any experience of CB360's? (run them at 90+mph or even ridden one?)
The stock rims are marginal width for stock tyres.
When you fit wider tyre to stock rim, you REDUCE contact patch.
The tyre does get taller but it doesn't 'spread' to give a 'wider' tyre
If you fit wider rims, fitting wider tyres isn't a problem, modern sportbikes use a 6" wide rim for a 180~190mm tyre ( roughly 7.4" wide)
Front rim on stock 360 is 1.60" rear, 1.85".
All the measurements are taken on the inside, where the bead sits, the outside measurements are about 3/4" or more wider so sportbike would have a ~7" rim with 7.4" tyre, less than quarter inch 'overhang' (about 0.2" each side)
CB360 with a 2.4" 'outside width', a 3.50" tyre doesn't get 0.55 'overhang' each side, it gets a bit less as tyre beads are squeezed, taller tyre is less stable.
If you had any idea what you were taking about you wouldn't have asked here in the first place.
Handling is worse with oversize tyres on stock rims, bike is unstable, you didn't misunderstand anything.
I was jut relating a recent experience as I have a pair of wheels with oversize tyres fitted

What did I ask about? Not everyone that owns a cafe or a superbike for that matter does 90 (although we know thats what they are made to do). Simple enough, changing a tire and experiencing a different response in handling doesnt necessarily warrant it being for the worse. Only different than what your used too. Seat of the pants is how we judge mods. In a perfect world we could track test each mod we did...also (seriously not being a dick, whats with "tyre")?

PJ is from Europe. Hence tyre, not tire.

Also, check out Avon's site. Modern tyres.

Tire is what happens when you work 'hard' or stay up too long ;D
Tyre is the rubber thing you have on wheels.
You can tell immediately what is what when it's spelled correctly (did you check the check? Check the cheque makes a lot more sense, at least to me)
Blame Webster (of dictionary 'fame') and thank Washington
Webster 'invented' a completely new 'language' for America, Washington told him English was fine but allowed it to be 'miss-spelled'
Anyway,
I don't know your history but I've been riding, wrenching, racing and studying motorcycles for over 40 yrs, I'm not some newcomer into the latest 'fashion' (I'm also something of an authority on CB250/360 as I've worked on them longer than anyone else here, since the 70's)
If you don't want 'benefit' of my experience, that's OK

:D , thats what I was thinking, (different country). I am in the Army and was stationed in germany for a few years and got to do some traveling so I knew that you were spelling as it would be spelled from wherever you are. Just didnt know. But since I have your knowledge at my fingertips so to speak, (not to thread jack but, http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=24934.0 )

I'm running Avon Road Riders 120/90-18 REAR and 100/90-18 FRONT with NO issues with rubbing, turns light and neutral. I am able to get within 1cm of the absolute edge of the tire... IMO not bad for 40 year old suspension on the street. I feel that is good evidence for a respectable profile match of the tires and that this combo works very well.
Closest rub point would be the chain with 13mm (a bit over 1/2 inch) clearance. I will be moving my rear fender back as I'm have a 77CJ360 swing arm installed. It is the exact same width as the CB's, just ~30mm longer.

Pictures are worth a million words. I'll try and upload...

Attachments

• 2014 Summer howcam 002 (90).jpg
    2014 Summer howcam 002 (90).jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 655
Back
Top Bottom