Getting rid of the "triangle" side covers?

thefish

Been Around the Block
Hi guys, just got a 1983 Kawasaki 750 LTD with only 2300 miles on it. Been unridden and garage kept since the early 90s. I'm pretty stoked on turning it into a sweet little cafe racer. With that being said, this is my first time. So I've got a lot of questions.

Does anybody know if there is a way to toss the triangle side covers that hold all of the electrical work? I've seen it done plenty of times, but I'm not sure how exactly that works. I imagine there are ways to hide and minimize the electrical components but I do not know the best way to go about it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Attachments

• Kawasaki 750_1.JPG
    Kawasaki 750_1.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 319
Better get hands on help or spend some time learning about electrical systems before you try to relocate that stuff, wiring can be pretty tricky if you don't know what you are doing. Most people move the reg/rect, battery, etc. under the hump of a Cafe-style seat.

Before you screw around with wiring, grab a schematic for your bike, study it until you know it like the back of your hand and then go through the bike and physically learn where things are located. grab a DMM too to help identify wires and components.

Took a brand new harness, that everything worked on, cut and soldered extensions in it one wire at a time to make sure everything went where it was supposed to go. Got it all back together, blinkers didn't work.

Wiring is a major pain in the ass to relocate, for me anyhow.

Good luck.

"get it running first" - kudos to that. I got all excited thinking about all the cool stuff I could do. I now realize I was missing a vital part - getting it running first!

And now I found a small leak in my tank. Not sure if that is something that can be sealed up. Anybody have a spare tank from the 80's lying around? But seriously

thefish said:
"get it running first" - kudos to that. I got all excited thinking about all the cool stuff I could do. I now realize I was missing a vital part - getting it running first!

And now I found a small leak in my tank. Not sure if that is something that can be sealed up. Anybody have a spare tank from the 80's lying around? But seriously

Yes it can be sealed. Caswell makes one of the best sealers on the market. It prefers a rusty rough surface to adhere to and has Thixotropic properties allowing it to stay thick on the walls and not drain down to the low points when curing.

http://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

Re: Getting rid of the "triangle" side covers?

I'm doing the same on my 82 440 and honestly you can move a lot of the electrical components onto the seat brackets

Sent from my iPad using DO THE TON

wanted9 said:
I'm doing the same on my 82 440 and honestly you can move a lot of the electrical components onto the seat brackets

What about the battery - what are you doing for that?

I am welding a piece of sheet metal to the tail and since I have a seat cowl, it won't be seen but if you do that, you have to get a non spill able battery

wanted9 said:
I am welding a piece of sheet metal to the tail and since I have a seat cowl, it won't be seen but if you do that, you have to get a non spill able battery

Ah gotcha. That may be a project for later. Still working on getting it running.. gotta clean the carbs!

You can buy an antigravity battery 4 3/8" L x 1 3/8" W x 3 1/2", it's much smaller and can be laid on it's side flat, then build a little drop box that just extends down a couple inches from your current bottom of the seat, then you should be able to stuff a lot of the electrical into that without a ton of re-wiring. so a 4" box with padding should hold it and the frame is probably a couple inches so it would only hand down 2.

Attachments

• elecbox.jpg
    elecbox.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 899
Been thinking of putting a sheet of metal over the side cover instead of painting the original. Any thoughts or ideas on that?

steveinwa said:
You can buy an antigravity battery 4 3/8" L x 1 3/8" W x 3 1/2", it's much smaller and can be laid on it's side flat, then build a little drop box that just extends down a couple inches from your current bottom of the seat, then you should be able to stuff a lot of the electrical into that without a ton of re-wiring. so a 4" box with padding should hold it and the frame is probably a couple inches so it would only hand down 2.

Thanks man! Doesn't sound that over complicating. For now I'm thinking of putting some sheet metal over the electronics to take place of the side cover. Any thoughts or ideas on that?

thefish said:
Thanks man! Doesn't sound that over complicating. For now I'm thinking of putting some sheet metal over the electronics to take place of the side cover. Any thoughts or ideas on that?

You'll have to almost replicate the factory side panels as the electrics usually stick out from the frame a bit, so a flat sheet will not cover very well. You'll end up fabricating a replica unless you move the electrics and reduce the bulge required.

If you don't want to move the electrics, maybe just remodel the stock panel, add vent holes or slots/gills and paint it tank colour or satin black to hide it a bit. Don't lose sight of the overall look you're wanting....no point going to all this trouble to not modify other areas to suit.

I'm covering my electrics on my Honda CBX with a leather saddlebag on one side and a scrambler number roundel on the other.

Back
Top Bottom