First time cb400 Project

aaandht said:
Just planning on flat black body, chrome fender, some chrome on the handles. Maybe get new pipes and powder coat them black. Right now the bike smells like ass when it runs, my friends refuse to ride behind me ;D

As for the engine, just add a kick start, clean the carbs, maybe a K&N filter.

I think thats it :)

That sounds good. I have things set up to be black... but I have decided to change the scheme some. I will unveil is soon.

sxecafe said:
Hey man... yea I am. Are you?

I got into hardcore after i developed a love for beer sampling....so because of that i'm not

still, i love sXe hXc

champion FTW

you on theB9.com ?

CaTacl1sm said:
I got into hardcore after i developed a love for beer sampling....so because of that i'm not

still, i love sXe hXc

champion FTW

you on theB9.com ?
Hey man whatever works for you. Im edge more for the genetic reasons, and the music and lifestyle just seemed to fit once I found out about them but I already had the mindset.

No I cant say I know what that is. Should I check it out?

bridge 9 is a hardcore record label and they have a forum on their website: http://theb9.com/normal

its pretty awesome, just hardcore fans talking about anything and everything.
careful tho, they can be brutal to new people. and careful again because you can lose many nights hanging out there

stay posi!

Mine were 52 mm. You'll find that the right side pod fits REALLY snug against the frame... but it still fits. Ebay has a set of manometers to balance your carbs. Its really important to balance them after a rebuild. If they aren't the bike will run like a bag of crap.

As for the kick start. I believe the last year Honda had a 400 with a kick start was in 79..... and no... you unfortunately can not add one... (at least not with out spending some serious coin at a machine shop... and even then). I asked the same question about the bike after I did and engine swap. :p

The rebuild kit you but from Ebay doesn't have all of the parts needed for a complete rebuild. Some of the parts (like the little diaphragm on the Air Set Honda part number 16048-443-901 is stupid expensive (at least from the local guys). It basically a little leather and neoprene gasket the size of a quarter. I spent about 100 a piece and they supplied the lube (it was very gritty).

Canuck Plumber said:
As for the kick start. I believe the last year Honda had a 400 with a kick start was in 79..... and no... you unfortunately can not add one... (at least not with out spending some serious coin at a machine shop... and even then). I asked the same question about the bike after I did and engine swap. :p

Sonofabitch. Oh well.

I just got through my first tank. I put a bottle of techron though it. Yeah I know I was talking to my friend and used to putting it in my car I ended up pouring the whole bottle in. Fresh tank of gas and now it seems to run better. Not perfect but better. Going to try cleaning the carbs before rebuilding them, see if that does the trick.

Heres a copy of the micro fiche for the 79 CB400TII carbs. Other models had the same carbs.

1979_CARBURETOR.gif

I've been leaking from the pilot screw after riding the bike stop and go, what does that mean? Should I readjust the screws before anything else?

Canuck Plumber said:
Mine were 52 mm. You'll find that the right side pod fits REALLY snug against the frame... but it still fits. Ebay has a set of manometers to balance your carbs. Its really important to balance them after a rebuild. If they aren't the bike will run like a bag of crap.

You didnt have to rejet did you?

Ok So I finally got this MFer to a shop and did a compression reading. After the low low low read of 90 psi the whole thing came to a head in my... well head. After the partial seizure (did I tell that story if not let me know) I have some scoring and/or notches on the pistons which is why it has been running so shitty. I talked it over with a guy who has been helping me out (shout out to steve) and I am going to find a set of pistons and rings for this bitch.

The tear down starts this weekend!!! I'm pretty hyped. Now a real reason to get in to this thing. If I should know anything before I get knee deep in this bitch please let me know. Im tired of making newby mistakes and I want to finally RIDE!

SXE

clearly label and organize everything you take off. take lots of pictures so you can put it all together with out any left over pieces. i put bolts back in the holes they came out of and put misc parts in zip lock bags that i label with a marker and sometimes a description of how to put them back on. GOOD LUCK

Oh come on there should always be more bolts left over than when you started. Its just weight savings. ;) Good luck with it.

I just pulled the front tire off my bike, tomorrow its getting a new front tire. While that's getting done I'm going to pull the tank put new wires on and clean the carbs. If I can get it running good without a rebuild I'll be happy. If not, well rebuild and paint in 2 weeks.

I saw your project on caferacer.net forum and found the DTT site. Great site and I figured this is an appropriate place to introduce myself, at least to the 400 t guys.
sequenceyn9.jpg

WalMart has in a can about a foot high thats light blue and white, what is literally called AirCraft Stripper. Its the greatest thing I have done for this project yet. As much as I hate WalMart... they are the only place I have found that has it.

illking said:
I saw your project on caferacer.net forum and found the DTT site. Great site and I figured this is an appropriate place to introduce myself, at least to the 400 t guys.
sequenceyn9.jpg
WELCOME FELLOW 400er!!!! We have quite the presence over here. Lets see some pics of that bike buddy! That thing looks pretty sweet. Great photoshopping too.

Ok... Half day from work yesterday cause of the holiday and my bike is in pieces in the garage. It's 8:21 here and although it was a party last night I couldnt sleep cause Im so excited to work on my bike. The pistons and rings showed up yesterday while I was in mid-tear down and I was like a kid at christmas when I ran out to the UPS truck to receive what I hope will fix my bike. I will have updates by the end of the week end.

One thing, I need high temp to paint my mufflers... can i just buff the chrome off with a wire wheel and have at thee?

Peace my Tonner Brothers....

good luck man, I just finished my cb400t today, its running fast and loud. I'll get pictures once the weather clears up.

I like those gauges! the speed isnt to bad priced at $59.
Where did you get the tach from?
Also, how did th e hook up mechanically? Just using the stock speedo/tach cables?
Nice work too! Keep us updated.

I got the speedo from mikes, besides the clymers wiring diagram being completely wrong, it was pretty easy to wiring up all the lights. it looks sexy as hell, getting rid of that dookie console. there is a wiring bunch and a speedometer plug slot.

Back
Top Bottom