1975 Honda xl350 brat? tracker? project so far

wow, when i saw your first pic of the bike in it's original form, i wasn't too excited about what you'd be doing. by page 5, though, i can't wait to see what's next! awesome build, and the engine looks amazing with the chrome studs on black!

Thx for the compliments!!
looks like another vote for black forks.....

been busy with the baja trip, fathers day, jeepin, etc....

yeah should have some pix up soon.....workin on gettin the exhaust routed the way i want and i need to get that frame dipped or blasted or something to paint or powder....lots of grime and shit i dont really care to clean off myself...

on the way home from the mountains the other day i came across these 2 bikes i picked up for 25$ each.....gonna sell em to keep funding this project...
one is a yamaha rt1 360 and the other i think is a 175....the one tank looks kinda cool when i set it on my XL...and i could steal an 18" rim from one of them and lace it to the front of the xl if i wanted to run the firestones front and rear at 18"....

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 507
  • bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 410
  • bike3.jpg
    bike3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 444
  • bike4.jpg
    bike4.jpg
    854.7 KB · Views: 457
I really like that patina tank, the rest of your bike looks a little too clean for it though.

Looks great btw.

Thx Andrew. Well I sold the 2 bikes this morning. Bought them for 25 each and a guy is on the way with 100 each. So I got a lil money in case I need to pay someone to help me when it comes to wiring.

Finally got 2 hrs between the babys nap to cut the exhaust in to 3 sections to change and weld it up to exit on the right side just behind the foot peg.
I think it looks pretty good. Streched an old tshirt over the seat to get an idea of a black seat. Not sure I like the black......maybe it'll look better when its vinyl. Or maybe Brown? But then I gotta find Brown grips.
Still gotta paint the hubs on front and rear. And polish the other fork.
Here are a cpl pix to check out.

Attachments

• IMAG0376.jpg
    IMAG0376.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 538
  • IMAG0368.jpg
    IMAG0368.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 590
  • IMAG0366.jpg
    IMAG0366.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 4,372
  • IMAG0369.jpg
    IMAG0369.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 554
man is that thing cool!! i think a brown or tan seat would look sweet, too. and good thinking on wanting to match the grips. here's where i bought my grips:

https://www.battlescooterstore.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154ff0462804bea/shopdata/index.shopscript

they have a pretty wide selection of browns and tans (or "natural" i suppose is the correct term). i knew i wanted natural colored grips for my bike, and that's the best selection i found of old school grips.

Thx! 7alive! I think its petty unique so far.
And thx for the link. They do have a brown grip set I would go with if I go Brown on the seat!

ob1xl said:
Thx! 7alive! I think its petty unique so far.
And thx for the link. They do have a brown grip set I would go with if I go Brown on the seat!

sure thing! i think brown would be sweet, definitely not as common as black. i'm planning on matching my grips, seat, and exhaust wrap within the same color family. i feel like repeating certain colors like that can make, at least in this case, a seat look like less of an afterthought and more of a planned out idea haha.

i'm really lovin' this thing...very clean and simple.

i guess i'll be the first to vote against brown. the black/chrome, red combo is perfect. introducing another color into the field would be confusing. i like the black fork. it almost disappears against the tire/wheel. i would spray the headers with the black hi temp spray. but hey, its your bike and you're doing helluva good job so far.

Thx Casper!
i want to wrap the pipe with some exhaust wrap.....if i stay with the black seat i would probably do a black/grey wrap...if i go dark brown on the seat maybe a tan wrap or white? i dunno
i polished the other fork yesterday so will probably just leave the forks polished and call it a day.....
also painted the headlight bucket and the front and rear hubs...
ill possibly have a pic tonight

Dude looking sick!! Now that I see both legs, go black. Tan wrap and I would do up a brown seat and run whatever grips you want.
I am diggin this build!!

This bike is looking rad. Wrenching during naps too! Gotta be done. Like that knobby front tire. Keep this thing blacked out.

Thx jackditch.
Been outa state for a good week, plus 4th of July holiday week rock crawling, slowed progress. I should be able to get back on it this weekend. I was able to get the front fork springs cut to length and really like where its sitting.
Also bought a cool 63' Ford falcon 2 door hardtop that has been taking some of my time. Bought it from the original owner and it had been sitting on a farm in Colorado. It's pretty cool and all original. got it running and gonna give it the right stance and Probly sell it. Although its really growing on me and my kid too.
Back to the bike....I took a layer of the seat padding off to thin it out cuz I think that after I get it upholstered it woulda been too fat and I want a more sleek look.

Attachments

• 2012-06-18 16.48.27.jpg
    2012-06-18 16.48.27.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 464
  • 2012-06-15_14-41-03_716.jpg
    2012-06-15_14-41-03_716.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 421
  • 2012-06-24_18-35-28_633.jpg
    2012-06-24_18-35-28_633.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 413
Need to get some bolts to mount the passenger pegs and figure out how to keep them from rotating down. Maybe a little weld bubble on the side of the bracket. And find the paint for the frame if I dont do powder. Also forgot that I finally painted the front and rear beak plates.
I also want to run the old school dark yellow headlight. I think it will compliment the look of the bike! With the yellow chain and yellow Honda wings on the tank.

Attachments

• IMAG0368.jpg
    IMAG0368.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 531
  • tumblr_m69bmmvOGj1qdesszo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_m69bmmvOGj1qdesszo1_1280.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 457
Love this build. I'm restoring my dad's 1975 xl175 at the moment (slowly :-\). You're doing a great job on this.

One thing though, are you planning on painting that rear fender? It sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

Instead of Black or brown, what if you did a red seat to match the red in the tank? it would certainly be different. 8) Please excuse my shitty paint edit job. And feel free to ignore it as well! :D I can assure there will be no hard feelings.

Also, I want to clarify my fender statement. I think the chrome fender would look great with the polished forks and the exhaust how it is now. But if you decide to go with the black forks and pipe wrap, I think a black fender would look better.

xl350.jpg

Back
Top Bottom