1975 Honda xl350 brat? tracker? project so far

ob1xl

ok so im makin some progress and figured id share what i got so far....never posted so im gonna try to get the pix on here correctly..bear with me
bought for 400$
smoked quite a bit so got a nos piston and put it it.....

Attachments

• IMAG0221.jpg
    IMAG0221.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 839
Re: 1975 xl350 brat?

tore it down....lotta take off parts to get rid of...
i took off all un needed brackets, seat, air covers, battery, fenders...
i made lopped off the rear of the frame and made a rear loop...
put cb550 pegs on, cb550 shocks, disassembled, cleaned and painted the wheels...put new tires
fabbed up a battery box mounted to the frame under the swingarm
removed and painted motor
made a seat pan, padded it, about to send to upholstry...
still workin changing the new exhaust to stay on the right side of the bike..
after i get the rear fender brackets made for the cb550 fender i can send the frame to powder coat..
im tryin to get this build caught up on the site here, it would have been alot easier if i had taken pictures and posted as i went

Attachments

• IMAG0228.jpg
    IMAG0228.jpg
    909.2 KB · Views: 765
  • IMAG0229.jpg
    IMAG0229.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 856

more

Attachments

• bike15.jpg
    bike15.jpg
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 577
  • bike14.jpg
    bike14.jpg
    870.8 KB · Views: 657
  • bike13.jpg
    bike13.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,825
  • bike3.jpg
    bike3.jpg
    695.3 KB · Views: 589

not sure how to add more than one pic at a time

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    790.4 KB · Views: 605

pegs were tricky to get to work on the xl brackest but i was able to rig it up...
the wheels were so grimey and dirty that i had to take em apart to get em cleaned up and this was my first time lacing a rim...that was an interesting trial and error.

Attachments

• bike17.jpg
    bike17.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 662
  • bike16.jpg
    bike16.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 540
  • bike9.jpg
    bike9.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 546
  • bike7.jpg
    bike7.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 562

more....
sanding the fins on the motor was annoying lol but looks decent
the pic with the seat foam on the bike shows how u cant even see the battery...love it

Attachments

• bike10.jpg
    bike10.jpg
    888.8 KB · Views: 786
  • bike11.jpg
    bike11.jpg
    816.2 KB · Views: 1,973
  • bike12.jpg
    bike12.jpg
    805.6 KB · Views: 630

totally open to any questions, opinions, suggestions as this is the first bike ive ever built....!

the look of the bike is really growing on me..i bought the bike because i was in love with the way the tank looked and the patina that it has....may switch the front to an 18" rim to match the rear tire but i kinda like the look of the old trials tire so far

Swivel- ugh i hope the small cheap pod filter doesnt mess up the way it runs..i love the look of it and cant stand the big k&n filter that they offer for this bike...it looks like a big 16 beer can sticking out....i didnt want anything protruding into the triangle under the seat

so far im most proud of the battery box and the way u cant even see that sucker!

Good work so far, i like this. Do you have any close ups of the battery box or pics of the process?

here are the requested pix of the battery box....hope this helps

First i welded a piece of flat bar to the bottom cross member of the frame as a perch for the battery to sit on below the swingarm

then i found a plant stand that the neighbor was throwing away and used the steel strips from it to make a bracket to hold the battery to the bottom of the frame....

then i took the old rubber tube from the rear wheel and cut a section out to make a sleeve for the battery to insulate it from the perch and the bracket and to cover the battery in black so it was harder to see under there...

hope these pix can show what i did good enough...

Attachments

• bike5.jpg
    bike5.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 521
  • bike4.jpg
    bike4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 513
  • bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    989 KB · Views: 504
  • bike3.jpg
    bike3.jpg
    785.8 KB · Views: 530
more

Attachments

• bike6.jpg
    bike6.jpg
    781.8 KB · Views: 451
  • bike7.jpg
    bike7.jpg
    918.3 KB · Views: 510
  • bike8.jpg
    bike8.jpg
    969.2 KB · Views: 565
  • bike9.jpg
    bike9.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 600
thx!
just regular high temp engine paint from checker auto....one was flat and the other was semi-gloss...and then a stainless steel bolt kit i found to set it off....and sanded the edge of the fins on the top of the motor...

Im abord for the ride. I love old two stroke bikes. Got a DT250 Im doing some damn thing with. I don't know what to call it. A bratty cafe bob? lol

Mine is actually a 4 stroke but is love to see pix of yours too!
I try to get ideas from everyones bikes.

Back
Top Bottom