WTB XJ650R tank or similar

BillyBishop

Looking for a tank to replace my stock 81 XJ650 Maxim tank. Eyeing something less tear-droppy. Let me know what you have!

I don't know if this would fit easily, but I've got an '81 XS850 tank. It comes with both petcocks but no cap. Definitely not tear-droppy. Let me know if you'd like pictures.

I also have an '81 XS650 tank, but that one might be too small.

The XS tank will not fit on the XJ unless you're willing to do some serious mods - you'll need to cut the frame and re-weld.

If you want something that bolts straight on you can try the 750 seca tank but they are kinda like unicorn poop in that they are very hard to find. ;) - I got me an 550 Seca tank and it does fit but you need to widen the tunnel by about 1/3rd of an inch. I came up with an fun method for doing that which I'll point you at if you end up doing it. The rear bolt down hole is also about 1/2 an inch further back on the 550 seca tank too but that's a fairly easy fix with just a small piece of aluminum as bridge.

Reason I went for the 550 seca tank over the 750 is that I found one in great shape for $100 where as the 2 750 seca tanks on ebay I saw over a 3 month period needed a lot of work and were priced around $300 - $400. After the time and effort to fix they would have cost me over $500. If you see one for in good shape for less than $200 you should jump on it.

Edit -- here a link to the tank widening I did and pictures of my xj650 with the 550 seca tank on it... i think it looks a lot less teardroppy for sure which is also why I wanted to do it... haven't got it fully fixed internally yet but this show it completely installed.. the bike a bit different not though...

http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=415252.html#415252

Hi,
Don't know if this is still valid?
I happen to have a xj 650 k4o tank since I have replaced mine with a Kawa z650.
The Kawa tank fits right on in the front but need some minor modifications in the rear. Looks great on!
Let me know if you need the xj tank. Shipping from Sweden however :)

Back
Top Bottom