1974 CB360 Engine Troubles (I think)

crazypj said:
What colour wires are coming from aftermarket indicators?
You may have running lights in them and need body grounded?
There's one black and one green, one to power and one to ground

SHE FLIES LIKE A BEAST!

Unfortunately I don't have any open roads near me so I could only hit like 45mph, but I will let you know how the riding goes this weekend!

I took apart the carbs again and the float needle was stuck, oops

There is still this weird ticking noise coming from the engine, and if someone could please watch my video and let me know what's could be causing it I would appreciate it.

Also, there's little bursts of white smoke on quick accelerations, but I'll ride hard and see if some of that goes away.

Video: https://goo.gl/photos/YfdNrkBgNV37mp9VA

Great news.
Now Follow cam chain adjustment procedure and then re-check valve gaps.

trek97 said:
Great news.
Now Follow cam chain adjustment procedure and then re-check valve gaps.
I'm sorry guys I feel so helpless for asking this question so many times...

But I can't get that ticking to go away! (well it went away once, but I messed it up )

I did the cam chain adjustment and re-did the valve gaps, but the ticking is still there. Is there some way to know if my gaps are too big or too small? Anything else that could be causing it? Or anyone in the Chicago area that wants to help me out

rsjudka said:
Is there some way to know if my gaps are too big or too small?

You are using the correct feeler gauges?
They should slip in w a smidge of resistance but not so much as to force them, or so little as to have any room to wiggle.

It would be several weekends before I am free. But yes i would drive up to Chicago. Even though I hate Chicago and everything about it. I would make that sacrifice for a fellow 360 owner. 8) And Im talking after Barber Vintage festival in B-ham Alabama. I MIGHT be free the last two weekends in October.

trek97 said:
You are using the correct feeler gauges?
They should slip in w a smidge of resistance but not so much as to force them, or so little as to have any room to wiggle.

I've been using .002 for intake and .003 for exhaust.

Would ticking be caused by a loose gap or a tight gap?

loose, things are slapping around. Too tight and you loose compression cause valve isnt closing.

trek97 said:
Are you sure youre not hearing the sound of the points working?
Did you watch the video I linked a few posts up? It sounds like it's metal dinging again metal, from the top of the engine on both sides

trek97 said:
It would be several weekends before I am free. But yes i would drive up to Chicago. Even though I hate Chicago and everything about it. I would make that sacrifice for a fellow 360 owner. 8) And Im talking after Barber Vintage festival in B-ham Alabama. I MIGHT be free the last two weekends in October.

That's an amazing thing to do, but I would feel so bad if you were to drive 4 hours round trip just to work on a little sound issue like this

Also, if they are too tight, the valves could be tagging the piston tops. But not sure how tight they would have to be for this to occur.

and I did miss the vid link ::) But seen it now.

I dont know whats up w PJ hes been offline for a week and he would know more about this than me.

Ill share your vid link w a few others too. See what they say about it.

trek97 said:
Also, if they are too tight, the valves could be tagging the piston tops. But not sure how tight they would have to be for this to occur.

VERY tight. There's probably about .080 clearance between the exhaust valves and pistons?

I'm inclined to think that the valve adjustment may have been made on the wrong rotation. They sound really loose.

irk miller said:
I'm inclined to think that the valve adjustment may have been made on the wrong rotation. They sound really loose.
How I did it was I stuck my finger in the left spark plug hole, then turned the engine over until I felt air blowing out. I then put it to the LT mark, did the adjustment on the left side, then put it to the T mark and did the adjustment on the right side.

Just to confirm: You adjusted to .003in/.08mm on the exhaust side and .002in/.05mm on the intake side?

irk miller said:
Just to confirm: You adjusted to .003in/.08mm on the exhaust side and .002in/.05mm on the intake side?
Yes, .002in intake (side with carbs) and .003in exhaust (side with exhaust pipes)

If everything is within spec, and you're confident all of your adjustments are on cue, then removing the cover and giving it a thorough inspection is in order. That noise is not supposed to be there. If it goes up with revs, then it may be related to interference with the cam chain. But by that video, it sounds to me like valves.

The one adjustment I wasn't sure about was the cam chain adjustment. Alot of things I read said you would hear or feel some sort of pop or pressure, but I felt nothing at all when I loosened the screw. It seems simple enough though. Put engine to 90° past LT on compression stroke and loosen and tighten the adjuster.

Back
Top Bottom