1986 Suzuki gs1150ef locomotive

ABCanuck

Coast to Coast
Hey guys (and the odd gal), I picked up a new daily and it will probably receive a slow refresh. Lots of little things to do as is typical of a bike that's been taken care of but ridden a fair bit (55k miles). Fairing have some small cracks here or there, a couple broken post mounts, etc. But it has new brakes, new headlight, new tires, fox rear shock and a few more things, all for 1000 bucks.

She is heavy, pulls like a train, and the big ole' headlight reminds me of a train engine, hence locomotive.

When I picked her up. -24 degrees Celcius.
791e4576b3a8fbc40c34c7cb3275132b.jpg

I also need a new seat latch, as I attempted to repair the mechanism but can't get it to hold. If anyone has one laying around, let me know. Maybe common to other Suzukis?

fa921d8803b193c484b066e52eb50232.jpg

Looks cool dude, bet its a blast to ride.
As far as the latch, it looks identical to the one used on the Katana 600/750, but I'd just check part numbers on cmsnl.com or a similar site.

So less than a day and I've got an electrical issue. Started it up to spook my 2 yr old daughter who was sitting on it, everything was great. 10 mins later, tried to start it to check a couple things, absolutely nothing. No lights, no starter etc. stating the obvious, kill switch is on run, no blown fuses unless there is one somewhere else other than the main box. Any thoughts?

On the seat latch part, looks like it's strictly an 1150 part. So I have a couple flyers out to guys.

Maybe the GSXR750F of 1985 might share the same part?

suzuki-gsx-r750-1985-f-seat-model-f_bigsue0068fig-40_f234.gif

http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gsx-r750-1985-f_model13570/partslist/FIG-40.html#results

It could be, I just know it came up with a different part number,. The mounting points look different on that as well.

Still dealing with intermittent issue with no power whatsoever. Ignition maybe? Bloody electrical.

Do you mean lights don't come on or anything, or it just doesn't turn over? I don't know your bike specifically, but sometimes there are safety switches that are in place, like a neutral safety switch, or a kickstand safety switch. Have you checked power to the starter solenoid? And can you bypass the starter solenoid to see if it turns over and starts?
su0317_032.gif

Number 28 looks to be some sort of switch. It's called a SWITCH ASSY STN. Maybe somebody who's more familiar with these bikes will chime in and give some more light on what it is. One time I had my moms new convertible, and I took it to the store. I got in and tried to start it, and it wouldn't even try to start. I checked everything. Then I looked down, and the gear selector was in between P and R on the gear selector. I put it in the P position, and it started right up. I was like 17 and amazed that it could be something so simple. It took me like an hour to find that little thing, too. Sometimes it's right in front of you, and you don't notice it. Keep at it, you'll figure it out.

Ya. There is absolutely nothing when it isn't working. I took the tank off and as soon as the wiring harness was bumped, everything turned back on. So I'm thinking I may have a pinched wire somewhere. Power seemed to flicker when I manipulated the ignition wires so I'm hoping that is the problem. When the PO installed the heated grips (which is quite the wiring mess itself). It looks like the routing of the wiring was slightly off and the ignition harness got pinched slightly.

I think I have a new one coming as a guy is sending me a new gas cap and seat latch.

Ya, nothing like the bike dying at highway speeds :) Or some sparks right under the tank if there is a fuel leak haha.

Well the load of parts showed up and the necessary stuff is swapped. I had a agm battery sitting around that fit and was due as the yuasa on it wasn't holding a charge. But I have what may be a stupid question.

My agm doesn't have what I believe to be an access for the battery check light sensor. This is the old one. The agm obviously just has the two posts. Suggestions?

70eec6c8ab58e7d1a30ec633ea3a3650.jpg

I put an AGM in my 83' GS1100E and disconnected the wire down there & just removed the bulb from the instr.panel

NICE bike ;D 8)

Did you get it from a buddy? What a DEAL :)

No it was a complete stranger. I talked to him in the summer about it but timing was off for me. He was looking for some cash for an engine for his RX-3. And it didn't hurt that he asked half of what he was in the summer. I'd rather not go that route but I might have to..

Took it out for a shakedown run today :) mud has finally dried up down our lane. Just a few miles to see if everything is working properly. Hopefully get an out of province inspection done next week and it'll be ready to hit the road this summer. Now to find an aftermarket exhaust ....

No I never have had one. Little more hp, little taller gearing. Engine is a bit sturdier as well, welded crank, etc.

I had an 82' & 83' 1100E & had an 1170 kit w/ a ported head,etc. and stuck a pr. of 1150 stock cams in it after I ran the stock 1100E cams for a test;those 1150 cams are Great ;D

Back
Top Bottom