your other non-vintage machines?

runmikeyrun

Been Around the Block
I am considering adding a newer Sporty (forty eight) to my collection because of the day trips my gf and I take (she has a shadow and softail slim) and road trips we're trying to plan. A cafe bike is just not cutting it, my low back and butt are holding some serious protests. I'd still like to have an old bike because I feel most comfortable on them, but the allure of a comfortable cruiser for those 12 hours days seems more and more tempting and after taking two road trips on an enduro that's not gonna happen again. It's possible to ride her Shadow for a trip, but it's just not really me

Just curious what everyone thinks about that.

I suggest you ride one first if you haven't already. I had a 2001 1200cc sportster and found it cramped and had a lot of vibration over 60 mph. They have rubber engine mounts now which should help a little. I am not saying it won't get the job done but you may need to put some money into a stock one to get it to do what you need. Definitely get the 1200cc if you get one.

awesome, thank you. I've never had an HD, never had the desire. Since I've been riding with people who have them the appeal of a sporty is definitely there. I need something modern that I can trust on a trip lol.

I plan on riding one from the dealership, they just called to say they have one that will be ready in a couple days. So working on that.

If you can find one, find an 883 with a 1200 kit. Better all the way around.

Harley dealers are supposed to help fit the bike to you (seat, bars, etc.) so use that as leverage if you buy new, they may be able to change a seat out or at least adjust things. I'd love to have another sportster as a tracker/cafe platform. If I was going to frequently ride more than an hour I would go bigger. I am 5'10", average build. I do like the look of the forty-eight though.

Kawasaki ZRX 1100 or 1200. Sorta vintage looks, amazing performance. Somewhere around $3-5K, depending on year and whether it's an 1100 or 1200.
I put 200 miles on mine last Saturday alone.

scott s said:
Kawasaki ZRX 1100 or 1200. Sorta vintage looks, amazing performance. Somewhere around $3-5K, depending on year and whether it's an 1100 or 1200.
I put 200 miles on mine last Saturday alone.

And better mpg if you can keep from twisting it. ;D

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone wanting a 48 for it's comfort. Not to mention it's range with the 2.2 gallon tank. Now don't get me wrong, I like HDs and I love my Sportster. A long distance cruiser it is not. It's loud, raw and unforgiving. Depending on your stature, it might be cramped, or if you're like me at 5'8", just right.

The fact that it pisses off my neighbors is a definite bonus, which is why I ride it to work every day. There's a certain perverse pleasure I get from firing it up early in the morning to let it warm up for a couple minutes.

But for day rides (all day) I'm taking my Bonneville.

Well, I finally "bit the bullet" last summer and got one of these too:

Another vote for the zrx. :)

They are a blast to ride. Pretty much just gas 'em up and go. :D

some very interesting and different suggestions here! I can dig it. Gf has a softail slim, which I LOVE the look of, but I'm not gonna get the same bike as her. I'm gonna keep investigating... thanks everyone so far!

I have a 1978 KZ1000 and a 1982 KZ1100 and a 1992 ZX11.
Now I bought a 2005 Suzuki.

Attachments

• IMG_1180.JPG
    IMG_1180.JPG
    870.6 KB · Views: 226
Lol.

I've taken the advice here and from a few other places I've posted and decided, mostly due to my stature, that a forty eight is not for me and definitely not for long days or road trips.

I've become somewhat interested in the Star Bolt though, having always liked them when walking through the showroom. While they have a cafe version, the standard will be miles more comfortable for those aforementioned trips. I'm going to head out sometime soon and sit on a few. At 950cc they should have adequate performance.

The star is a comfortable bike to ride. It is more comfortable if you replace the air cleaner with an aftermarket one. The Two Brothers exhaust is the best one I have seen yet, it is more spendy but worth it.

I nice compromise also is getting an older touring bike like a 80s goldwing or venture royal and taking the top trunk off the back. Here in SLC there is a guy who makes custom seats for them that give it a better look

Thats good to know that it's comfy, definitely what I am looking for.

I'm looking at something "newer" due to reliability- I don't want the hassles or worries of a breakdown somewhere far from home so hence the reason I'm looking at something modern. I have an early 80s "fun" bike lol.

http://docschops.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/YAMAHA/2014-Star-Bolt/33779295_qhN2J7/2925677559_2jvhr9b How about this?

Have you considered a Triumph Bonneville? Last year, I stopped in at the dealer "just to look." I already had the Sportster, so I really wasn't looking to buy. Yet 4o minutes later, I'm ridin' a 2014 Bonneville t100 home!
Now that friends, is a sweet bike! I can ride it all day, and I'm a long dang way from being young too.

I have three bikes, Sportster, Softail Deluxe and the Bonne. If I could only have one, I think the Bonne is it. It just does so many things well.

Nebr_Rex said:
And better mpg if you can keep from twisting it. ;D

Ain't that the truth.
Mine's jetted, K&N pods, air box delete (huge under seat storage area) and a Dale Walker Holeshot exhaust. Incredible power.

skao777 said:
http://docschops.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/YAMAHA/2014-Star-Bolt/33779295_qhN2J7/2925677559_2jvhr9b How about this?

That thing is sick! Not what I would do since I need a cruiser, but totally bad. ass. I have seen the throwback Yammie tank a few places online, and I would definitely like to put one on. I'm not sure if I'd need someone to custom shoot one or what.

I went and sat on one the other day. Again. I'm really noticing the difference in perceived space and riding position between the Bolt and Forty Eight. The Bolt definitely is more what I'm looking for. The mid controls feel familiar vs. forward controls, and the HD's forward controls made my legs feel MORE cramped somehow than the mids on the Bolt. Not sure how that is.

I'm still scratching the surface on accessories for these bike but there seems to be quite a few. Exhaust and intake are biggies, and I've seen some fuel programming devices that look like they're pretty simple to operate. The Fi2000 PowrPro Tuner W/continuously variable tuning looks interesting, as if I don't even have to fudge with it. I'm going to do a lot of looking around over the next few days I'm at work.

I've found a couple locally used at dealers and on craigslist and it looks like I can get into one for thousands less than a used Forty Eight. Even sweeter.

Thanks guys (again) for the suggestions.

My son bought a Star Bolt after he rode my old Honda GW. He loves it and hasn't had a seconds problem. For me it's slower than growing grass. What you young kids want now days is something Harlyish in looks or old school Café. I've owned two GWs, not on purpose, hated both of those two wheeled tanks.

Attachments

• 439.JPG
    439.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 240
The power is definitely one of my concerns. It has about half what my KZ has, which I'm not looking for as much a speed demon. I do, however want something that can get up and go when needed. I've ridden my gf's Shadow 750 which has about the same hp/torque. While it's somewhat heavier than the Bolt, I felt like it was, well, not very fast at all.

I'm going to have to find a dealer who will allow a test ride. That will probably only happen with cash in hand though.

Back
Top Bottom