CB750 No Plunger Hellride Freedom Machine

Re: 70s Era CB750 Plunger Hellride

4a4905633c8c8bb6d455347ee5a8b48a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Ha

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ever since the deal with Kelly to get the frame, lots of research has happened. If it were a legit Amen or original plunger, I would've kept it a plunger no matter what. The more I dug, the more I realized someone added a plunger kit in the 70s.

As the research goes, there is only one suspension worse then a hardtail and that's a plunger. Awful ride and awful handling. Plus they destroy your drivetrain because the suspension acts independently since there's no swing arm. Talking to some old school chopper guys, the only way to fix them is to add a torsion bar. I decided to make it a hardtail instead.

Time to change the name 8)

Re: CB750 No Plunger Hellride

I see your point now.
I thought it would be similar to the older BMW models. But, after looking closer, I now realize the BMWs do have a fully active swing arm. Along w utilizing the drive shaft tube. Just kinda hard to see exactly whats happening there as most are painted black and that suspension is hardly noticeable.

Learn something everyday...check.

11494-151017051541.png

clem said:
Sell those things to a plumber and use the money to buy more radness for this bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app
Ha! I can't keep my washing machine drain from clogging. Maybe I can throw those fuckers down there.

irk miller said:
I have that inclination but I kinda want to stick with the plunger, if only because there aren't many out there.
irk miller said:
As the research goes, there is only one suspension worse then a hardtail and that's a plunger.
If that's the case, I think I would've welded up the Plunger in a fixed position and ran that instead. That way it would ride like a hardtail, but look like a plunger.
Sadly (for me), the frame has lost it's "hook", and now looks like a cookie cutter hardtail.

Redbird said:
If that's the case, I think I would've welded up the Plunger in a fixed position and ran that instead. That way it would ride like a hardtail, but look like a plunger.
Sadly (for me), the frame has lost it's "hook", and now looks like a cookie cutter hardtail.
Sorry to disappoint. It was a hard decision that I went back and forth on for months. Thanks for making it easier. It's not a cookie cutter kit to turn it into a hard tail and it's not cookie cutter axle plates. That's all done by me in my own design. I figured I'd lose some fans of this build with the decision, but I gained a few inches in length to sit (which it needed) and I won't wobble and die at high speeds (which is common with plungers). Not sure how welding up the plunger to make it into a fake plunger is better than turning it into a hardtail. I'm not into faking things. I might not always do it right, but I do it honestly. Considering I've just been told that it's a waste of these USD forks on a hardtail, I'm definitely building a roster of vocal critics. I'm sure this build will attract way more vocal critics than I have now.

I recycled the plunger axle plates and boxed them out. Put in torsion bars to stiffen up the frame.

535b4d370b08e8e39ec61c29dd5b0a43.jpg

b59f0e5659377eae32bb0c061020feaf.jpg

f6d897b6481a37a8769b87c3c1078549.jpg

I wasn't trying to bash or suggest you should do anything differently. Nor am I disappointed. I'm of the opinion that "it's your bike, do whatever makes you happy".
I'm no Bob/Chop suspension (or anything else) expert, but it seemed to me the "unusualness" of the plunger rear was the draw. Now it no longer has that.
And all I was "pondering" with making a fake plunger was to keep the unusualness of it while improving the function. Fundamentally the same premise as using a vintage headlight and/or taillight shell, but installing LED fixtures/bulbs to improve visibility/safety.

But you do you dude. Don't let me interrupt. I'll keep my uneducated musings to myself, as not to be lumped in with the rabble rousers ;) :p

"The Hellride Formerly Known as Plunger"?

Lol

True it loses some uniqueness without the plunger rear end, but as you said Irk, it wasn't born that way, and the plunger that were cobbled from hardtails were even more unsafe than the handrails they started out as. Kind of like those guys who make a "hardtail" by bolting some steel rod in where the rear shocks used to be.

It may not have the same character, but it's still pretty sexy looking! My only gripe is that you seem to be able to turn out projects faster than I can read your posts about them!

And I for one like the forks. Wasteful or not, they give it character that a cookie cutter hardtail will otherwise lack.

Captain America's got what you need. LOL
11494-151017153116.jpeg

Maybe a little more this...
11494-151017153418.png

You definitely gotta do the king/queen w sissy bar.

trek97 said:
Captain America's got what you need. LOL
11494-151017153116.jpeg

Maybe a little more this...
11494-151017153418.png

You definitely gotta do the king/queen w sissy bar.

Ha! I doubt I'll do that seat. You saw that Schwinn girder front I got from Levi, right? That goes on the bike I got from you.

I like the new length and the bracing. Do you think you'll have to run a mid-chain tensioner ?

Back
Top Bottom