Tire Recomendation?

72texas350

Been Around the Block
I need some new tires for my bike and I'm not sure what to get. This is my first bike so I have never gotten tires for a bike before. The front wheel is from a '75 CB360 and the rear is from a '72 CB350. I'm looking for some street tires that are relatively cheap, in price not quality. I have looked at a few places online to get tires, but if anyone has a secret place they like to get good deals on tires I'm all ears.

Thanks, Sam

I've been hunting for tires lately too. Been eyeing up the Dunlop K70's, seem to be a reasonably priced tire with decent reviews. More of a "vintage" looking tread pattern though, not sure what you were looking for.

I do like those Dunlop K70's. I'm torn between deciding if I want vintage looking tires or more modern looking street tires. They are going on my cafe racer that is a mix between modern and classic looking so that doesn't help too much with the decision.

Tires are the first thing keeping your skin off the pavement - get the best you can afford. When it comes to picking tires, don't go with what looks cool when parked - they all look the same as soon as you start rolling.

Pirelli's. End of discussion... You can pick up a set for less than 150$ and they're exceptional, quality, grippy tires that'll last several thousand miles. I have 2k on mine and they still look almost brand new, even on our shitty things they call roads here in Florida.

Big Rich said:
Tires are the first thing keeping your skin off the pavement - get the best you can afford. When it comes to picking tires, don't go with what looks cool when parked - they all look the same as soon as you start rolling.

Thats what I meant by cheap in price not quality.
Anyone know the sizes that I need? I have been looking but can't seem to find a clear answer.

I just looked at Bridgestone's website and they don't have the sizes on the size chart for the wheels that I have.

I've had Pirelli Sport Demons, Michelin Macadams, AVON Road Riders, and so far I'm liking the AVONs.

Are the rims both 18"? What bike are you putting these wheels on? Run the stock tire size that your bike originally came with, and get the best tires you can afford. If you can only afford shit save more money before you buy.

That being said for a good price, Shinko seems to make a decent tire. But any decent tire is going to run between $70 and $150 each depending. So the range is really not that great - $150 - $300 for a pair of tires. Price does not equal quality either, so don't buy the most expensive tires thinking you're buying the best.

The most expensive tires are Firestone Champions, and they coincidentally are also among the worst things you can ride on.

Tim said:
Are the rims both 18"? What bike are you putting these wheels on? Run the stock tire size that your bike originally came with, and get the best tires you can afford. If you can only afford shit save more money before you buy.

Yes, they are both 18", and are going on my '72 CB350. I do have the size for the rear tire, but the front wheel is off of a '75 CB360 so I wasn't sure if it is the same size. I know it is an 18" rim but wasn't sure about the rest of the sizes for the tire on the front.

Just kidding I looked at Continental's website and the front tires are the same on the CB350 wheel and CB360 wheel

Do I have to go with the same tires sizes that originally came on the wheels I have? I know that I obviously can't differ from the 18 inch rim diameter, but I wasn't sure about the width and all that. I don't have a fenders and plenty of room in the rear. I'm just not really sure about tires since I have never gotten any for a bike.

The original sizes are:
3.00 - 18 (front)
3.50 - 18 (rear)

How far, if at all can I differentiate from the 3.00 and 3.50?

you may be able to move the size a bit as not every manufacturers 110/90/18 is exactly the same as anothers. If you can get a spec sheet you can get actual measurements of the model and see, it maybe that an Avon you can fit a 120/90/18 and a BS you can only fit the 110/90/18. also a 120/80/18 may be a middle compromise. I couldn't find the exact size for the front of my 450 that was on it so I checked the charts on the avon site and found that one of the roadriders was exactly the same dimensions as my Chen shin that I was replacing but was labeled a different size. I think the Chen shin was a 100/90/19 and the Avon ended up as a 110/80/19 but was the same dimensions physically. rememeber the first number is section width and the second is height based on a percentage of section with. SO 100/90 is approx 100mm wide and the height is approx 90% or 90 mm and the 110 would be approx 110 wide and 88 high, when talking mm the 2 tires are almost the same. Add molds and tread patterns and there are usually a few choices that will fit and work safely. Read the tire specs for load, rim width min/max and speed rating and you will know what you can use.

Sorry I'm a little slow. If I get these two tires with the 90/90H - 18 on the front and 110/90H - 18 on the rear will they fit or not? I think, based on what you guys said, they will, but I just want to check before I buy them and have them not fit.

Front: 90/90H - 18
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/6012/ITEM/Bridgestone-Battlax-BT-45-Sport-Touring-Front-Tire.aspx

Rear: 110/90H - 18
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/6013/ITEM/Bridgestone-Battlax-BT-45-Sport-Touring-Rear-Tire.aspx

I also went to BS's website and looked at the charts for these tires that is why I wanted to ask to be sure.
http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/bt45.html

Big Rich said:
90/90-18 up front and 110/90-18 rear

edit: google "dropbears tire chart" too.

I looked up that tire chart and measured my front rim, because it doesn't have a tire on it right now, and I am not sure if the 90/90 - 18 will fit my rim like you said. I may have measured wrong though because I came up with the rim as 1.59 inches. Is the rim width just suppose to be measured from inside to inside, where the tire sits?

What is stamped for sized on your front rim? That is the number you would go by. I think the stock is 1.85??? not 100% sure, I don't have one to look at. Size should be like 1.85 x18 JJ etc. if so the 90/90 18 is a safe fit. and better than a 100/80-18 although that one is ok per the chart as well. Rec rim is the best size rim to use and the 100/90 is closer for the skinnier rims than the 100/80

Maritime said:
What is stamped for sized on your front rim? That is the number you would go by. I think the stock is 1.85??? not 100% sure, I don't have one to look at. Size should be like 1.85 x18 JJ etc. if so the 90/90 18 is a safe fit. and better than a 100/80-18 although that one is ok per the chart as well. Rec rim is the best size rim to use and the 100/90 is closer for the skinnier rims than the 100/80

Just checked the rim and both the CB350 and CB360 front rims are labled as 160 18. So according to that chart means I will still have a pain in the ass time lookin for tires

I checked a couple of tire sites, like Avon and they all say the 90/90 18 will fit the 360 rim. It is only 4.6 mm wider than the 3.00 18 OE tire so I would say you are ok. I wouldn't go wider and I don't think you will find very many narrower options these days. You could relace a 1.85 to the front but I think you will be fine.

Maritime

Maritime said:
I checked a couple of tire sites, like Avon and they all say the 90/90 18 will fit the 360 rim. It is only 4.6 mm wider than the 3.00 18 OE tire so I would say you are ok. I wouldn't go wider and I don't think you will find very many narrower options these days. You could relace a 1.85 to the front but I think you will be fine.

Maritime
OK, Thanks! I guess I wasn't really thinking about how it is only in mm and inches so the size differences really aren't too far off.

Back
Top Bottom