Building my own frame

ChopperCharles

I can weld, I can build a jig. I want to build a bike with a pretty wild engine, and I'm thinking I can either start with a frame from another bike, (sourced off of eBay) or I can build a frame from scratch and use a headstock from a frame I already have a title for. If I start with a frame from another bike, I'll have to do extensive modification anyhow. I will likely have to buy a tube bender either way, and make a jig either way. Although for an existing frame, the jig is likely to be simpler. Thoughts?

Charles.

A pretty wild engine means powerful?

My question is how is your welding skill? And be honest because it's your life and the person you eventually sell it to's life on the line!
A pretty weld is not necessarily a good weld.

If you're confident in your welding then I say go for it.
If not, start with another frame that has the critical welds done already and modify to suit.
Or build from scratch just tacking it together, and then take it to a certified welder to be finish welded. Just make sure your joints are good hah!

Actually, not all that powerful. 50-60 hp at most. It's just very... nonstandard. Don't really want to leak it until I've at least got the basic drivetrain accomplished.

Charles.

You can get jig kits off ebay for about $300, you just have to supply the box section. If you can work out a design that has the strength and shape you want then start from scratch. There will be some lathe work required, ie head stock, swing arm mounts. Modifying a frame is easier.

If you are not a member already, join up over here:

http://www.thechopperunderground.com

Then peruse the builds / archives. There is a stack of info on frame building (what tubing to use, which welder, how to gusset, etc).

Yes it's chopper based, but the basic construction principles apply to other frames as well.

and if you are in Canada you will need a 17 digit VIN to register it for the road. if you a joe schmo......pray for insurance.

TheCoffeeGuy said:
and if you are in Canada you will need a 17 digit VIN to register it for the road. if you a joe schmo......pray for insurance.

It varies by province
In quebec, 35$ gets you a new vin on any frame that doesn't have one.

If it is to be road plated, you must then have it inspected by one of the saaq engineers.
If it passes it is considered to be the same category as if you purchased a parts frame from a dealer.

Back
Top Bottom