Tell Me What ya think? My 71 CB350 cafe project!

bp.designs

Ok, so hear is my project. I am in the middle, kinda, of rebuilding my 71 CB350. I have researched and research many sites to get parts from, ideas on anything from wiring to seat building and beyond. I couldn't help but notice how everyone on this site helps each other out so much and that's what I am here for. Here is where I started last summer...
183192_10150189741955884_680050883_8844382_4983072_n.jpg

So...This winter I pulled it into the garage and started to tear her apart to turn her into a more reliable little cafe racer. I want to start by replacing all of the 40 year old wiring and electrical components. I'm guessing thats a good place to start. I bought a really nicely done wiring diagram off ebay and it's helped alot.

As for everything else... here is the list of what I think I need to replace on it and some things I want to replace.
208923_10150245612260884_680050883_9248586_3843253_n.jpg

And here is where the bike is now...
208516_10150245605065884_680050883_9248510_2615009_n.jpg

I am planning on integrating a telescoping rear cowl over the seat like shown in the sketch above on the parts page, but the main idea is to allow me to ride single or extend the seat and ride 2 persons. And I know it's just a 350, but I rode 2 people last summer stock and it's fun!

Anyway here is a quick rendering and sketch:
208998_10150245605130884_680050883_9248511_396382_n.jpg

69723_10150146378390884_680050883_8136269_5336324_n.jpg

Tell me what you think please? Also if you have any advice with the wiring I am a newby so help would be awesome!!!

NO kidding! I have the same idea for mine with the telescoping cowl. I am planning on making rails for it to ride on, perhaps good thick pipe, and just have a beefy cotter pin to hold it in place. The cowl will cover the second part of the seat and just slide back over the top of it. I'll be keeping an eye out to see how you engineer mine, or maybe shoot me a PM if you want to brainstorm.

Those renderings are incredible. You are a great artist. What did you use for that last rendering? It looks really professional.

Interesting... The renderings are terrific.
Instead of having a sliding/telescoping cowl, why not just have a removeable one like modern sportbikes?

Does the rear of the frame stay stiff enough with that rear humped cross member removed? I'm trying to look up builds that have deleted that cross member to see if they need to be reinforced, but I'm not having much luck. I don't mean to threadjack, but this is topical for other people looking to do this. Thanks!

because a sliding one is infinitely cooler, lol. who does love a hidden compartment or a bike that morphs?

looks great

Ok, so I know all of you love video's right?! well this one might answer a few of the ?'s
My CB350 Cafe Racer Build- 1

I am actually an industrial designer. I graduated from the art institute of Colorado out in Denver. That is actually where i met my first cafe style bike. I used Adobe illustrator and Design Suite for most of my renderings, but I do alot of marker renderings too, kinda like chip foose style.

Hey guys, also, trying to get some new rear shocks for my bike to give it a better ride as well as a few inches lift for extra clearance from the rear fender i'm gonna weld in. Does anyone have any 13" rear shocks (eyelet on one side open on the other) for sale or trade or donation maybe... =) i could run on my CB 350 shown hear? I'm like everyone else and on a budget right now so if ya do I'd be much appreciative and pay shipping or something? Thanks also for the great feedback, I'll post another video soon of how the telescoping cowl is coming. Bought so cool parts today!!!

Great video, went on a little bit too long but whatever :p

I love the idea of the telescopic cowl, and really eager to see how you pull it off.
Really clever using the LEDs and a resistor kudos on that :) but IMO I don't think it would look that cool on a cafe but hey thats just me. I think going with something more old school like this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hKkYZ9GWzKA/RtlG_9qUjAI/AAAAAAAAAJ8/ifbI_qR0peQ/s400/new_brake-unit.jpg might look cooler. But hey thats just me :p I did a Yamaha XV250 bobber build not long ago and used one of those but it was LED based. Plus it gives you a convenient place to put your plate!

I love your 3d renderings! I am so useless at 3D drawings on computers, its horrible. I'll do assembly and detailed component drawings anyday just not 3d renderings...

Alright, I've been on this site for about two years now and have yet to post anything sooo, considering I did something similar to my bike Ill show you what I did and why I'm working on a better way for the tail to slide back.

Here is my bike, with the tail in the solo position

moz-screenshot-1.png
bikeside.jpg

And here it is with it slid back and my buddies girlfriend on board during some dinner party

41130_419002094229_509554229_4952930_5995555_n.jpg

Basically the cowl is held on by four bolts (you can see the holes towards the front of the cowl) that thread into the seat pan. There are another set of four bolts further back that it can mount into, thus revealing the passenger seat. I wanted the two up seat for one reason...girls, there is not a better feeling than going out at night, having a girl beg to ride on back, and kindly obliging. This also is the reason it needed to stay on the bike rather than taking it off and having to leave it somewhere. I liked the idea of having if mounted and telescoping on the sides of the seat, but I love the look of the frame and how the seat sits on top.
There are two major faults with my design: the seat is too high and too narrow, and it takes too long to move the tail back (alright about 2 minutes but why not have it slide and be done with it in like 10 seconds?) . I made it tall with the intention of throwing the oil tank and battery up under the rear but got too anxious to ride. This is a picture of my old tail which i made out of steel, but last weekend i made a seatpan and separate tail out of fiberglass. The plan is to make a quick release tail mounted to telescoping rods under the seat and tail (all hidden and no need for tools). I should have it finished later this week and I'll post some pics to see if they might be in anyway helpful. This was my first bike and I am also relatively new to street bikes, good luck it looks good.

@freerideordie

Is that a CB750, and is that one of Carpy's 4 into 1 exhausts? :p

what if you had the cowl moving backwards but using a pin locking system instead?
i.e the cowl would move backwards (thus revealing the passenger seat) along two pipes or bars with holes drilled into them, then have seperate pins that would go through the cowl and into the bars?
In some ways it combines both ideas of having a fully telescopic cowl and your idea of the bolts? It won't involve tools and it would be just as quick to change up. You could even extend the pipes a little to make the length of the seat fully adjustable depending on the size of passenger/rider!

just my 2 cents :)

Alternatively couldn't you just put a padded seat pan on top of the cowl as a passenger seat?
I know its not as cool but I guess it would be cheaper to fabricate such a thing?

Just throwing ideas out there :)

If my rambling is unhelpful please do ignore :)

yes, it is a cb750 and has carpy's 4 to 1 exhaust, and I really love the way it sounds.
I considered a very similar pin locking or spring loading pin locking design, but im going to machine out something like this mounted to the bottom of the seat pan.
750896.jpg

there will be two tubes coming from the cowl and they will just slide in (hopefully), that way with the twist of a lever or knob i can adjust it to and length i want.

Back
Top Bottom