Painting Tools?

jsharpphoto

Coast to Coast
I acquired a nice, but used Delta drill press today off CL. It's seen better days, in the cosmetics department, but is mechanically perfect. I'm remodeling my garage/shop area over the winter, and everything will be new and pristine. The drill press has flash rust on it, on almost all the external surfaces. I was able to start cleaning it up with a scotchbrite pad and some WD40. When I get the entire thing cleaned up, i'm considering hitting most of the parts with black appliance epoxy paint. (ie. everything that doesn't have mesh with something, like the geared movements)

I don't want to have to clean this thing every year just from it sitting in a humid texas garage. Any reason this would be a bad idea?

Ook hi :D Firstly hitting it with the WD40 before paint will be a problem :eek: The WD40 basic creates a barrier over the surface and the paint won't adhere to it :-\ you should clean it all down and remove grease and flaky paint then paint ;) then WD40 :)

Check out this site, It is aimed at Garage remodels and tool restoration with plenty of help and advise / support from the members, cheers Andy

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

i know about WD40 and it's paint related problems. It will be 4 or 5 months before I'm in a position to paint this thing, and I wanted to protect it from flash rusting in that time. I will likely sandblast it before i paint it.

Why did I bother cleaning it and spraying it with WD40 if i'm just going to sandblast it? Good question. This has been an evolving thought process.

Honestly, if you're going to blast it and paint it in the springtime, just let the flash rust sit. It may be ugly, but it isn't like the thing is going to turn into a pile of dust in that time period. If you're REALLY worried about it, hit it with a blast of krylon or rustoleoum from a can in the meantime. The sandblaster will peel that paint right off and it should keep it from progressing any further in the interim.

Seriously though, I'd just let it be until you fix it right. Why do it twice?

absolutely. I was halfway through cleaning the table and base before i decided i would blast it and paint it. But I kept going because i didn't want it to look like a rusty piece of shit, the first time my wife saw it. If it looks used but in good condition…. "hey, it was only $100". But if it looks like something recovered from the titanic, "you spent $100 on THAT?"

Back
Top Bottom