saving a 1980 KZ750 twin

The 2.5" radius just looked a tad small so I got this 4" radius (from Burn's Stainless, best quality so far) for the first bend and I think it looks much better; and in theory it should flow better. I got my two bends done for the second part of the header. It was 92 degrees in the shop and after letting loose with the big torch the temp climbed to 105. I was listening to my sweat drip off and sizzle on the pipe, don't want to do that again. Thankfully sand bending is over at this point. Need to fit them up and weld it all together. Eric also picked up a powder coater he was keen to try out so we re-powdered the top triple.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    792 KB · Views: 300
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    860.2 KB · Views: 288
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 293
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 302
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 296
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 296
can anyone point me to info on calculating primary and collector lengths?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0854292756/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

and

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0837603099/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

JadusMotorcycleParts said:
I like this guys info, tests and explanations. Aaand, nice calculator:

http://www.mezporting.com/exhaust_length.html
He gets all that from the books I linked.

I haven't been able to get any work on the project bikes because I have been rebuilding a 78 kz650 with a friend. thought it was gonna be a quick tuneup to get it on the road and it ended up needing damn near everything. We tore it down to the frame and rebuilt the top end of the motor and pretty much rebuilt or replaced everything else. Now that is done i'm hitting the road for a couple weeks on my Falco and when I get back I am going to have a "fabrication vacation" and stay at Eric's shop (50 miles away) for three days while we jam on the kz750 and the kz1000 project to get as much done as possible before I head back south to California for the year. I hope to finish the header for the 750 and bunch of small stuff for the 1000.

Attachments

• IMG_3147.jpg
    IMG_3147.jpg
    756.8 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_3145.jpg
    IMG_3145.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 280
Whelp, I finally pulled my finger out and finished the header. It came together pretty nice, but I did have to fudge the fitup a little bit where the second bend meets the straight. You can't see it when its on the bike and I doubt it will affect flow very much. Eric made this sweet tool for putting a uniform finish on headers and it worked great, started with 80 grit and then a polishing belt for a uniform brushed finish before welding it all together. My welds came out OK, still a bit too hot, I'm undecided if I want to polish the heat marks off or not. I also need to start thinking about what I want to do about the muffler, thinking about a kerker-esque stainless can for that vintage performance vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNCrIJaAzoI

Attachments

• IMG_3361.jpg
    IMG_3361.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 274
  • IMG_3357.jpg
    IMG_3357.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 272
  • IMG_3348.jpg
    IMG_3348.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 268
  • IMG_3347.jpg
    IMG_3347.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 272
  • IMG_3343.jpg
    IMG_3343.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 273
  • IMG_3344.jpg
    IMG_3344.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 268
Very nice finish mang!

How do I get one of those attachments tho... I have a small bench one and have used a crank polisher or bow sander but that is kewl mang!

Thanks Tune. Eric made the attachment. its two plates that bolt together to adjust the tension of the belt and he used a scooter wheel. I can probably get some better photos of it if you want.

Damn Doc, those pipes look amazing. Really nice work. I don't have those skills but you sure do.

canyoncarver said:
Damn Doc, those pipes look amazing. Really nice work. I don't have those skills but you sure do.

Agreed! Those look fantastic. Can't see anything wrong with them. You did fantastic work!

doc_rot said:
Thanks Tune. Eric made the attachment. its two plates that bolt together to adjust the tension of the belt and he used a scooter wheel. I can probably get some better photos of it if you want.

I would give it shot, looks simple enough for even me to attempt

Really nice job with the down pipes.
I've used these scotch brite mops on stainless exhausts, a few times, and got half decent results.

Attachments

• 66ldmmed.jpg
    66ldmmed.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 278
If you turn the emery belts inside out you may be able to adapt a belt sander motor and tires to some frame I would like to have variable speed... the brain is in full gadget mode mang.

Thanks guys.
I finally had some time today to get settled into the new place. For the first time in 5 years I have my OWN garage. It is small but I am so pleased to have my own space. I took the time to wheel the bikes out and get some progress shots with the good camera. I got a bunch of small stuff done on the bike in the last month; painted the rotors, painted the wheel spacers, got the airbox and battery tray installed, got the headlight painted in sealer, and traded for some black Daytona bars. Time to start thinking about paint....

Attachments

• DSC_9947.JPG
    8.5 MB · Views: 312
  • DSC_9946.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 302
  • DSC_9945.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 304
  • DSC_9943.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 289
  • DSC_9942.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 303
  • DSC_9971.JPG
    8.9 MB · Views: 297
Congrats on owning a garage! You won't know yourself. That'll be a long way off for me.

The bike is looking amazing. This is almost the look I am trying to achieve with my SR.

Just a thought, regarding paint....

Attachments

• d11e3b86f709cd8ff1100a40c0b39ad0.jpg
    d11e3b86f709cd8ff1100a40c0b39ad0.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 600
Back
Top Bottom