Looks like a cafe

datadavid

Over 1,000 Posts
Is it some kind of cafe? I dont know, could be.
2f8b437d46f77e644b490d1220412958.jpg

It's an old Rickman Metisse frame and bodywork with a misplaced T100/5T motor slung in to fill the gap and a BSA A50/A65 motor on the floor. Get a Unit T120 motor and slip it in there and you would have a genuine 60's or 70's cafe racer. Needs new wheels and the right forks, but could be made to look good.

Yes, definitely a Rickman Metisse.
PLEASE get rid of that Yamaha back wheel as well.

These bikes are soaring in value when put back to original, and we still see them used on the track in anger here in New Zealand.
+1 with putting a T120 or even a T140 motor in it.
It'll make a cool cafe racer as well as they were designed for going fast back in the day :)

The yamaha wheel is just there to roll it around, the engines are there to be installed, just to mess with the t120 people
Wouldnt want a dozen lump like that anyway, thats for everyone else.

canyoncarver said:
Cool project, I'm in, I dug your Yamaha chop build.
Yea i dug it too til it started eating regulators out of nowhere and refuses to stop no matter what i do to it!
Better stick to simple british electronics..

surffly said:
Why are you welding on it?
There are no engine mounts whatsoever, left downtube is cracked, welded and cracked again, and headstock is bent..
The downtube looks like it has been badly mig welded by some clueless asshole, then ground down very carelessly. These pipes are thin wall as it is already, so i need to replace a part of the downtube, and 531 tube is no longer available so i will see if i can get some 541, or just 4130 chrome-moly and possibly weld it. Otherwise i will just make some slugs and braze it back together.

It would originally have been SIFBronze welded. SIFBronze is still available in the UK but not so much in the US. Silicon bronze has a slightly lower strength but should be OK if you can't get Nickle bronze filler (welding) rods. They were Oxy welded not MIG or TIG originally.

541 or T45 or 4130 from germany should be Ok.

The frame does look shorter than the average Triumph cradle. I wonder if it was made for a T100.
Can you tell if it was made by the Rickmans or by Pat French? I wonder if it was a one off custom frame. Or could it be a locally made copy of a Rickman to take some strange Swedish single motor?

teazer said:
It would originally have been SIFBronze welded. SIFBronze is still available in the UK but not so much in the US. Silicon bronze has a slightly lower strength but should be OK if you can't get Nickle bronze filler (welding) rods. They were Oxy welded not MIG or TIG originally.

541 or T45 or 4130 from germany should be Ok.

The frame does look shorter than the average Triumph cradle. I wonder if it was made for a T100.
Can you tell if it was made by the Rickmans or by Pat French? I wonder if it was a one off custom frame. Or could it be a locally made copy of a Rickman to take some strange Swedish single motor?
P.O didnt have much info other than it being registered and used with a triumph engine. I guess since the a65 lump fitted well in there a t120 should not be a problem either.. but the papers say t100, so its probably made just for that.
I think i have some nickel bronze alloy filler left from my bronze tank from the previous project, but since im a welder i can get all that stuff for free basically.

Oh, and bronze welding is actually a brazing process, since it does not fuse with the base material as most here probably are aware, difference to brazing is that bronze welding relies on the weld bead for structural strength, whereas brazing uses capillary action mostly.
I have actually already tried pulse-tig welding bronze on my last project, so there i fiddled a bit with joining steel bits with pulse welding bronze filler rods. Also did a little wear coating on gearbox parts. Worked excellent!

Back
Top Bottom