The SkyTeam 'Ace' Resource

Re: the "Ace" - new bits!

Looking good my man. Try the faring say 50mm or even 75mm lower and see how it looks at the front and around the motor.

teazer said:
Looking good my man. Try the faring say 50mm or even 75mm lower and see how it looks at the front and around the motor.

Lowering it might hurt the lock-to-lock, but I agree, it would look killer kool!! 8)

In any case, that fairing looks great! :D

teazer, Drewski - it will definitely be going lower! There won't be any steering issues; it's sitting high in the photo because part of the lower fairing was hung up by the crankcase.

There has been a change of plan though. What is currently a one piece unit with an under-sump panel is going to become three pieces.

One piece will contain the headlight and flashers and cover the instrument/handlebar area. Each side of the motor will have a separate panel. This is so I don't have to hassle with the electrics etc., just to get access to the motor, and it will make any maintenance simpler.

The current fairing will end up being the foundation for the plugs for the 3-piece molds.

Crazy

Re: the "Ace" - fairing changes!

Wow! Sounds very cool!! 8)

You've got some work ahead of you!! :D

When did we let the fact that a job takes more time than it's worth stop us going ahead?

Also, I already have a customer for one top-section-only fairing. You only have to do two pulls from a female mold to make it (almost) worth while.

Crazy

Apologies brad - I must be more careful with my phrasing to avoid upsetting the more sensitive members of this forum!

Crazy

Re: the "Ace" - it's not yours until you cut it!

Cut the top section of the fairing: easy

Checking symmetry: six hours of measuring, re-measuring, marking and cutting!

Now I have a good foundation:

item.JPG

item.JPG

item.JPG

Now to fit the headlight (should be simple?).

Crazy

Brother that fairing looks awesome and just adds to the look of your already beautiful bike, I can not wait to see it once you have it all fitted the way you want it!

stroker crazy said:

Didn't Prince drive that bike in Purple Rain?!! HA! just kidding. Gonna look killer, but def needs to go a bit lower

Thanks Joe.

Two delays have arisen since my last post. The Dremel died on New Years eve so cutting the headlight aperture is on hold until I can get a replacement. Trial fitting #2 exposed the fact that the current handlebars won't fit; Tarozzi clip-ons ordered but will take about a month to arrive from Italy, the local agent has never been asked for clip-ons for 27mm(!) forks before.

reds - I know nothing of Prince and Purple Rain so I will have to bow to your expertise on this subject!

Crazy

Really a neat project.

How is the build quality on the Ace? I have been interested in those since I first saw them.

makotosun, the build quality is better than I expected on such a cheap motorcycle. Some of the welds are a little untidy and some of the plating on fittings will probably have to be re-done eventually, but nothing to really complain about. The Chinese tyres, with their old-fashioned tread pattern, have been fine in the dry.

The big surprise has been how good the handling is. While obviously it is not up to modern sportbike standard, it is a real pleasure to push as hard through the twisties as the power will allow. The motor is quite willing to rev out and now that it has a bit over 1000k on the clock it has freed up some.

For anyone without unrealistic expectations this is a real fun bike to ride with urban speed limits in mind!

Crazy

Thanks! It is nice to see some bikes coming to market that are in this class that one wouldn't be ashamed to be seen on!

I really like the look and have had some decent results from Chinese clone motors.

It may have to become one of the "on the list to get" toys this year!

Looks like a real hoot mate, would love to ride one in 'anger'!

I've got a CBR125R and am about to begin modifying it to look a bit less plasticky... not going to end up looking like a works racer but its definitely a hoot to ride around.

Cheers - boingk

EDIT: If you were riding around Newcastle near Kotara a few weeks ago... I think I might have seen you. Don't reckon there would be many Aces getting around, anyway!

cool, just thought i would post here so i can keep an eye on your bike as well :)

stroker crazy said:
Fairing positioned roughly.
Some things good, some things bad.
Good things are that the current handlebars etc. fit perfectly and nothing hits lock-to-lock. Screen allows me to tuck right down to try and pick up a little more speed.
Really the only bad thing is I will have to replace everything adjacent to the crankcase and exhaust pipe, but I expected that.

item.JPG

Crazy

Ohhhh man does that look cool.

How fast does that lil' bike go anyway?

Back
Top Bottom