MG Magnette anyone?

rude

Britains finest, 1958 model, powefull 1600cc donk (not), live rear end, no synchro in first, handles like a block of flats.................

Attachments

• DSC00024.jpg
    DSC00024.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC00020.jpg
    DSC00020.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 214
I had the later ZB model - with a rip snortin MGB engine with Shorrock supercharger - looked the biz, and I suppose in the day it was reasonably quick. It would stay with my Pal's 3.8 Mk2 Jag but ran out of gears at 115mph ! Yes , seriously cool and underated car.

Beachcomber
I know what you mean about running out of gears, I've put a 6 cylinder Wolsley diff in this, now first gear has more pull and at 60-70mph on the freeway it's comfortable revving at at 2500->3000 rpm.
I'm using the "b" motor 3 bearing bottom end with lightened flywheel/ bored to 1680cc/ nissan pistons and an MGB head, still to go in is a toyota 5 speed and clutch adapter kit.
Still won't catch a modern micro Jap car, but sure is cooler (in my opinion)
BTW this is a 58' ZB model, the ZA's had the "hockey stick" chrome flash down the sides and a metal dashboard from what I can tell. I have the papers for this girl, bought in England by an Aussie CEO, driven around Europe for a few months, he even went to Monte Carlo and watched the Monte Carlo rally (I have his admission tickets somewhere) then back to England and shipped to Oz.
Since then it went through numerous owners and colours, I picked it up in 94' and did a full resto.

cheers

Rude - that's one ace car - come over all rose tinted.

I could have sworn the ZB had a much larger wrap round rear window ???? However, since most of my grey cells are now zapped beyond reasonable use - I bow to your info.

Ahhhha - I'm not going bonkers ::), just checked my archive library - my model was the 1956 / 1957 Varitone [ Two tone paint scheme ], which did indeed have the "panoramic" rear window, but with a chrome strip dividing the two tone paintwork, rather than the simple blade on the front.

My car was resprayed in the then cool Jaguar Guards Red with all the chrome redone and I fitted CHROME MGB wire wheels.

Like you say - not a rocket ship but with more class than any rice rocket!

Back
Top Bottom