Fairing/headlamp gap

AgentX

Over 1,000 Posts
I've been exploring flyscreen and fairing options for my currently unfaired bike.

Seems like some fairings are designed, or at least run by the owner, with a gap between the headlamp and the surrounding fairing surface.

I'm just imagining this whistling in the airflow, causing drag or rattling, or other problems. Am I on crack? Is it normal, non-problematic, or even preferable to have this space?

Thx for sharing your experience-

I have my windshield up about an inch and a half. It allows a little air through, relieving the vacuum behind the windshield, which reduces buffeting.

When it is closer to the light, it shakes me to death.

It still provides a good amount of protection, even raised a little.

Thanks--I'm mostly looking at fairings which have a full headlamp surround, even the fiberglass flyscreens (like the Hotwing Glass model)...any idea what a gap would do there? Seems inconsistent with the design to have a gap but hate to have to think of buying a new, larger headlight bucket along with the fairing.

The half fairing I'm looking at now should fit flush with what I have though.

I think the gap is just because most of the aftermarket fairings are designed to be "universal", so they err on the side of lowest common denominator and make the opening plenty big to accommodate any headlight design within the 7", 8", etc. diameter variables - just make sure you get the one made for your size headlight.
I've never had one whistle at speed, and rattling shouldn't be a problem if you've got everything bolted up so that the headlight fits directly centered within the surround of the fairing.

Back
Top Bottom