Cx500

Xs7501978

So ive been looking at cx500 and I love them the possabilities with these bikes are endless, I found one not running for $500. His description is "I have a 1980 cx500 motorcycle needs carburetor work and a little too motor turns over been inside not outside have paperwork to get title tires look decent." My question is...is this a good buy? I don't mind the non running bike as long as its not an insane amount to get it running again.
cccbd989ecf78d5f30d4fc10644785c2.jpg

5e31deaa2f9e2e4cc964f22690a513a5.jpg
94102a7bdeb6e31b152d476fe01ff4a8.jpg

make sure it turns over

do the stator test see if the source coils are good or if you will have to get a ignitec or replace the stator

Hmm okay is that all that I should check, he said the engine turns over so I'm going to check it to be safe, I'll probably bring some starting fluid to see if I can get a little roar out of it without doing any work but who knows. and I'll for sure do that check, thanks, I'd never heard of it before(obvi a noob here lol)...anything else? I mean im buying it as a project bike but I don't wanna be screwed into a bad deal.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I have an xs750 now will there be a big power loss with the 250cc loss?

20 hp loss ten mile an hour top speed if they are both running right

the stock cx gets better gas mileage

Xs7501978 said:
I have an xs750 now will there be a big power loss with the 250cc loss?

Well, the rated horsepower for the XS750 is 64, and the rated hp for the CX500 is 50. In reality, they're both likely far less at the rear wheel. 14hp difference in specs, probably 2-3hp more loss at the rear wheel on the Honda due to the shaft drive. That said, the CX500 has plenty of power for cruising and passing, and an easily attainable 105mph top speed. (It's geared loooow!) What you lose in horsepower you'll gain in reliability. CX500s are 200,000 mile motors. XS750s were 20k mile motors. They had problems with primary chains stretching, cranks going south, leaking base gaskets, exploding gearboxes (especially 2nd gear), and all the standard Yamaha electrical problems from that era. (Low quality wiring that corrodes heavily inside the insulation)

For the CX500, once you have the bike sorted out maintenance is minimal and issues are few and far between. If you do need to do major work on the bike (cam chain, starter clutch, or stator), the whole engine (with radiator, headers, and collector attached) drops strait down onto the ground after removing six bolts. (Seven for CDI models) The back cover can then be removed (with radiator and exhaust still attached) and those parts replaced without even moving the motor off the jack. To replace a head gasket, all you have to do is remove the gas tank and one coolant pipe, and the head comes right off. SUPER easy. Valves can be adjusted in 15 min without removing a single part other than the valve and inspection covers.

If you want more power, the CX650 (actually 673cc) motor will bolt into the 500 frame with some modifications. That motor is rated 65hp from the factory.

Charles.

In case anyone's curious. Didn't get it, I got distracted with other bikes.

Back
Top Bottom