cb750f 1981 (lots of pics)

johand

:)Hi guys! my name is Johan Draijer from the Netherlands , as i come across this board often to get inspired for my cafe style build i tought why not post my own little project!

november last year i bought this honda cb750f , it was first registered in february 18 1981 , wich is also my birthday , so that was pretty cool i tought.

here it is , somebody painted it green with a brush :eek:

taking it apart

pulled the engine out , man what a heavy thing!

frameloop ordered

check loop with older style comstarwheels with drum rearbrake for cleaner look.

made some bushes on the lathe for modify the subframe

subframe tacked

idee for the seat

cx500 tank fitted with fork lowered

welded a headlightmount on the lower tripletree

machined a little spacer for a flushmount gascap

plate for gascap

this took verry long , i had to do little welds and cool the tank , anyone a tip to do this faster or better without misforming the tank?

after a lot of sanding and filling it looked like this

filler

in the middle of a 2k epoxy prime/filler

after sanding ready for base color

water check :)

i wanted to have the wheels and frame coated black , a lot of work i had in to it , i sanded and filed out most of the damages from the wheels after i took the tires of.

the frame had some rust in it wich i removed , welded up the subframe completely and removed all unnecessary brackets and stuff

removed lock

cleaned

supports for seat and battery/electrics tray.

rust

more rust

repair

i welded up everything and grinded it all smooth and took it to the powdercoater , nice

while i was waiting for the frame and wheels i made a enginestand to move the engine around when cleaning and painting.

i replace al gaskets , bolt , sparkplugs , checked valve clearance , checked everything inside , viewed at the bores , all looked good so most cleaning and paint.

some covers have deep scratches , so had to work with that.

the oilfilterbolt didn't came loose and so did some damaged exhaust studs.

pics

cleaning

sanding

taped up

painting

i used a 2k in a spotrepairgun ,

new bits

reparing damage to valvecover

painted with vht wrinkle

cleaned oilpan and strainer

valvecover with polished bits , all by sanding from 100 to 240 400 600 1000 1500 2000 and then handpolisched

gs mikuni carbs

I had the oilpan fitted with a new gasket and sealer and decided to put it back in the frame , this was really easy.
had some foamplates under it and droped the frame over the engine.

bam!

new shocks , sprockets , did gold chain and i polished the sprockethub and drumbrakeplate and fitted new tires to the wheels

i welded up a frame for the seat , and took it to somebody for upholstery

i wanted it to hug the tank

after that i made a frame for a seatcowl

bondo time! and lots of it

sanded with machine

epoxy with black pigment

couple of layers

after a lot of sanding and filler 2k epoxy coat

Finally comming to the end of the build , paint needs sanding and polish , need to finish rear brake the seat and speedo sensor mount , then i can ride it for the first time!

some very nice work and techniques here, good job. First I've seen a cx500 tank on a DOHC honda, fits well it seems!

Thank for the reactions.

looking for a chrome , ss or alu fender that fits cb750 , or i buy a universal one and make some brackets for it..

mounted the tankemblems and did some handpolish , but have to sand it down a bit and machine polish the paint.
fitted the mirrors and blinkers , rear brake done and speedosensor mounted.

and for those who like the cats ;)

Back
Top Bottom