81 CB650 Brat/Cafe Build

I run a Ballistic 8 cell on my 750 DOHC. Plenty of juice for that bike. I did, however, replace the entire charging system.

Maritime said:
In this case don't they just stop working? I thought it was only with over charging or charging at too high of a rate that cause the explosions and fire hazard, I may be wrong though.
Yes i think so. I was just saying its an issue but yes like you said it will stop working, i should have been more clear. Never heard of one blowing up due to undercharging either.

SO basically from all this banter, make sure your bike charges or the expensive Li battery will either shit the bed and stop charging or blow up and set your bike on fire. Other than that, they are nice light powerful batteries. they are just temperamental like some women.

Maritime said:
SO basically from all this banter, make sure your bike charges or the expensive Li battery will either shit the bed and stop charging or blow up and set your bike on fire. Other than that, they are nice light powerful batteries. they are just temperamental like some women.
Fixed that.

Maritime said:
LOL I read that you got rid of your temperamental woman but it was a lot more expensive than changing out a charging system ;D
Indeed it was. Her and I started our downward spiral the day I showed up to our house with a motorcycle. Left to go golfing, came home on a bike.

OK... so LI-ION (and their close cousin LiFePO4) batteries can be a finicky bunch.

If the voltage from the cells drops too low, the copper from the anode starts to dissolve. This occurs at around 8.5V and is usually irreparable. Your battery is dead. For good.

If the charging voltage gets too high, the metallic lithium starts plating onto the anode and greatly reduces the efficiency of the battery. If this happens enough time, the battery is no longer capable of delivering the needed amps. You'll start to notice a lot less oomph from the electric starter. The higher the voltage, the faster the damage occurs. 14.5V is the safe maximum for most 12V batteries.

Even if the voltage is kept in the correct window, the battery can still be damaged from vibration ("hoverboards" have made the news for this, recently, as have laptops in the past). If the cells short out, this increases heat within the battery. Unfortunately, LI-ION are prone to what's called "thermal runaway". If the heat increases too much, it creates an exothermic (heat generating) reaction within the electrolyte which causes the heat to increase even further. At about 300°C, the cathode starts to expel oxygen and the whole thing goes up in flames. Most commercial batteries have fail safes to stop this for happening, but if the failsafe is triggered, the battery is dead.

In short, make sure you buy a battery with a trusted reputation and one with internal electronics is an even better bet. They're spendy, but earthX are the only batteries we sell for a damn good reason.

Sonreir said:
OK... so LI-ION (and their close cousin LiFePO4) batteries can be a finicky bunch.

If the voltage from the cells drops too low, the copper from the anode starts to dissolve. This occurs at around 8.5V and is usually irreparable. Your battery is dead. For good.

If the charging voltage gets too high, the metallic lithium starts plating onto the anode and greatly reduces the efficiency of the battery. If this happens enough time, the battery is no longer capable of delivering the needed amps. You'll start to notice a lot less oomph from the electric starter. The higher the voltage, the faster the damage occurs. 14.5V is the safe maximum for most 12V batteries.

Even if the voltage is kept in the correct window, the battery can still be damaged from vibration ("hoverboards" have made the news for this, recently, as have laptops in the past). If the cells short out, this increases heat within the battery. Unfortunately, LI-ION are prone to what's called "thermal runaway". If the heat increases too much, it creates an exothermic (heat generating) reaction within the electrolyte which causes the heat to increase even further. At about 300°C, the cathode starts to expel oxygen and the whole thing goes up in flames. Most commercial batteries have fail safes to stop this for happening, but if the failsafe is triggered, the battery is dead.

In short, make sure you buy a battery with a trusted reputation and one with internal electronics is an even better bet. They're spendy, but earthX are the only batteries we sell for a damn good reason.

This is very interesting. Thanks for the information. I definitely want to go with a quality battery and electrical components.

Kamn said:
Mosfet R/R should keep the Li batteries in check

So when replacing the battery with a Lithium battery I should replace the RR at the same time?

Also, how are the Dime City Cycle shocks?

dmable44 said:
So when replacing the battery with a Lithium battery I should replace the RR at the same time?

Not always but in your case, yes. Because your R/R is old.

I've never replaced one, and never had issue. Just sayin. It's possible.

Buuuuuut I guess it can't hurt to replace it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the last thing I want to do is buy an expensive battery and blow it up. I'll add that to the list.

I have a carb question, I've been told and have read that the 81' 650 carbs have pressed in main and can't be rejected, easily at least. I also read that a common swap for them would be VB44B/C's but I can't find a set. Does anyone know of other carbs that would work? Mine have a broken fitting between two of the carbs too so I figured I might as well get new ones I can rejett for an exhaust and pods.

DohcBikes said:
I messed the post up so here it is again.

Actually I have to disagree on RFY the shocks being no good. They have all the right components to be tuneable and have good NOK seals. If you get them, send them to this guy. http://chrislivengood.net/wp/rfy-shocks-rebuild-service/

I have not used his services because I can do what he does, but I do not specialize in RFY shocks and have all the extra springs and particular knowledge about these shocks. I can tell you that others here have used him and been pleased, and that he explains the need and procedure well enough for me to trust that he knows how to do it.

$75+$75= $150 for a pair of correctly tuned progressively sprung remote res shocks. Cant beat it with a stick.

Back to shocks... For $150 I doubt you can beat this.

treitz said:
Back to shocks... For $150 I doubt you can beat this.

I haven't been able to find anything under like $250 for mid range shocks. I'll email him and get more details.

Sav0r said:
Chris here, feel free to ask any questions about shocks.

Looks like a fun build thus far, keep up the good work.
See this guy here? It's chris livengood. You had him here and you asked him a completely weird question about where to get shocks. Get them wherever you want. Preferably from him. But for the most part, use your informational resources when they are available to you.

I suppose emailing him wouldnt hurt.

i mean, look at these. He owns cl moto tech.http://chrislivengood.net/wp/new-product-full-built-shock-package/

DohcBikes said:
here, choose your options and order

http://chrislivengood.net/wp/product/fully-built-shock-package/
DohcBikes said:
i mean, look at these. He owns cl moto tech.http://chrislivengood.net/wp/new-product-full-built-shock-package/
DohcBikes said:
See this guy here? It's chris livengood. You had him here and you asked him a completely weird question about where to get shocks. Get them wherever you want. Preferably from him. But for the most part, use your informational resources when they are available to you.

I suppose emailing him wouldnt hurt.

I apologize, had a bad day and simply didn't put two and two together. I did email him from his website though. Thanks a lot for the help thus far, I really appreciate it. I know I may ask a lot of already asked questions or stupid questions so I truly appreciate the help!

Picked up some material, thread, a needle and got to sewing today. I'll post pics when I get the seat cover finished and sitting on the frame hopefully within the next couple of days. May also be picking up some carbs and exhaust finally.

Did you end up getting the new battery? Isn't it a first step to locate the battery, and then attack the seat project?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom