Newbie buying a '82 Honda CB650 - In need of advice!

Hi everyone!

I am a total noob as it comes to motorcycles and am currently in the process of buying a '82 Honda CB650 and would greatly appreciate any help/advice you have.

I live in Europe in one of the more expensive countries. I'd be buying this bike from a neighboring country (almost no tax as it's such an old bike). The cheapest bike like this (same-ish make, year etc.) that is currently listed in my country that is "barely running and needs everything fixed" is 1.5X more expensive than the one I'm thinking of buying. I'm also really leaning on buying this because of the fact that it's almost already built the way I would like my bike to be.

The previous owner stated that the engine is in good condition as he rebuilt the bike "completely" four years ago: engine was re-mounted, sealed and naturally purified, the carbs we're ultrasonically cleaned etc. The chain and sprockets are rusty and the tires might need a change. The only problem is that the bike hasn't been driven for two years, after it fell over during a storm with other bikes and sustained damage to the gas tank. He also says he's changing some new jets on the carburetor and I see he has changed the airbox for pods (eek! I know).

I guess my questions is as follows:

What parts should I generally check on the bike and how specifically, as it hasn't been driven in two years.

Here are some before and after tip over -pictures of the bike and some concerns listed in the comment's. http://imgur.com/a/ZEGRh If you see any red-flags or positive signs for that matter I'd be more than happy to hear them out!

Also any other advice that you might have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

That thing is a pile of crap.

If this is your first bike then the first rule is to buy something running and reliable. You need to learn how to ride first of all, not spend all your time fixing something. Hasn't run for 2 years? Fell over in a storm? Could be a heap of problems here - probably even a seized motor. And it's from another country so the seller isn't going to care once the thing has left his garage.

Seriously, get a 300 Ninja or something similar and just ride.

Find a dependable old 70s CB series bike. Buy one STOCK. learn to ride it, and then make the changes that are comfortable for you. This bike was built for the taste of the current owner. Not yours. I'd recommend a CB500T or CB500-4. The weight isn't bad, and it has enough power for you to get used to the handling, without it being TOO powerful. Then, once you are a confident rider, make mods that are comfortable with your experience level. You can bump up to a bigger bike later. My first bike was a 1965 CL77 305 Scrambler. My current project is a GL1000. Advance as you feel comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

CB's are now 40 years + old - and whilst 20 years ago you could get them for almost nothing and they would just about run underwater, time is creeping up on them and they are not so "dependable" any more.

If you are a new rider and want a reliable bike to ride you should be looking at a bike that is under 10 years old IMO.

Back
Top Bottom