Suzuki GS 550 E first timer cafe racer build UK

stevogs550

I had been scouring eBay, Gumtree and my local paper for a bike to start my first cafe racer project for months and months but only finding bikes that were either out my price range or completely overpriced rust buckets. I finally found a 1980 GS500E non-runner on eBay that was only a few miles away from me. I'd messaged the seller to ask a few questions and if I could view the bike, but the seller was being very vague and ignored my requests to view the bike! Out of despiration (and after a few beers) I thought F!*? it, bid on it and won it for £400. I went to pick the bike up and I was a little disappointed to be honest...

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZ,!hIE9s-)mUhvBP-!CWpztw~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqZ,!hIE9s-)mUhvBP-!CWpztw~~60_12.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,836
This was the picture from eBay. But in person it looked worse! The brakes were seized, front brake reservoir leeking, throttle barely moved, fork seals gone, no V5 document, ripped rear tyre, no battery, rusty, no choke lever, seat just ballencing on, wiring dodgy all round. Apparently he had had the bike for a year and never had it running. He reconned the previous owner had it sitting in a barn for over 10 years.

Attachments

• gs550e ebay2.jpg
    gs550e ebay2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,577
I brought over to my Dad's house in a trailer to get the grimacing laugh of my Dad :eek: . He asked... "V5?" - no, "stolen?" - sh** I hadn't thought of that I dunno, "engine seized?" - dunno. So now I was just hoping I hadn't been done over! But after a general wipe down and quick inspection she looked a lot better :)

I checked the engine turn over by turning the rear wheel in gear - joy! First bit of good news. Luckily I had been given a numberplate in a box of spare parts with the bike. The engine/frame numbers were all there. So I sent off for a V5 hoping this plate wasn't made up! I was reluctant to spend any money on the bike until I knew it wasn't stolen or something.

Attachments

• WP_000097.jpg
    WP_000097.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 425
A quick strip down and it was getting better! Only very minor surface rust in the odd place. It looked like the bike had been covered with WD40 or something when it was apparently stored away for 10+ years. So the metalwork is all good! I hooked up a spare battery and turned her over. She had good even compression :)

I was beginning to believe the previous owner's story and the mere 26K on the clock and I started to get excited about this bike!!

Attachments

• WP_000096.jpg
    WP_000096.jpg
    797.2 KB · Views: 419
Hell of a nice bike to start with.

If you haven't yet, you may want to get set up with an account on the GS Resources. It's not the most user-friendly site, and some of the guys there get a little uptight about radically modifying these machines, but they're a nice bunch and they (among them) know everything about GS's.

I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

As I haven't got the word back from the DVLA about re-registering the bike, I didn't want to spend any money on her yet. But my 1st priority was to get the engine running.

First point of call was draining the tank and carbs to see what I've got... Yep the previous owner hadn't even touched the carbs or put fresh fuel in! So he didn't stand a chance of getting her running with 12 year old fuel in there!

I stripped the carbs and found that they were completely covered in varnish - old petrol. I had no carb dip stuff so I just spend hours with a can of carb cleaner carefully removing all the varnish and trying to unblock the jets and other holes...

How awkward is it to remove these carbs?!! There's no room to get them out! The air box and frame is in the way. I'm planning to fit pod filters but I just want to get her running for now...

Attachments

• WP_000088.jpg
    WP_000088.jpg
    991.7 KB · Views: 398
  • WP_000101.jpg
    WP_000101.jpg
    854.9 KB · Views: 362
After the 4th attempt of cleaning the carbs and a tinkle on the points - she coughed and showed signs of starting! 5th carb overhaul and clean and a fiddle with the pilot jets... She started a beauty! Purring like a kitten now :)

Nothing more satisfying than getting a non-runner going again after 12 years :)

Attachments

• WP_000104.jpg
    WP_000104.jpg
    860 KB · Views: 392
Got the bike registed and all's good there so I can spend a bit of money on her!

I decided to get her through an MOT as the next priority. So it's fork seals and brakes...

I found that the previous owner had tried to fix the rear brake by buying a new caliper and filling with new brake fluid but just didn't bleed the brake. So all that was needed on the rear was a quick bleed and it's working great. The front needed a new reservoir and overhaul. The calipers were great though. I found a second-hand reservoir with braided lines so I fitted these.

They're still quite spongey so we'll see what the MOT guy says. I think I'm just used to my ZX6R brakes which I guess are in another league so I shouldn't compare!

Attachments

• WP_000122.jpg
    WP_000122.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,441
  • WP_000123.jpg
    WP_000123.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,492
  • WP_000105.jpg
    WP_000105.jpg
    730.2 KB · Views: 395
Hope everything with your TITLE/V5/REGISTRATION comes back in order. Not a bad looking bike to start out with. Much of what is missing or damaged is to be replaced on an older bike anyway. Looks like your making good progress.

Gary

Next I needed to fit the existing seat properly, sort the wiring, new headlight, clean the chain and sprockets, and new tyres and she'll be ready for MOT. The indicators don't work which is an MOT failure, but apparently if there aren't any on there then it's fine! So I'll take them off for now...

Attachments

• WP_000132.jpg
    WP_000132.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,448
  • WP_000140.jpg
    WP_000140.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,460
I decided to start getting the essence of a cafe racer and modified the big plastic clocks...

I stripped it all down and just modified the bracket to fit the speedo in the middle I like the classic look of 1 big clock in the middle rather than the two small speedo and rev counter layout. It needs work though coz it sticks out a bit over the ignition switch.

I went for some clubman bars too :)

Attachments

• WP_000129.jpg
    WP_000129.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,344
  • WP_000135.jpg
    WP_000135.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,282
  • WP_000149.jpg
    WP_000149.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,346
  • WP_000134.jpg
    WP_000134.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 367
gk45011 said:
Hope everything with your TITLE/V5/REGISTRATION comes back in order. Not a bad looking bike to start out with. Much of what is missing or damaged is to be replaced on an older bike anyway. Looks like your making good progress.

Gary

Cheers Gary. I've got quite far down the line of my project now. I kept meaning to post the build on here and I've only just got round to it so I'm posting the first few months in one go!!! Yeah your right about the missing/damaged parts - like the seat and headlight :)

Got to MOT garage and I noticed my fork seals were leaking from the short journey there! ???

But managed to blag it and passed MOT! :)

She is running sweet. Got to 90mph down the A road :) Not quite the ton yet though!

Yes my 90's leathers look a bit odd on this bike HAHA. I will have to sort that out since the bike will be heading towards teh 60's/70's cafe style!

I'm not so happy with my speedo clock sticking out and I think the Bates style headlight is a bit small for this bike. I'm looking forward to getting a mono seat now though!

Attachments

• WP_000097 cafed copy.jpg
    WP_000097 cafed copy.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 375
  • 20120916_122652.jpg
    20120916_122652.jpg
    799.1 KB · Views: 394
stevogs550 said:
Cheers Gary. I've got quite far down the line of my project now. I kept meaning to post the build on here and I've only just got round to it so I'm posting the first few months in one go!!! Yeah your right about the missing/damaged parts - like the seat and headlight :)

LOL damn I go and actually work for a min and you come back titled and running.

Looks good from what I have seen so far!

Gary

I had been toying with the idea of making my own seat hump as I am on a budget. But it seamed as expensive to buy the flower foam, glass fibre and paint etc as to buy a pre-made shell. I made a mock-up of one I found from the measurements and pictures of it...

Attachments

• WP_000194.jpg
    WP_000194.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 785
  • WP_000200.jpg
    WP_000200.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 864
I'm happy with the seat mock-up so I ordered that!

I fitted Pipercross pod airfilters. I wanted to have paper cones but I can't find any that will fit without squashing againt the frame. I've noticed there's a lot less room with these Mikuni carbs than with the earlier models.

The first set of filters I got just fell to bits the first time I fitted them! I thought I had tightened the jubilee clips too tight but I complained to the shop anyway and sent Pipercross and email. Pipercross got back to me the same day saying it was a known fault and they will send a set of new ones out :)

I originally went up 2 main jet sizes but was still running lean on these filters, so I went up a couple more. Now She's running really fast and responsive! Makes a lovely deep growl too!! I ended up going up 1 size on the pilot jets too coz I was running lean on part throttle even with the fuel screws right out.

Attachments

• WP_000327.jpg
    WP_000327.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 837
  • WP_000324.jpg
    WP_000324.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 777
  • WP_000236.jpg
    WP_000236.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 789
Seat fitted! Kind of temporarily - I used the original hinges and lock mechanism and bolted it down to a sheet of marine plywood. I'm not proud to say my seat pan is made of wood but it will do for now. It is very sturdy and I only ride the bike in the dry really. An aluminium pan will be made asap :)

Next up is the rear light...

Attachments

• WP_000215.jpg
    WP_000215.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 945
  • WP_000214.jpg
    WP_000214.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 923
  • WP_000210.jpg
    WP_000210.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 927
  • WP_000205.jpg
    WP_000205.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 891
I like the length of the seat. It means I could cut down the frame and mudguard just after the gusset and also keep the bar at the back to bolt the rear light onto. This also keeps the stiffness without having to do any welding (as I can't weld!) LOL.

I mocked up a round rear light using my old indicator and a sheet of paper for the numberplate.

I don't like the round rear light so went for an oval one...

I want to fit some small indicators onto the end of the frame...

Attachments

• WP_000225.jpg
    WP_000225.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 953
  • WP_000230.jpg
    WP_000230.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 913
  • WP_000378.jpg
    WP_000378.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 939
I had had a flat tyre going quick round a sweeping bend and nearly came off! Had to park up and get a lift to the local garage to fix it.
Then I had a scare when I was riding home down a country lane in the drizzle and suddenly all my electrics went and I was left traveling at 70mph in pitch blackness! Managed to stop in the middle of the road without riding into the verges! And had to push the bike the last 1/2 mile home. So I decided to overhual the wiring before I rode her again!

Attachments

• WP_000355.jpg
    WP_000355.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 911
  • WP_000365.jpg
    WP_000365.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 935
  • WP_000367.jpg
    WP_000367.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 960
  • WP_000374.jpg
    WP_000374.jpg