OK, I'm gonna take the plunge. Need some advice...

LordHelmet

OK I think I've saved enough dough to do a build I've been wanting to do for quite a while.
I want to get something without a lot of parts to maintain as once it's done I want to ride as much as possible so I've settled on the old Honda CB350 (or CL). Since my back is a bit shot I'm going to go with a tracker type look as opposed to a cafe for more comfort.
I've found that Cognito Moto makes a lot of what I'm looking for - I would really like to do the USD GXSR fork conversion. I've read some people advising against it saying that the frame and swingarm aren't able to cope with those stiff forks without reinforcement. I'm not sure about that. Can anyone confirm or deny? Any reason not to? I'm doing this build as much for looks as for performance - I realize the front end is overkill.

Thanks-

Go for it.......will be following, considering I want to do the same.

I think is more of the fact it changes the chassis geometry and affects handling rather than the frame cant handle it. A few properly placed braces or gussets would fix that. But it can be done correctly... Good luck

I think it's a bit overkill and unnecessary for those bikes but yeah, if it's done right it shouldn't kill you -- and to each his own. It's your project. I saw a GSXR front end on a CL160 once.

Skip the Cogneto top clamp but get the hub for spokes and go with the stock 18" wheel size, have a gullwing top clamp (gets you an inch taller from axle to clamp) made so your geometry stays within reason and your turn in will barely change.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Why don't you ride the CB for a little while first and then decide if you want to take the handling a step backwards. The GSXR front end will look cool but it will not make the bike better in any aspect of performance over a freshened up stocker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

Something you may want to consider if you're going the tracker route, is running a CB750 front end. The taper bearings are the same for both, with the only difference being the length of the stems. You'll need a 4mm (5/32") thick spacer to make up the difference for the longer CB750 stem into the 350 neck. The 750 has thicker fork tubes (35mm) for stiffness, but the forks will also run longer than the stock 350. Longer shocks in the rear can give you more travel to match the front end height. While it's not a USD front end, it's a legitimate swap for the purpose of a tracker at a fraction of the cost.

Great thanks all this is very helpful. So more on my thoughts-
I want this to be a very quality and clean build done right so I'm willing to spend some money where I need to but saving money is also key as I have 3 bikes and my wife will bust my balls so I have to be smart about it.
I originally found the front end conversion idea for the bike because I want adjustability of the forks as well as disk brake. If there are other easier and cheaper options then I would consider going that route. I have to have spoke wheels.
regarding geometry I was going to upgrade the rear suspension with Fox shocks (or whatever else works) so I could make up any chassis issues I would think with those...

Cheers

LordHelmet said:
I want this to be a very quality and clean build done right

There are hundreds of ways to do it right. A Cognito Moto front end is just a really expensive version of it. Also, vintage forks can be modernized.

My other bikes are a BMW K1300S and a Kawi KLX250S that I fixed up. I also have a couple small Razor electric dirt bikes I ride with my 7 year old now that he's learning to ride.
I love new bike technology but I hate the way they all look for the most part. I'm very partial to 70's and even 80s bikes. Carbs don't scare me. I really enjoy working on my bikes - I consider myself a shade tree mechanic so there's a lot I need to learn which is why I wanted to start on something simple like the CB so I wouldn't get frustrated and not see it through. I grew up riding with my dad (who's 76 and still rides) so I want to pass the love on to my son and I'd like to build something I can hand down to him later.
I'm willing to listen to all advice here which is why I joined and I plan on sharing the progress. I appreciate all input. I'm already rethinking the GSXR front end. Is there another front end from the same era bikes that is a bolt on (or almost) that would give me disk brake and any upgrade on the forks would be a bonus. I suppose I could always go with emulators etc. The rear though I would like to upgrade to some nice adjustable Fox (or other) brand.

I've been looking at front end swaps for an actual flat track race bike. I'm no expert but I'm sure someone will chip in.
From what I understand you can either make a new steerer tube or push your old one out if that's possible then adapt it to fit your new yokes or just get a new one made up to suit. Any machine shop/someone decent on a lathe could do it. Cognition moto make them but they are expensive. Look awesome though

I put an RM250 front end on an XL, which has a longer stem that can't be altered due to the clamping area on the fork tubes.. To do it, I used the top of the RM steering tube, machined it down a bit so it will would slide into the top of the XL steering tube, then welded it in place...

1d96bcd8597d10fa7240c78209633207.jpg

4413f6bac343d7d524493e0595b1785c.jpg

b11e8f4aeaeafe86d0e9b0d882cd0e4f.jpg

Pinky23 said:
I've been looking at front end swaps for an actual flat track race bike. I'm no expert but I'm sure someone will chip in.
From what I understand you can either make a new steerer tube or push your old one out if that's possible then adapt it to fit your new yokes or just get a new one made up to suit. Any machine shop/someone decent on a lathe could do it. Cognition moto make them but they are expensive. Look awesome though

I'm sure you have already, but make sure you understand the rules in detail before swapping in modern parts to a vintage racer.

If you know something I don't then please let me know. I have looked and don't believe there are any restrictions to altering the parts. I hope to race DTRA classes - rookie and thunderbike.

I've looked at the regs but they're not the clearest! Looking for people that know the rules properly and also anyone who knows anything about chassis setup, angles, heights, rake, trail, wheelbase... anything to point me in the right direction

Back
Top Bottom