1978 Honda CB550K Resto-Mod

ironandtime

Since my bike project is in between a cafe racer and stock restoration, I thought I would post it here. I still have a lot of work to do, but it's getting somewhat close to the look and feel that I am striving for. Something modified, but not full tilt cafe racer. I bought this bike in all stock condition, and changes to date include:

new brakes front and rear
new custom seat (I wanted to keep a two-up configuration!)
taking tank down to bare metal with clear coat
remove tank and side cover badges
new 'euro' handlebars, grips, and bar end mirrors
new bullet style turn signals
new smaller tail light

I tried a Mac 4-into-1 all chrome exhaust for awhile, but decided to go back to my original 4-into-4 set. I think these look and sound better on the bike, plus it runs perfectly with the original set without having to re-jet the carbs or modify the air box.

I'll continue tweaking and experimenting with different mods, but I'm pretty happy with the direction that it is going so far. Latest pics are below:

cb550-a.jpg

cb550-d.jpg

cb550-e.jpg

cb550-c.jpg

cb550-b.jpg

cb550-f.jpg

Re: 1978 Honda CB550 Resto-Mod

cool bike, I like the 4 exhaust as well. The seat looks awesome.

Thanks, man. How do you like working on the 350? The '68 350s that I have seen look like amazing bikes. I hear the smaller twins are both easier and harder to work on than the fours :)

Ok, time to go ahead and tear her all down and build her back up again. Had it on the freeway today heading into work, which is the first time I've had it at a consistent 65mph for any length of time. Something in the lower rear of the engine couldn't handle it, so it started leaking oil all over the place. When I got it back home, there was oil all over the fender, center stand, rear wheel, dripping on the ground, etc. The upper regions of the engine have been leaking a bit anyway, so it's time I just take care of business and open her up. I'll remove the engine, inspect everything, soda blast/polish everything, then rebuild with new seals/gaskets and whatever else is needed (valves, rings, etc.). I'll just take this as a prompt to go ahead and tear the bike down and build her back up again, cleaning/restoring/replacing things as I go. I was about to tackle rebuilding and cleaning up the front end so as to try and do things in sections, but now I think it's time just to do the full monty. I won't get started for another week or two as I will be out of town, but once I start the process I'll post regular updates to document the progress. Now I'm REALLY gonna learn me something. Cheers.

ironandtime said:
Thanks, man. How do you like working on the 350? The '68 350s that I have seen look like amazing bikes. I hear the smaller twins are both easier and harder to work on than the fours :)

I like it alot. Having two cylinders with their own carbs and exhausts makes diagnosis easy. Only hard stuff to me is points and timing, and carbs, but that should be the same across the board. Its a lot of fun for a little bike though, and very simplistic.

Back
Top Bottom