CL175 electrical mystery

jammer415

Been Around the Block
CL175 won’t start after sitting a while.

Horn works fine, but when I turn on the headlight... it’s like something shorts out and the power to the system dies. Horn work work anymore, green neatrual light is off.

I disconnect/reconnect the battery, wait a few moments and the electrical works again... Until I try switching on the headlight.

Sounds like a short in the headlamp circuit. It could be in the left switch, wiring or the headlamp bucket. I'd start by removing the headlamp from the shell and inspect the wiring in there.

Ok I’m tearing into the headlight bucket now. Could a short like that develop in there just from sitting?

Also, there is no spark on left side... I’m about to test the dual coil with a multimeter.

Could these two problems be related?

Correction... Now I got no spark in either coil (maybe an occasional faint one in the right).

The ohm reading between plug caps is 23.7
And ohm reading between coil leads is 4.0

Does that sound about right?

I would just replace the coil, but you can at least remove both plug caps and test again and test the caps for resistance. Being a double ended coil, the only way it works is for both sides to be grounded through a good plug. What that suggests is that either a plug is bad and/or the caps are dead or there's a partial break in the HT leads.

What people do is to trim 1/4" off the ends of the HT leads and see if that plugs new caps fixes the problem.

It could be compounded by a dead battery. Take it to Autozone or Batteries plus and ask them to test it. They should be able to tell you if it's dead.

Yup already trimmed exactly 1/4” off the wires and re-screwed the caps back on, but I didn’t think of ohm testing the caps themselves. I’ll do that next.

The coil is only $20, but just wanted to do more diagnoses before buying parts. I’ll just bite the bullet try that next.

The battery is pretty new, I trickle charged it and it’s held 12.7V for the last three days... Can Autozone tell me more than my multimeter in terms of battery life?

Yes. Your local auto parts store can test it under load. That will show wheteher it just drains down fast with a load instead of holding it for longer.

Finally got the battery tested under load... It tested fine, according to the techs at Autozone.

Gonna just replace the coil next and see if that does the trick, otherwise wondering what else I can try?

Replaced the coil... Still nothing. The system is not getting power, as if the battery is dead (even though it has a new/freshly charged battery and brand new coil).

Do I have to start checking connections one by one starting at the battery and following up to each component? Which connection could possibly cause this? (Especially when turning on the headlight switch)

Is there an easy way to do this? Any help is super appreciated.

Nothing works. The big indicator is the green Neautral light... It turns off the moment I turn on the headlight switch, but the fuse doesn’t blow. Everything just shuts down.

Idk what happens when the system is back on and I can fire the starter, only to all Shit down again if I turn on the headlight.

Back
Top Bottom