rectifier diodes

pterodactyl

Been Around the Block
Is a rectifier diode pretty much a standard diode? I found some for cheap and was thinking about using one along with a headlight relay.
They are 1n4004 1A btw.

Yes, you can treat them like standard diodes.

I'm concerned about the application, though. Every headlight I know of will pull more than 1A, so you might fry your diode, depending on what your plans are.

Thanks, Its to try and diode the coil for a relay. The oem relay has the diode built in. It looks like it goes to the hi beam switch.

It's on a 81 xj 550. It also goes through a diode block from the alternator.

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-16_19-51-31.png
    upload_2018-7-16_19-51-31.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 348
OK. So you only want the headlight to turn on when the engine is on? Or were you after some other goal? Maybe just providing a more direct power line to the headlight to ensure things are brighter?

Thanks yeah the oem relay has a diode across the coil. I had a little Panasonic relay that would mostly just buzz. I made a adaptor for a external diode. I used a 1a 1000 volt diode instead of a 400 volt and it seemed to work fine. I think it's for spikes in the charging system. The bike has to have the relay with a diode though for the headlight to work the way it should. It also goes through a diode block from the alternator. Well at least the juice wont flow the wrong way lol

Yamaha has always had some weird idea's about lighting, at least from XS650 onwards

Back
Top Bottom