3D Printed side covers

Habanero52

The Race......is only with yourself!
These are a pair of side panels that have been drawn up in CAD and that I plan to 3D in Poly-carbonate.
Any suggestions and or recommendations gentlemen as to who if anyone on the forum could print them?

Attachments

• LH AND RH.JPG
    LH AND RH.JPG
    491.6 KB · Views: 207
I printed some tank badges through www.shapeways.com, but they weren't cheap. They base pricing on the type of material used and how much is used in cubic centimeters. My tank badges ended up being about $30 a piece to be printed in plastic using a laser sintering process. This process lays down a layer by layer of plastic powder while a laser melts the powder on each pass. The final product has a matte finish, and is fairly detailed. I think side covers may end up being a few hundred bucks each...

You may be able to find someone who can do extruded plastic printing process much cheaper, but the quality will be a little messy. Extruded plastic printing uses a plastic filament, or plastic pellets, that are melted and extruded through the print head, and it is built up layer by layer. The quality is not as good as laser sintering, and you will probably need to do quite a bit of sanding/filling to make it look nice.

If you're in a big city, then check with the biggest library, or nearby colleges. Sometimes they have 3D printers accesible to the public.

I have a buddy that works at a design studio in Boston with a resin based 3D printer, I can get you a price if you'd like, just send over the file.

Back
Top Bottom