What's your trade?

grandpaul said:
One of my latest drawings

I remember when cad first came to commercial construction... I made the little bastards drawing 3-D shit come to the job and show me how some of the crap they drew up worked... I heard a lot of "oh that won't work, will it" comments, I guess now the design is tested by the computer before it makes it to the plotter.

Tune-A-Fish said:
I remember when cad first came to commercial construction... I made the little bastards drawing 3-D shit come to the job and show me how some of the crap they drew up worked... I heard a lot of "oh that won't work, will it" comments, I guess now the design is tested by the computer before it makes it to the plotter.
That's exactly what I did when I worked for Michelin. I took drawings, made the parts and equipment they were designed for, and tested them for function. Made adjustments and resubmitted edits. This was early 90's.

I'm still making edits of other people's drawings on a daily basis.

Makes running a machine easy, though. Draw the part out, it writes the code for me, and shows me a simulation.

Mine started out as plain 2-D drawings produced after hours of careful measurements and double-checking.

Then, I just "faked" in the isometric view (note - drawing states "not to scale").

The 2-D drawings are 100% accurate for the waterjet cutter, the iso view is just an assembly diagram.

We should have the first batch of grinder parts in about 2 weeks.

Northernpete said:
I work in an underground gold mine. 4200 feel underground. Been at it for 16 years now.

Is a "feel" like a fathom? ;)

I would never be able to "work" as a gold miner for someone else... the first nugget would end up in my pocket and I'd be fired :-[

Fathoms. How nautical. Lol. Durn auto correct.

They say that the amount of gold stolen back in the early 1900's from the mines in the area was pretty spectacular.

Oh, and at 4200 feet, I'm still over 1500' from the working bottom of the mine. There was a collapse in the late 90s that prevents us from getting to the actual bottom right now (approx 8000 feet is the actual bottom level)

Northernpete said:
Fathoms. How nautical. Lol. Durn auto correct.

They say that the amount of gold stolen back in the early 1900's from the mines in the area was pretty spectacular.

Oh, and at 4200 feet, I'm still over 1500' from the working bottom of the mine. There was a collapse in the late 90s that prevents us from getting to the actual bottom right now (approx 8000 feet is the actual bottom level)

That's fucking crazy! Got any cool photos?

Back
Top Bottom