SR500 Project

rly DT250/350 tank. They're not "square" but they have a rad shape and a pretty wide tunnel.
1973-dt250.jpg

DT tank and a flat track tail like this one from Airtech:

Actually, the later monoshock DT's had the shock running right up the backbone so those tanks should be about as wide as the SR tank.

hillsy said:
Actually, the later monoshock DT's had the shock running right up the backbone so those tanks should be about as wide as the SR tank.

I've considered grabbing a swinger from a letter DT and going mono shock with it actually.....too many options.

Mike I don't think I want a tracker seat on this one, I'm thinking more of a brat seat like on my 400 but a little slimmer and in brown leather.

teledan said:
Nice work! That gas tank is custom. I am thinking about using the same tires on my XT500. I am also running a VM36 and I love it, here are my current settings but I just bought a 6DH3 Needle and a P8 Needle Jet and will be trying those soon.

Pilot: 30
Needle Jet: Q5
Needle: 6FJ6 (clip raised two notches)
Slide: 2.5
Main: 220

I am running an open megaphone exhaust. I am excited to see where you go with this bike!

Are you running with an air jet (in the intake bell)?

Have you considered the idea of a tank off a Yamaha XT 250/500 of the same erra?
There's a good chance they would fit more easily too.

M.

I really like these wheels.

I think I am going to powdercoat them in an oil rubbed aged bronze.....

o1marc said:
I have an infucktion in my ear
tits alright i'll finger it out later.

My little sister used to say infucktion when she was about 4, it was quite hilarious

did you blast them with the bearings in? if so, order some new ones. the grid gets everywhere.

Also a tip on blasting different workpieces.. if you blast steel first, particles of steel will mix with the medium. When you blast alu after that, the steel particles will embed in the alu and rust will occur.

Yeah ill be ordering bearings, I just didn't feel like spending the time to remove those haha.

Anybody watch arrested development?
"I've made a huge mistake"

I spent about 45 minutes blasting my engine side covers to perfection. They looked amazing.
Then to get the grit off I blew them off, then washed them, then looked down and saw the dishwasher! Genius!

Not genius.
It took my beautifully blasted surface and turned it a horrible blackish shitty color. Fuuuuuuck back to the blaster

So Ive decided I may as well tear the engine out and do this right the first time.
While I've got it out I am considering getting a little more pep, Id like it to lift the front tire effortlessly in second.

Anybody know enough about SR500's to give me a good idea on where to start?
Wiseco piston, megacycle cam?
Etc?

I know nothing, but I do know when I was looking at Web camshafts for my XS650, the SR500 options looked pretty good. $88 for a regrind of your cam for the different profiles.

If I have to rebuild my motor, I'll likely ship my little cam off to them for the 89 or 89a grind for some extra pep. Probably opt for the higher compression Wiseco piston too. Nice thing about singles - everything seems cheap :)

Thanks Tim,
I'll look into it!
I may not end up doing performance stuff, depends on how my budget goes honestly.
Im keeping really close tabs on budget on this one.

Got the wheels, rotors, kickstarter, brake lever, and sprocket blasted today

Then tackled disassembly
Jesus god there are a ton of bolts holding this motor in the frame. I bet i tried pulling it 5 times only to find more bolts.
ANd then theres 2 oil lines holding it in
And then theres the clutch cable
and then theres the wiring harness
jesus

Got it out just in time to set it up on my rolling workbench things, which promptly flipped over from the weight, landing an SR500 motor right on my toe. Awesome.

but hassles aside there is real progress here!

\

Now I just need to figure out what to do with that atrocious rear frame.
WTF was Mr. Yamaha thinking with that one? Wouldn't it be much easier just to run a single tube?

Back
Top Bottom