first build - 72 cb350

mikeat

hi, i'm mike, and mothgils put me up to this.

inspired by to much free time at my old job, i bought my first bike at the ripe old age of 36. i grew up a car guy - dad owned a carquest store - but despite owning a few cool cars along the way, i've never really worked on any of them. i figured an old honda was the best place to start, and when this popped up on craigslist i was on my way.

photo+(5).JPG

photo+(6).JPG

of course it ran like a champ, started with a push of a button, and i'd never been on a motorcycle before (had a little four wheeler experience), so it seemed like maybe i should just leave it alone for a while. but that's not all that fun, is it?

now with the help of andrew (mothgils) and another mechanic and drunk buddy who was so excited to wrench on a bike he offered to let me keep it in his garage, we're off. first thing's first, let's take some stuff off.

fenders:
photo+(7).JPG

seat:
photo+(8).JPG

battery and exhaust:
photo+(9).JPG

where we're at now:
photo+(10).JPG

plan is to get rid of the tachometer, black out the fenders and motor, replace the stock handlebars with drag bars, brat out the seat, and figure it out while we go. i picked the right guys to walk me through this, so i expect to be done last week. oh, and all this while i help open a brewery.

seriously though, should be fun. more as we go.

That bike looks pretty clean as is, so while normally I would hate someone for tarnishing a fairly original bike like that, I'll reserve judgement for now. Although I do own a cafe'd CB360, so I probably shouldn't be talking

Just found the build thread!

@edukaycheon - It is a pretty decent bike for it's age but it was definitely not a museum piece. Perfect candidate for modification!

Looking forward to more beer drinking, err wrenching next week!

HAHA!! We are planning to take over! Right now within a 20 mile radius we have 7-8ish bikes in progress between 6 of us and a new possible 450 project to add to the list.

Sorry to thread jack...but we have tossed the idea around of a big group of us riding to Mid-Ohio this year, so you better be there Jussy!

Damn right Justin, we figure with more males it makes it harder for you to steal our wives haha.

Mike, I love your 350. So clean to start with. Jealous haha.

Keith

P.S. I really had nothing to add to this convo, just wanted to subscribe to the thread for updates :p

thought i better update while i'm thinking about it.

before%2Bcut.JPG

cutting.JPG

fitting.JPG

fitted2.JPG

fitted.JPG

sparks.JPG

closer.JPG

motor.JPG

getting closer. thanks to andrew for knowing what the hell he's doing.

Are you going to leave the swingarm raw? Looks pretty cool. Keep it up.

Back
Top Bottom