The last bike project, I promise honey.. CB550 1978

Working on the oil leak, no pictures. 4 new o rings installed and a output shaft seal while I was down there. I picked out the color at the paint shop inspired by a car build I saw yesterday. I have painted the plastic headlight bucket until I was so disgusted with my results that it is stripped once again. Bike is wired and ready for the engine to get cleaned and installed. I love this impact driver, it is the balm..

Well the list gets short once the engine gets back in. Now waiting for the paint work to come back from the painter. I might just as well get the cx500 running while I wait. I forgot to take the right side while I was outside so here is an inside shot.

Not much new to report. I had the front fender sandblasted as the inside was a mess and while it was there I had him powder coat it.
Not sure if I will do this again on a fender, time will tell..here is the picture I meant to post..

Well it runs.. I put new points and condensers and she fired right up and idled too.. I know I have no pictures but I will run video when I get the tank back from the painter.

Question on the coils: The spark plug ends unscrew fron the wires easy peasy, do the wires come out of the coils?
I have one wire on each coil that was cut and then just joined together and I would like to fix this without new coils.
Thanks, Peter

No, the wires are part of the coils. If the wires are still well attached to the coils (they don't spin around) then you can just use the NGK wire spices:

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-electronic-ignition-parts-ngk-inline-spark-plug-wire-connector-207-120.html

If the connection at the coil is shot then you'll have to either try to drill them out and epoxy new wires in or just order a new set of Dyna coils.

Yeah, most people opt for the splice connectors. They're WAY less work and you can attach them really close to the coils so they stay hidden under the tank.

Wired, fired, fueled and rode it around in the basement as is, too funny. Waiting on the painter at this point, this bike is a done deal..

Love this. So simple and clean without any real jibber jabber of issues. Straight to the point and a good read.

Well done!

Well the painter did get the paint done, what a yawner.. I think it took him one day but 4 weeks to fit it in as it were. I just threw it together and took a shot, will wheel it out into the sunlight to give you a better idea of the true color. "The Outlaw"

I had to modify the rear inner fender as it was running into the seat big time. Made it work though.

as it is listed on Craigslist I rolled it inside for shits and giggles..

oh yes, just in case you forgot what it started out at..

If you don't mind me asking how much did the whole build cost start to finis?. I'm thinking of starting on and yours is similar to what I'm aiming for.

Back
Top Bottom