The last bike project, I promise honey.. CB550 1978

EGPhoto said:
If you don't mind me asking how much did the whole build cost start to finis?. I'm thinking of starting on and yours is similar to what I'm aiming for.

$3000 is as close as i can figure not including donor bike..

For those of you still signed on here is the "why I did it this way story."
The way I look at this cafe trend is that the rear of the bike can make or break the entire build and this is why the Benjie seat. It came with a tail light, a bracket to mount the plate to and it truly bolted onto the stock frame.
The header even though it is straight it did come with a baffle that makes this bike quieter than my cx500 with a regular glass pack on it.
The battery and electronics stayed put as I didn't want to mess with the relocation hassle and I like the amount of color added with the painted covers.
In hindsight the only thing I would have done differently would have been a set of tapered steering bearings. It is a comfortable ride even for a 6' rider. It was not a budget build but it was fairly quick and relatively painless.

downtown809 said:
Ok, wow thanks! Which bike are you referring to?
Mostly feeling like a putz after scouring your build..

Both are awesome but I was referring to the cb550. I like the clean grey and straight tank to seat look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedBump said:
Both are awesome but I was referring to the cb550. I like the clean grey and straight tank to seat look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am quite happy with how it turned out. Thanks again, Peter.

Which benjies seat is that? To me, it looks perfect on that 550 and looks to be the best option for prebuilt cafe seats.

RobbyD said:
Which benjies seat is that? To me, it looks perfect on that 550 and looks to be the best option for prebuilt cafe seats.

Seats: Fiberglass > Short > Short Seat Low

It was a true bolt on once I removed the 2 helmet hangers and stock seat hinges, the cross brace is the new rear mounting location.

Except for the lack of padding it is great.

Glad you posted again on this thread. Beautiful bike.
I hate to steal someone's paint color but do you mind sharing what paint code the tank is?

jwdmotorsports said:
I hate to steal someone's paint color but do you mind sharing what paint code the tank is?

I am not up on codes but does this work?
Martini Mica Grey, GM Holden 703H (H151)
I will stop by the store this afternoon and check, Peter

downtown809 said:
While I was downstairs working on the CX my wife got busy with the CB.

HAHA! I wish the girlfriend would let me make my bike our xmas tree this year!

VTNick7 said:
HAHA! I wish the girlfriend would let me make my bike our xmas tree this year!

I've had bicycles parked in the house but my wife prefers that things with engines stay in the garage.

jwdmotorsports said:

That is the correct number, it isn't PPG though. Peter

Back
Top Bottom