Project Zero

lonelywolf8588

Been Around the Block
Just picked up my new project. '81 Suzuki GS750. Runs good but the electrical comes with a free length of home extension cord in the middle of the harness. That is the only thing that scares me.

y8ute3y5.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Re: Back in the race for the ton.

Nothing a LOT of beer, a soldering iron, multimeter and test light won;t fix. Oh and some more beer helps too I find ;D Maybe some shrink wrap, connectors and a few more beer may be needed too.

Don't be a wuss superman

That will do 100 without breaking a sweat. You already won the "race for the ton" by buying what appears to be a 16-valve gs750.
The cam covers are throwing me off here. Appears to be a GSX E motor, or Katana 750 motor.. The GSX's were very similar to the GS models, but had the 16 valve head.

I just don't remember L model, if that's what yours is, every having the 16v head in '81. Doesn't mean they didn't, just means I didn't know.

If that is the 16v head, you are looking at near 80hp. More than enough to reach well into felony speed tickets.

I don't think my boss would appreciate a felony ticket. Since he's the deputy Chief of the police department and all.

Back in the race for the ton.

So what you're saying is that you're a janitor at a police station.

Actually I spend my days telling police what to do. It's kind of fun and the most frustrating thing at the same time.

While unloading it I found out there are no lights. Only brake light when the brake pedal is pushed. This is going to be a good project.

The project has officially started. With all the wiring concerns I ordered bulk wire to build a new harness. The plan is to get the electrical squared away before I start the conversion. That way I know everything is working before I take it all the way apart.

lonelywolf8588 said:
That way I know everything is working before I take it all the way apart.

Good plan.....I wish I had followed it.

This thing is full of surprises. I cleaned it with Simple Green and a toothbrush. There is actually a headlight switch on the left control. Everything works now except turn signals which are going away anyway.

Tons of work done. New headlight, taillight, and exhaust showed up. The rear has been rebuilt, polished, and painted. I'm just waiting on the seat to show up so I can hack the frame and get it painted.

Yep, that's a 125mph 'cruiser' when running right.
GSX motor ('square' cam end covers)
2 valvers are round with narrower cam box (shim over bucket, easiest valve adjustment ever - even easier than the screw and locknut valve adjustment on the 4 valve motors

I'm loving this bike already. I drove it around the area when I first got it and 40mph felt like 100mph. It's going to be a good project.

Get the speedo checked, old Suzuki's are notorious for reading slow, had a highly modified GS 550 that read 90mph when it was doing closer to 150 ;D
if bike is set up right, 100mph should feel like 40, not the other way round

The tach and speedo don't work. I'm going to investigate when I tear into the front end. Right now my priority is the rear. I'm just waiting for the new seat to show up.

The seat and grips showed up. Now I can get the frame finished and start reassembling the rear.

The rear is reassembled and ready. I need to make mounts for the seat and do the taillight wiring. Then it's on to the front end.

Two of the exhaust flange bolts are stripped and I have to replace the cylinder head. I decided might as well do a full rebuild while I'm at it.

evuvysab.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk now Free

Back
Top Bottom