1977 Yamaha XS750 Cafe Rebuild

Update: Got the back hoop seat bar made and welded on, I am starting to get pumped about fiber glassing my own seat... not so excited about the upholstery.

It's coming along nicely! I love those tanks for some reason, just have a nice shape and pre-dished sides, so cool. This guy did some neat stuff that wasn't overly expensive, watch towards the end and I think he has another close up of the bike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FcO90iGM5E

Spitfire151 said:
It's coming along nicely! I love those tanks for some reason, just have a nice shape and pre-dished sides, so cool. This guy did some neat stuff that wasn't overly expensive, watch towards the end and I think he has another close up of the bike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FcO90iGM5E

looks and sounds really good. I wonder what kind of gauges he has because they look good. looks like double chrome guages.

I love seeing another triple. It looks like the PO did some work. Did he rebuild the engine himself or was it done at a shop? Have you checked out the Yamaha tripes site? You'll find all the answers there. I'd be worried about the tire hitting that loop without a kink. If you look at my build. My tire has touched the seat pan once or twice between the taillights over big bumps. I'm plannig to add heavier duty springs and possibly a small rubber bump stop to the shocks.

yea, i thought about the whole springs thing too, I am really banking on having just enough room but I guess i will find out if i hit a bump too fast, lol. And I was told the engine was rebuilt by a guy who owns a small car shop... it looks like he did a good job but i have not cranked the bike since the carbs have been cleaned. And dude, you have one of the sweetest bikes I have ever seen, Amazing job!

Update: Got the metal cut out for the seat! Can't wait to weld this sucker on, that way I can mount the battery and fiberglass a seat.

Update: Watching my buddy Robert weld the back seat pan on, I cannot weld worth a damn. Sanding and cleaning it up tonight. Now I just have to find a good fiberglass kit.

Update: After some bumping and grinding the seat pan is looking sweet. Got it painted black, this thing is finally taking shape!

Update: After inhaling about 3 pounds of green foam... the cafe seat mold is lookin purty nice.

Update: Fiberglass mold was a success! After adding about 6-7 layers of that liquid mess I actually have a seat I can work with! Totally dreading the sanding now...

Update: Cleaned my work space... this is a much greater accomplishment than building a cafe racer. Place was a dump.

Spitfire151 said:
Looks cozy lol, I see some carbs are apart. Damn nice workshop ya got there.

thanks, took me forever to clean it last night... hopefully things will move faster now. Question for you though, have you ever had a problem with bolt on handlebars moving? Mine are bolted on and do not move easily... but if I really jerk the hell out of them they will pivot forwards and backwards... I was looking for a solution to keep them still. Another guy wrote that he put rubber in between the bar clamps and rods and it helped.

Oh that's no good. I would use the rubber idea, I have yet to experience any issues like that with clipons.

Did you order the wrong size perchance?

looking really good! for the clip-on handlebars you can just cut open a soda can and put that in between before you bolt them on...

Update: Happy New Year!!! hope you don't have too bad of a hang over. I spent my new years break trying to perfect my fiberglass cafe seat and i think it is looking pretty spiffy. After sanding and bondo and sanding and bondo... then more sanding... I finally have the seat done, except for the padding and painting.

I also cut the hole for my cool looking tail light enclosure... sorry, forgot to snap pics.

And after weeks of watching videos on how to make cafe seats but absolutely NO videos on how to mount them to your bike... I decided to fiberglass rods that would bolt directly to my seat pan with wingnuts. That way nothing can be seen, very clean looking.

Back
Top Bottom