RD350 Road Racer, She is Finally coming along. NEW PICS

Mr_Dunev

I have no idea what I am doing
[size=14pt] So this is my first build, and I am going to take my sweet time. I have little to no mechanical experience so I am just going to have to learn along the way. Luckily there are tons of people WAY more knowledgeable than I am on this website. Some of you have already been a big help, in answering questions.

So lets get to the build. I picked up my RD350 in December 2012, and it was the first bike I got running with a simple carb clean. So this bike holds a lot of meaning for me. I have had someone offer to buy it, but I love it too much. I have been having some difficulty trying to decide which way to take the build, but think I have decided on a Cafe/Road racer(ish) build. Haven't decided on a color scheme yet, but hopefully it will come to me as I dive into the project.

Two days ago I picked up an RD400, that had lots of parts I could use without having to go out and buy them individually. Hopefully I can sell what I don't need, to pay for some of the parts I have yet to buy. My goal is to do the entire build for less than $2000, which includes the bikes, paint and parts.

So here are a BUNCH of photos showing what I have to work with. Both bikes came with extra parts and I finally got around to going through everything..

Here is the "parts bike" It is probably in better shape than my 350 and It runs "ok" and has a lot of parts that I will swap out to the 350.

Re: RD350 Cafe/Road Racer - First Build - Will probably need lots of help

So I finally took the time to lay all the extra parts i had, and take some pictures so I can decide what I am going to use.

I'm not sure what other parts I am going to need yet. I will need a new for sure gas tank, and I am going to see if I can make the RD400 seat work.

I am limited on space right now, and don't have a lot of room to work with so it might be a little while before I can post updates.

Run the coils, swingarm off the parts bike for sure

Radness. If ya have any questions, we'll get ya sorted. What pistons are those in your "parts" pile?

VonYinzer said:
Radness. If ya have any questions, we'll get ya sorted. What pistons are those in your "parts" pile?

The box says something like "82-07 Banshee" But I can't remember off the top of my head. However the pistons are used, and might be the original pistons from the bike, and the pistons that were in the box might be in the bike (according to Brad ;D )

Kind of looka like this, but i can't remember if it said RD350 on the box or not
Photo-Mar-25-3-03-48-PM-800x600.jpg

I found my build inspirations. Tank, fairing and fender.

NOT the seat, i think that thing looks terrible, but it is still the closest thing I could find for what I had pictured in my head.

tumblr_mhf19uii7k1r96gqoo2_12801.jpg

tumblr_mhf0wi2lm61r96gqoo2_12801.jpg

tumblr_mhf0wi2lm61r96gqoo4_12801.jpg

Cool I'm in !!! Are those DG heads ???

Watch out for brad he'll talk you into building a RD350 monster if you let him !!!

DreadRock said:
Cool I'm in !!! Are those DG heads ???

Watch out for brad he'll talk you into building a RD350 monster if you let him !!!

DG heads on the 350, Daytona heads on the 400.

Haha Brad has actually been my go-to guy when I have questions. I have to commend his patience since I have no idea what I am doing.

Those are huge banshee pistons the stock bore is 64mm those are 65.75 idont know that it wouldnt just be better to ebay those guys

You realize that in your possession, are the makings of a bike that will straight up slap bikes twice its size across the face with a bat all while stealing someones lunch money, right? Go big. Hurt peoples feelings. Scare sportbike riders. You may not be faster than them, but you'll definitely be cooler. ;)

VonYinzer said:
You realize that in your possession, are the makings of a bike that will straight up slap bikes twice its size across the face with a bat all while stealing someones lunch money, right? Go big. Hurt peoples feelings. Scare sportbike riders. You may not be faster than them, but you'll definitely be cooler. ;)

Thanks that was incredibly nice of you to say. Even though this is my first build, I want to go ALL out.

I just emailed the Japanese company to see if they sell that tank. It is pure SEX.

I'm in, these are cool 8)

Spent a couple hours in the garage tonight. Didn't get much done.

I should be able to take the engine out next time, and disassemble the rest of the bike. Since this is my first time doing this, I am pretty darn slow.

Mr_Dunev said:
I am pretty darn slow.

Don't rush, take whatever time is necessary!

You've got the makings of a top bike, and having Brad and The Von in your corner is a huge help.

I think $2000 is a bit optimistic though.

Crazy

150 page build thread here we come

Great project. What tank and fairing is that on the Grey Honda?

A race rep would be cool. If the bike is fast then a yellow and black paint scheme would be excellent, somehow a slow race rep just seems wrong.

You might be able to do it for $2k if you sell off enough parts. The support here should be a non issue, the North Easterners know whats up with the RD's.

To avoid going broke and insane, try to focus on one bike and sell the rest.

The 400 is a much better bike all round BUT is the frame a 400 or 350 and is it titled? If yes to both, clean up the 350 to make it shine and sell it. The 400 has a decent set of big carbs, spec11 pipes and rear sets. Those big pistons will go in and it suggests that maybe that motor is already bored out pretty large so I'd pop the head off and take a peak inside to see piston/bore size and condition.

I love race reps but to me they yell look at me and I don't usually want that much attention from the Police or anyone else. That SR has an awesome tank and the fairing is available on the net. It's an adaptation of a Dunstall design from the late sixties so it's slightly out of synch with the rest of the bike, but that's probably OK.

If the 400 turns out to have a 350 frame or no title or 65mm bores, I'd be thinking that maybe teh 350 would be less of a PIA. Both use the same pistons and reeds so that's a start. 400 barrels are harder to find and their cranks are different and harder to get too but easy to rebuild. For the 350 you can but new cranks and barrels from Vito's so there are more bits if you need them.

I have a set of old Spec11 pipes on my RZ and they are so nicely made and sound so good, that I'd recommend them. They look a little short though and may be from a 350. If they are, that would be an issue.

So see what's inside the 400 and let that an legalities be your guide and sell the rest.

Your budget will be:
Tires
Cables
Chain and sprockets
Oil seals and gaskets
Maybe a crank rebuild and maybe a rebore
5 cans of rattle paint
And then maybe a different tank and a fairing

I'd like to see a disk on the front though. Drums are not so good, but that might mean different forks and hub and rim and spokes.

Back
Top Bottom