1975 CB360 Freeze-dried Hell Ride

Re: 1975 CB360 Cafe Edit Volume 2

Sonreir said:
+2mm over on the bore (378cc), custom forged aluminum pistons to bring the compression up to 11.5:1, +1mm over on the valves, mild port (cleaned up the casting marks, mostly), 5-angle grind on the valve seats, hot cam (+.040" lift and 21° duration). Also running tuned open stacks and long exhaust.
I was considering porting, since I have a limited budget (mostly because I'm sending off my Roadrunner engine this year), then deciding on an over bore later. I wonder, though, if there is enough benefit to porting alone on these small engines to even consider the effort.

Are you doing the work yourself, using a local shop, or sending them off? I'm having trouble finding a local shop to do motorcycle work. They'll machine my 383 all day, but they won't touch the Honda.

I did the port clean-up myself. Pretty easy to do. Just get a dremel with a sanding attachment and smooth out the casting marking. Finish up the rest of the ports with 220 grit and you're good to go. DEFINITELY avoid nicking the valve seats, however.

Sonreir said:
I did the port clean-up myself. Pretty easy to do. Just get a dremel with a sanding attachment and smooth out the casting marking. Finish up the rest of the ports with 220 grit and you're good to go. DEFINITELY avoid nicking the valve seats, however.
I usually slide throwaway valves in to keep from nicking the valves seats. Though I haven't done it on a motorcycle engine yet.

More modding of the XL headlight bracket; taking the original CB gauge bracket, a few inches of flat stock and retrofitting a new gauge mount.

honda_36_zpseb5c342f.jpg

Top triple tree is altered and the gauge/light mount is complete.

honda_37_zps15501484.jpg

Sonreir said:
+2mm over on the bore (378cc), custom forged aluminum pistons to bring the compression up to 11.5:1, +1mm over on the valves, mild port (cleaned up the casting marks, mostly), 5-angle grind on the valve seats, hot cam (+.040" lift and 21° duration). Also running tuned open stacks and long exhaust.
I'm definitely a little jealous. :D Something to aspire for fer sher. I found this place for cams http://www.megacyclecams.com/catalog/catalog.pdf, but still no idea on pistons. Is this a GS850 swap or a Wiseco kit? I haven't seen a lot online, but I'm still digging.

deviant said:
I'm definitely a little jealous. :D Something to aspire for fer sher. I found this place for cams http://www.megacyclecams.com/catalog/catalog.pdf, but still no idea on pistons. Is this a GS850 swap or a Wiseco kit? I haven't seen a lot online, but I'm still digging.
Maybe these are trade secrets. ;D Not that I will ever put all that into this 360. The research is fun, though. I'll take that over most books any day. The sprocket decision is starting to look like maybe not the best. It's good to have a 34T anodized alloy rear sprocket, but going to 18 on the front is questionable. I certainly don't like the idea of burning clutches to get momentum off the start. There's definitely some data I need to learn how to interpret, and my experience in modifying is too little to have that to fall back on. My suspension decisions will have to wait for the road. I like the stance, and I want it to be more responsive in the turns. But I also don't want to lose too much off the rear wheel. At only 5'6", I have my seat position set all the way forward. That and rear shock height may make things a little squirrelly. I have the stock length if I need to go back in that direction. For now, it's all conjecture. On to the bike...

This is the final view before I start digging into the engine and brakes:
honda_38_zpsbbcfa039.jpg

Submitted for your approval.

Attachments

• 209542_10150219386150159_5100770_o.jpg
    209542_10150219386150159_5100770_o.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 368

Sonreir said:
Submitted for your approval.
You are a fine gentleman. Thank you, sir. All it takes is a little bling to make a man's brain fixate. :p I could see this motorcycle having several lives. Are they ever really finished?

deviant said:
You are a fine gentleman. Thank you, sir. All it takes is a little bling to make a man's brain fixate. :p I could see this motorcycle having several lives. Are they ever really finished?

Dunno... it's been three years for me, but I'll tell you when I get there.

I think it's been almost 15 years on mine, everytime I get it to where I think I want it something else comes to mind and it gets stripped to the frame...

Got me some bling in the mail today- my newly jetted magic carbs courtesy of CrazyPJ. Thank you, sir. Gonna get real.

honda_39_zps82571bb0.jpg

What kind of shape were they in... Mine are rough and I am not impressed so far with my mikuni carbs on the other bike.

Ellwood said:
What kind of shape were they in... Mine are rough and I am not impressed so far with my mikuni carbs on the other bike.
These I rebuilt, then sent them to PJ to have jetted for pods and to have his plugs installed. I have another set that I can hook you up with if you need them. They're in good shape.

Might have to take you up on that... I have two but they need some serious sonic cleaning... At least they are not gummed up with goo and the diaphragms seem fine.

Re: 1975 CB360 Freeze-dried Hell Ride V2

Cracked open the clutch cover last night. The motor has definitely been gone through in it's life, since gaskets have been replaced with some type of black RTV. At only 8,000 miles, I suppose that's a good thing. I just wish they had used gaskets. I cleaned the oil filter and opened up and tapered the oil transfer orifice to hopefully improve oil flow. I know this is a mod PJ posted here, so hopefully I have opened it enough. I'm considering buying CB500 HD clutch springs. If anyone knows if that will improve clutch response if/or when I go with the 18/34 sprockets please let me know. I'm running 5W-40 synthetic oil, which PJ mentioned in his thread could cause slippage, too. I don't want the sprocket and oil together to create a downward spiral for my clutch.

honda_40_zps2174a716.jpg

oooh boy... I'd go through the engine and fish out all the rtv gummies that are floating around, I've seen two cb360 engines in particular killed by rtv so far. One moron used it on the rocker cover, the other used it on the crankcase, in both cases, the gummies wound up blocking the oil pickup screen so much it collapsed, and also starved the top end and roasted the cam bearings...

Roc City Cafe said:
oooh boy... I'd go through the engine and fish out all the rtv gummies that are floating around, I've seen two cb360 engines in particular killed by rtv so far. One moron used it on the rocker cover, the other used it on the crankcase, in both cases, the gummies wound up blocking the oil pickup screen so much it collapsed, and also starved the top end and roasted the cam bearings...
You're exactly right. The oil filter screen was filled with RTV. Fortunately, oil has been getting to the top end, so it wasn't causing complete blockage. RTV wasn't used on the crankcase, but it was definitely used on the rocker cover, the alternator cover and the clutch cover.

long as you got her open. I just did the oil pickup swap out, as per the 08/25/1976 service bulletin. Ebay if you search for CJ360 oil pick up. a little larger than the original but Fits in perfectly. Keeps it from sucking air when idling on side stand, and toasting the top end.

Still waiting on gaskets and more hondabond, but the CJ pickup came in...
honda_41_zpsfcf6e3bd.jpg

... nice and snug.
honda_42_zpsf1aec5ec.jpg

Back
Top Bottom