XJ650 '81 - First solo project.

Ribo

Twist the "go-go" side and hold on!
Been lurking here for a while and have y'all to thank for teaching me a shed load. I worked with a friend in TX on a couple of builds, him being the mechanic and me being the guy that bought the beer and asked dumb questions... anyway, I moved to Virginia last year and here's my first solo project. Presenting, the silver bullet...(more like a silver stone right now!).

I haven't had a bike for a year so now I've gotten this in a road worthy condition I'm going to ride it for the summer. I'll be making some mods cos I can't stand the bars but the main, strip and rebuild will be done over the winter, at least that's the plan unless i get impatient - which I tend to do.

Attachments

• IMG_2449.jpg
    IMG_2449.jpg
    802 KB · Views: 293
Well the bars, grips and a small mirror arrived last night...horrible photo..I'd had "a" beer.. going to try the fit tonight...

Attachments

• IMG_2498.jpg
    IMG_2498.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 258
Got the bars, grips and right switch housing in place last night... Became clear really quickly that the stock levers and perches ain't going to work.. I was planning on replacing them anyway cos they have a hole in the top for the rabbit ear mirrors that are gone but was going to wait but now it's clear that they don't fit in the reduced space.... so new ones on order.....

Attachments

• IMG_2510.jpg
    IMG_2510.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 268
  • IMG_2508.jpg
    IMG_2508.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 268
  • IMG_2507.jpg
    IMG_2507.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 258
  • IMG_2499.jpg
    IMG_2499.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 260
Yeah - these are hand-made replica 1970 Tommaselli grips from Ariete, made in Italy but sent from USA... I love em..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-Tommaselli-natural-gum-rubber-grips-01617-A-P-from-Italy-Ducati-Guzzi-/171295976509?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e2092c3d&vxp=mtr

Best of luck on the build. I also like those grips. I flirt with the XJ bikes, I have a yen for an XJ550. I like the 550 simply because it's chain drive. They are also dirt cheap and reliable.
Cheers, 50gary

Got the bar end Mirror on last night... that wasn't as easy as it supposed to be. The internal spreading mechanism that is supposed to grip inside the tube ( found out it's called a "collet") kept spinning inside the bars even with the assembly tightened together.. I wish now I'd taken photos but I didn't. There's a nut on the end of this that a bolt fits in and pulls the collet out as you tighten but I couldn't get it started inside the bar.

Thanks to this video on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKmW2eyJKXc I ended up putting the collet and nut in vice to push the nut further into the collet, this still didn't spread the collet enough so I had to then hammer the nut carefully down the collet by another 5mm or so using a punch tool as to try not to damage the nut too much.. Once I had this done I put the assumbly back together, tightened it so it was firm and then tapped it into the bar end with a rubber hammer... so all in all a little more involved than the just put it in and tighten it instructions...pfffff

Attachments

• IMG_2512.jpg
    IMG_2512.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 238
Looking at the profile of the bike now it's amazing what a difference those bars make... now the tanks pissing me off though...

Attachments

• IMG_2513.jpg
    IMG_2513.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 336
  • IMG_2515.jpg
    IMG_2515.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 251
Yes, the "swoopy" bottom line of the tank (common to most of the whole XJ line) is problematic in redesigning; as are the "swirlly" wheels. If you are fortunate to locate them, you can install the tank/seat/tail/side panels from a XJ650 Seca (only available in the USA 1 year) which had more of a flat bottom line and more of a cafe racer look and will mount right up. FWIW all the XJ 650/750 tanks/body parts interchange as a set; or you can use other XJ tanks on your 650 and make custom seat/tail/side panel units. Also, the earlier '80s Virago 750/920/1100 tanks may directly fit and have more of a flat bottom profile. You can check out other modified Maxims at XJ Bikes (http://xjbikes.com/Forums.html); look under XJ Modifications. And you really should be a member there for all the tech and replacement part info.

Thank dude,

Appreciate the info - this is great stuff and will surely help me a ton! I really want to put a super boxy slimline tank on it - may be a manx..

I asked for a membership to xjbikes twice and I get an email saying a moderator will review my membership and let me know... it's been over three weeks and I've heard nothing from them yet...

zap2504 said:
Yes, the "swoopy" bottom line of the tank (common to most of the whole XJ line) is problematic in redesigning; as are the "swirlly" wheels. If you are fortunate to locate them, you can install the tank/seat/tail/side panels from a XJ650 Seca (only available in the USA 1 year) which had more of a flat bottom line and more of a cafe racer look and will mount right up. FWIW all the XJ 650/750 tanks/body parts interchange as a set; or you can use other XJ tanks on your 650 and make custom seat/tail/side panel units. Also, the earlier '80s Virago 750/920/1100 tanks may directly fit and have more of a flat bottom profile. You can check out other modified Maxims at XJ Bikes (http://xjbikes.com/Forums.html); look under XJ Modifications. And you really should be a member there for all the tech and replacement part info.

What about a XS1100 Standard tank - does this fit without any mods?

Looks like I'm going to need to replace the clutch cable - needs to be around 41 inches but I'm struggling to find a replacement. Any one got any advice?

The original cable can be shortened. Might save a few bucks? It's not all that difficult to do.
Cheers, 50gary

Thanks man, I was looking into that and the hassle of doing it with having to solder the end back on and cutting the outer sheath I figured it might be better to just replace it for $10 or so. Also there's some damage to the outer sheath in one spot.

I found this on ebay but not sure it will work http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/200274262929?lpid=82

Ribo said:
What about a XS1100 Standard tank - does this fit without any mods?

No, none of the XS models will fit (the XJ series has a wide multi-tube frame, the XS has a single large tube frame). However I have seen on the XJ Bikes forum where one person had success installing an early Honda CB750 tank. From his discussion thread:
"honda cb 750, 900, and 1000 (1980-82?) tanks will fit on our frames, you will have to take off our tank mount rubbers, shave off half of the tank mount on the tank and frame, and move the coils, I kind of made my own coil mount and stacked them on top of each other in their original spot. The cb750 tanks are about 2 inches longer too, so I simply bent some metal and bolted one end to the original mount and bolted the tank to the other end of the metal. cb750 has the triple back bone too that's why it works; XJ650 and 750 frames are virtually the same. But there's kinda no easy going back once you do, because you have to shave off some of the Maxim or Seca's tank mount on the frame, its easy to do, just not too easy to reverse, but I suppose you could weld it back on kinda easy.. idk"

Thanks,

It's going to be interesting finding the right tank for sure but it's not something I need to do right now. I'll just keep my eyes open. I think the best option right now is that SECA tank that you mentioned. I like it but as you said, hard to find. I saw this one on ebay but it looks to be too badly dented.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XJ650R-650-SECA-GAS-FUEL-TANK-NICE-INSIDE-/380884526840?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58ae7ca6f8&vxp=mtr

Any thoughts on the clutch cable?

Ribo said:
Any thoughts on the clutch cable?
I'm assuming 41" is shorter than stock; how much shorter? Too short to just install a new replacement at OEM length? If too short, you might be better off getting a universal unit and cutting to length (which probably means creating a solder pot) or looking at a unit for a XJ550 Seca (not sure of length but bars have less bend than a 650 Maxim).

I have to take a good 20 inches off the stock cable... I'm going to give it a go - after thinking about it, it shouldn't be too hard (famous last words) and the point is to learn right!

So I got all the controls back on and working - I replaced the clutch lever with a new shorty one which I really like but I'm struggling to find a master cylinder with a similar lever so I got the stock one back on. The outlet is right over the top of the fork but I managed to squeeze it in there with some magic.

Cable wise I haven't changed anything yet - just wanted to get it back on the road but I'm not too happy with any of them right now. The throttle cable arch's way out in front, the clutch is doing this loop thing before it goes under the tank and the choke is routed all the way round the forks and back. I initially had it routed way too tight and was wondering why the bike was revving up to 6000 when I turned left... haha.. that was fun..

I would ideally like to find replacement cables but if not then I'll try my hand and shortening them this weekend. I just don't like soldering, cables when they are so important.

Attachments

• IMG_2528.JPG
    IMG_2528.JPG
    548.6 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_2522.jpg
    IMG_2522.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 382
Back
Top Bottom