Solved cb450 tappet adjustment with .03mm feeler

davidricci

Hi Guys, dont buy a cheap Chinese feeler gauge! Got a German made set and .03 was far firmer!

Please Share. -David

Re: Please Share cb450 tappet adjustment with .03mm feeler... HOW???

I put it between the cam follower and the cam. I adjust it so that it will just barely slide in. If it won't slide in, it bends.

It is hard to get right because the lock nut tends to move the adjustment shaft slightly.

Hey I don't mean to hijack the thread; Wondering how do you get to the valve adjustment screws to begin with???

I can't seem to find the tappet covers to unscrew like on the 350/360/550, etc and can't even seem to find tappet covers for sale online anywhere.

Are valves on the 450 simply adjusted on the outside of the engine without removing any covers? Or how?

(Photos are always much appreciated)

Hi Rerover, yes the 450 tappers have exterior adjustment screws. You remove the valve covers to get to the place where you put the feeler gauge. -D

redrover said:
Hey I don't mean to hijack the thread; Wondering how do you get to the valve adjustment screws to begin with???

I can't seem to find the tappet covers to unscrew like on the 350/360/550, etc and can't even seem to find tappet covers for sale online anywhere.

Are valves on the 450 simply adjusted on the outside of the engine without removing any covers? Or how?

(Photos are always much appreciated)

I highly recommend you read up on how this engine works, especially regarding the cylinder head. Because of the torsion bar valve springs, it is not like other Honda engines. I managed to bend a valve on mine because I didn't understand how it worked.

There are lots of good resources on www.hondatwins.net on how to service these engines.

Ok so each cover has four screws, plus the adjustment screw, correct?

Does the adjustment screw come all the way off to remove the cover?

And what about the one that goes through the bracket where the points are? Do I have to remove the entire points assembly to get to that valve?

Any photos of the covers removed?

And ya I love HondaTwins, a lot of good info on there... I'm trying to learn as much as I can (although I seem to get rerouted to some spam site every time I open any HondaTwins thread). I also tried to register there, but somehow the registration feature is disabled now? Anyone have similar experiences with HondaTwins?

Any other resource to really learn about this engine?

Back
Top Bottom