Not uh Cafe, Tracker, Bober, Racer, Flat Bil... The Nothin Speacial GPZ

Tune-A-Fish

BOTM LOSER Proudly Deplorable
Just gonna run this here to generate some interest in the GPZ750 R1 Baby ELR style as I bring it back to life and then sell it off.

Before and after will not be dramatic.

As i took it over.

Attachments

• ELR.jpg
    ELR.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,708
After a long drive home

1a29ddde2770ebe575538527eb4fbe0d.jpg

After Unloading I let it sit for a day knowing the starter clutch was "getting bad"... Well turns out its not bad it in fact has shit the bed Fred.

After my initial inspection and start up I knew we had issues in both air/fuel delivery and ignition woes. Further inspection revealed that the carb upgrade was done by a highly trained moron, one fuel screw 7 turns out the next 3 ? One had no juice at all so off they came and a full disassembly with chem bath. While soaking the timing cover came off and as expected we had a nice little mess.

ef7893739376b1363519a3453e90121f.jpg

The Deviant juice worked its magic, the timing slinger would live again.

f8da88829ad6bfb82cc0bb47d8e7cf71.jpg

For the pros yes it's on right, but the rotor is 180deg out :eek:

I was able to get the starter clutch to engage enough to pull a cold compression test, all over 150psi with #3 at 165psi. Later we'll check it at op temp.

0dd20d4ecab2f38439788d157796eb5b.jpg

Moving onto the start issue, the covers come off the pan off and we see the damage to the workings of the clutch and start gear and even the caged needle bearing has some light rutting in the needles (never seen that 1) off to eBay for used parts and found a real decent "looking" soup to nuts shaft with all the goodies in tact.

This is not how the thing should look :eek:

d6ae03a2b230b7bacc0745522ce98f1f.jpg

Seems like a tough job, but more time consuming and dirty than hard if you follow the (factory shop manual) directions, even if your a hero all of these have little things that need a at least a glance to make sure you don't fight things both out and back in.

fe8e95cece6ea02a0e8b2b3a04f6d23f.jpg

Look close at your parts, inside and out of all mating surfaces look for hot spots and cupping from the rollers or bearings, started to polish/sand off the ridges on my start gear and will finish it up, but will also comparison check with the eBay chunk.

00462d77a68322b2ce6d635f6f1d2ccd.jpg

Stay "Tuned" after things are buttoned up and running we'll pull another compression test, see if I can sync the carbs in and move onto pulling the valve cover to check valve clearance and modify the upgraded air box to a better fitment new filter location and add a few vents to make that work. Suspension and brakes will need to be reworked also.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

When it was listed, I never thought it needed saved. Clearly, the internet lies and pictures aren't worth shit. I look forward to seeing how you save it. One of my favorite bikes right here.

deviant said:
When it was listed, I never thought it needed saved. Clearly, the internet lies and pictures aren't worth shit. I look forward to seeing how you save it. One of my favorite bikes right here.

Most of the bolts for the body, battery box, air box anything cosmetic or to do with fuel delivery was only finger tight, this kid was moving and tossed it together and sold it off... Nice kid just starting out so I feel his loss, but full disclosure would not have had me driving 34 hours to buy it even for what I paid.

That said, I'm happy I have it and I will do all I can to make it live again, not just run, but be reliable for the next owner.

while you're in there you may want to replace the starter sprocket. I did a starter clutch rebuild on a buddies kz750E and after 6 months it started slipping again. Second time i replaced the sprocket as well and it has been going strong for years now. the flange where the clutch rollers ride has texture on a new sprocket so i think once they get worn smooth they are less effective.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zephyr-750-stock-rockets-starters-p-new-12046-1032-/282127032872?hash=item41b014e228:g:qFgAAOSw-KFXffJ1&vxp=mtr

Attachments

• StarterClutchGearComparision.jpg
    StarterClutchGearComparision.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 337
doc_rot said:
while you're in there you may want to replace the starter sprocket. I did a starter clutch rebuild on a buddies kz750E and after 6 months it started slipping again. Second time i replaced the sprocket as well and it has been going strong for years now. the flange where the clutch rollers ride has texture on a new sprocket so i think once they get worn smooth they are less effective.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zephyr-750-stock-rockets-starters-p-new-12046-1032-/282127032872?hash=item41b014e228:g:qFgAAOSw-KFXffJ1&vxp=mtr

Thanks Doc, I put that on my watch list. Just finished with gasket duty, good news is I'm the first one in. To me ne way :eek:

I purchased this: entire unit off eBay, seems I win some god and bad, but for $58 I will have a look, the starter gear was chewed or rutted up some, but I cleaned it up with emery which gives it some texture and like I said, I will measure them to see if either is worn more than the other.

It's just part of a rotating mass robbing power, if it were a race bike, I would put a kick start init and toss it all, the lower case has a place for it just not finish machined.

s-l1600.jpg

Yeah, big difference, kind of a radial grip pattern eh.

I could hit it with the sand blaster :eek:

Went looking for a master link in the chain... Inside, no clip and looks like it had none for a long while
8638c8742114c016d9473a1fe10232e3.jpg

Think I found what the trouble really was
93e81ee8c8f31812b9ee4ab6b777c37f.jpg

This little pile seems to have fixed, spins over like it should now
1c3dc0a0e6cb49abae85c22ec4996e81.jpg

I make a hellofa strawberry rhubarb pie too
a8af0e1c820dd5c167305c2207eae003.jpg

julian.allard66 said:
In the UK we'd call your pies crumbles, and strawberry with rhubarb, talk about ruining the rhubarb.

You can't "ruin" all the rhubarb shits a weed... besides, who the fuck are you to diss my cooking :mad:

Tune-A-Fish said:
You can't "ruin" all the rhubarb shits a weed... besides, who the fuck are you to diss my cooking :mad:
I'm friends with someone who used to be a chef at the Savoy in London, which obviously gives me the right to criticise any cooking, even though I rarely cook myself.

Top tip from the chef, when eating in a restaurant you haven't been in before, pick something from the menu that the kitchen staff can't make too much of a mess of.

Back
Top Bottom