81 CB 750C

And so it begins... my winter project, complete rebuild. Today tank removed, carbs pulled, and carb disassembly has begun. I'm a noob so well see how this goes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using DO THE TON mobile app

Attachments

• 1478356812001.jpg
    1478356812001.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 365
  • 1478356821411.jpg
    1478356821411.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 361
  • 1478356830711.jpg
    1478356830711.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 360
I don't know why anyone would outright call them "undesireable". The 'C' model outsold the 'K' and 'F' models combined, 2-1. Perhaps the huge popularity oft hem back in the day and the resultant market glut make the base and sport models appear "rare" 35 years later.
The Custom has different geometry than its siblings (actually they each have their own tweaks to the front end), set up to be more comfortable over longer trips. This unfortunately results in far less sporty handling than the Super Sport CB750F. To paraphrase Tony Foale, "everything is a compromise. The fastest, most razor sharp racing bikes ever would be miserable on a long trip; the rider would be cramped and aching in places he didn't know he had, and his teeth would eventually be rattled out of his head. Conversely, the most comfortable touring bike would suffer greatly in a no-holds-barred road race."
The 750C is a sweet bike, but may not be the first choice for making into a performance oriented speed machine. Maybe better stock if you wanted to build a cb750 bobber or brat. The F is more geared towards the performance-minded (and not nearly as pleasant to take on trips, I have one of each). And the K could go either way, as I'd assume it's the middle-of-the-road setup.

Have fun with the carbs - they aren't nearly as hard as they initially look. There is a PDF that comes up on the first page of google search all about "CB750C carb rebuild" that you will want to follow if you haven't already.

Thanks Mork, I appreciate the encouragement, I actually printed that pdf a few days ago and went by that for my disassembly. Now I'm going to soak and clean everything then put it all back together once I get my kits in the mail. Any recommendations for chemicals to clean with, I picked up a spray carb cleaner but what should I soak them in? I've read pinesol anyone tried it? Mork I've been following your build and it's coming along nicely, you've got a sweet looking ride that's along the lines of what I'm going for.

Cookie said:
I don't know why anyone would outright call them "undesireable". The 'C' model outsold the 'K' and 'F' models combined, 2-1. Perhaps the huge popularity oft hem back in the day and the resultant market glut make the base and sport models appear "rare" 35 years later.
The Custom has different geometry than its siblings (actually they each have their own tweaks to the front end), set up to be more comfortable over longer trips. This unfortunately results in far less sporty handling than the Super Sport CB750F. To paraphrase Tony Foale, "everything is a compromise. The fastest, most razor sharp racing bikes ever would be miserable on a long trip; the rider would be cramped and aching in places he didn't know he had, and his teeth would eventually be rattled out of his head. Conversely, the most comfortable touring bike would suffer greatly in a no-holds-barred road race."
The 750C is a sweet bike, but may not be the first choice for making into a performance oriented speed machine. Maybe better stock if you wanted to build a cb750 bobber or brat. The F is more geared towards the performance-minded (and not nearly as pleasant to take on trips, I have one of each). And the K could go either way, as I'd assume it's the middle-of-the-road setup.

awh the "Rare" factor, im glad to hear that there isn't some flaw or something i was otherwise unaware of, ill keep it at that sorry to thread jack.

Not so much undesirable as a whole. But, undesirable in that the frame geometry of the C doesn't fit well with building a "café racer."

Not much to do with rare or not.

CB MIKE said:
Thanks Mork, I appreciate the encouragement, I actually printed that pdf a few days ago and went by that for my disassembly. Now I'm going to soak and clean everything then put it all back together once I get my kits in the mail. Any recommendations for chemicals to clean with, I picked up a spray carb cleaner but what should I soak them in? I've read pinesol anyone tried it? Mork I've been following your build and it's coming along nicely, you've got a sweet looking ride that's along the lines of what I'm going for.

I use Pinesol on almost all my aluminum parts, usually an overnight soak, hit with a toothbrush, rinse and repeat with a shorter soak the second time around.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I've never used pine sol...I've always used simple green dilluted in an ultra sonic cleaner with much success. Cook them a bit, wash with hot water, Then I spray out passages with carb spray, then blast with air to dry and blow any that didn't come off with the spray. I also hit the vacuum piston and chamber with brasso to polish it super smooth. Good luck!

Good progress this weekend, carbs cleaned and front end disassembled. Wish my carb kits were here so I could put them back together. Hopefully next weekend.

Attachments

• 1479074820982.jpg
    1479074820982.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 349
  • 1479074827810.jpg
    1479074827810.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 358
Anyone try this cognito airbox replacement?
https://cognitomoto.com/products/cb750-air-intake-box-sohc-and-dohc?variant=11585138177
Curious what type of tuning is required when using this. Will you run into similar issues as running pods? Also their description says it fits k models, would that also work for the c?

CB MIKE said:
Anyone try this cognito airbox replacement?
https://cognitomoto.com/products/cb750-air-intake-box-sohc-and-dohc?variant=11585138177
Curious what type of tuning is required when using this. Will you run into similar issues as running pods? Also their description says it fits k models, would that also work for the c?

Shoot Devin (SpeedBump on here) a PM, hear he's usually pretty quick to respond. Likely have to jet up a bit from stock, but don't quote me on that.

Steel Dragon Performance makes them as well for the DOHC. They have built in velocity stacks as well.

esmoojee said:
Steel Dragon Performance makes them as well for the DOHC. They have built in velocity stacks as well.
I've seen those ones too. I like the look of the cognito ones I'm just trying to figure out if the same issues arise as with pods on these carbs, rejetting & tuning for a not so significant performance change. I'm a noob so all the carb work is new to me and I'm not trying to get in over my head or spend that kind of $ without knowing for sure.

Also picked up an 81 750f for $100. Mocked up the tank. Anyone know if the swing arm will bolt up easily? I'd like to swap for the disc rear. I know the master cylinder and such will need brackets.

Attachments

• 1480873862504.jpg
    1480873862504.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 343
I hear you on the carb stuff. It can be a little overwhelming. As far as the swingarm it should just drop right in. I don't thing there should be any issues.

Looking good! I'm also interested in the cognito moto filter for my 750C. My buddy gave me pod filters for free that he never used for a project he had but I hear so many horror stories. Be sure to update if you get the Cognito unit.

Cheers

I'm going to hold off on the filter for now. This is the response I got from cognito "These are much like pods. They do have more internal volume but will require re-jetting. We've sold a number of these without issue."

Latest update got the f tank mounting bracket fit up and welded. She fits like a glove. Threw the light and bars on quick just to get a feel for it. The other bike is my goal for the rear end take note of my sweet paint skills. Ignore my hideous welds.

Attachments

• 1482529049612.jpg
    1482529049612.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 925
  • 1482529156120.jpg
    1482529156120.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 936
  • 1482529192388.jpg
    1482529192388.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 340
  • 1482529203799.jpg